All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Space Sims - Discuss

rockyrocket

Also, interesting how the topic went from Space Sims, to VR lol.

The two meld so perfectly.

I'd love to see Fantasia redone with artist interpretation hand drawn in VR like this. I think it's untraveled territory that melds the analog and digatal atrform in an entirely new, but seamless maner. I think it will be gloryous! I always perferred the hand drawn animation to CGI. Ithink this would bridge that gap nicly.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if it makes for a better product......

Reading around it seems that at the moment the Vive is edging in front the RIFT from folks that have tried both - BUT that is only when compared to the DK2 and not the CV1 version off the rift, only time will tell I guess.

Just not sure I can resist long enough though! :unsure: .

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Came across this while looking into VR cockpits for use with ED. Pretty rudimentary at the moment but looks very promising.

I am thinking of building something like this:
2014-110.jpg
I was thinking that under the right controls would be a great place to house a traditional tower PC case. There would be no monitor, just the Oculus Rift. So, it would be essentially a VR only gaming station, cords come up over the back of the chair nice and clean. You could always run a cable to a TV nearby, or better up the wall behind the chair to a projector to display on opposing wall. Would be nice addition to a game room.
  • Like 2

Yes that chair does look nice, and reminds me of This project a lot.

The main thing that worries me about those designs is still the lack of a keyboard tray and mouse for later on in elite and definitely for the star citizen FPS stuff we have already.

I still swear by having a keyboard handy for elite, but did yesterday manage to get voice dictation into the comms panel to work about 99% accurately with a combo of voice attack and Dragon naturally, so no more blind typing! :).

Dragon is damn expensive software though, and is a bit flakey in SC.

Personally I made a new set of arms for my office chair with a big flat platform then added some removable arm padding and a keyboard tray with my HOTAS attached.

Looks a bit like an overgrown baby high chair but fits under my desk for normal usage..

post-6857-0-57129400-1451306893_thumb.jp

post-6857-0-40726500-1451306935_thumb.jp

When in star citizen I can still reach my mouse and also a Nostromo pad, can not really see me changing this set up

post-6857-0-26185600-1451307030_thumb.jp

• Like 2

But how do you get out that chair quickly if your mother-in-law visits? :o

My old HOTAS died so I splurged on a Thrustmaster warthog and that thing is HEAVY - that whole tray just rests in place just fine under its own mass.

So I just pick it up and place it on the desk.

Think I will weigh it as I am curious now.

Edit - 8.3KG