All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Setup Wizard stops working after update GameEx

retroplayer

After updateing GameEx, i get the the error-message from windows "setupmamanger" stops working if i try to start it.

with long research i found out, that it seems depend on my GameEx.ini.

if i delete it and install it over gameex so that it creates a standard gameex.ini, setupmanager is working.

but this means i would lose my whole configuration wich costs me hours,days and month to create.

all my work is gone. this can t. HELP please!

greetings

Welcome to the GameEx forums retroplayer

Please provide your .ini and config.

See the links in my sig if you need assistance finding these.

On an outside chance, are you running an AMD GPU? If so make sure you didn't install, or at least disable Raptr client that is now included with the catalyst driver suite before trying to launch either GameEx or PBX, it causes them both to crash at launch on many rigs.

Thank you tthurman!

!

i attached my GameEx.ini. hopeing it helps.

i read that for other configs i must launch setupmanager wich is not possible, like i told.

yes, i am useing an amd-cpu with integratet gpu.

i use an older driver and not the newst one becouse my system is also an htpc and i am very senseitive with driver updates...

so i don t know if this driver already has this Raptr client and if so, how can i disable or deinstall?

everything was working before i updatet gameex to the latest version. now i have the spoken problem with setupmanager. i can t start it...

i have the suspect, that the issue has to do with latest changeing in gameex introduced here: 6th July, 2015 - Introducing the repository - GameEx 14.2 http://www.gameex.com/Portals/0/PortalNews.htm

but this only an sugestion...

GameEx.ini

If you have it installed it will start with windows, and be in the taskbar by your clock. If you don't use it, you can uninstall it via control panel.

If you were running fine before, then it may have nothing to do with it, but it does seem to happen quite frequently.

The release from July 6 is now old, are you current (14.31) with GameEx now?

Since you've got so much invested into your setup, if you haven't already done so, I would recommend backing up your important files, ini, config etc..

You can do an over the top installation of GameEx, this is how the updating process works anyway. After backing up the appropriate files, you may want to give this a try.

• Like 1

The release from July 6 is now old, are you current (14.31) with GameEx now?

i have the latest version now, beouse it has autoupdatet itself. but wich version exact this is, i don t know.

Since you've got so much invested into your setup, if you haven't already done so, I would recommend backing up your important files, ini, config etc..

You can do an over the top installation of GameEx, this is how the updating process works anyway. After backing up the appropriate files, you may want to give this a try.

i already did so. like i told, it creates then a new gameex.ini and setupmamanger is working,

but this is no option, becouse i lose then my whole configuration!

if i copy my saved gameex.ini back, then i have the spoken issue!

the only workaround i found is, if i install GameExSetup V.14.07 over, then setupmanager is working with my gameex.ini

so the suspect is near that it has to do with changes in newer versions of gameex.

but i am an enduser only and its not possible for me to say on wich on the thousands entries in gameex.ini the problem is depending..!

its overtakeing completly my little knoweldge!

3. Post your Log

IF GameEx "Crashes", There is an error log that may help you find out why. To view it, Go to: Start Menu > Program Files > GameEx > Utilities> Log File
Take a look towards the bottom, and see if it shows an error:

Edited by tthurman
oops, yep I meant log earlier.

Sounds like you've got something else going on that's not related to GameEx. I was thinking you used startup manager as a generic term for the config wizard.

I've had three machines get flaky just this last week, from unannounced patches being applied when I restarted. I suspect some of this behavior may be do to some pre-windows 10 things being pushed in advance of the release due to my reservation on these machines, but of course that's just speculation.

If you are in fact describing some proprietary system software, then it sounds like a good time to do some system troubleshooting.

• Like 1

Thank you!

if i do so, windows give me a message in that form: there is no log.txt, would you like to delete the link?

and starting gameex is also not the problem. gameex is working, but setupmanager is not..!

The log will also show if there's something unusual happening during GameEx runtime. It's pretty standard around here to request that users post their log and GameEx.ini when requesting assistance. It's all laid out right here actually. In all honesty your log is probably more informative than your settings file. Thanks in advance! :)

Sounds like you've got something else going on that's not related to GameEx. I was thinking you used startup manager as a generic term for the config wizard.

I was also wondering this exact thing. What is the Startup Manager? If it's a standard Windows component it's something that I've not heard of.

• Like 1

Sorry Guys,

it seems you understund me wrong: i mean setup-wizard from gameex.

it was unluckly impressed becouse its not called setupmanager, its called setup-wizard;)

sorry, my fault. with this component of gameex i have the spoken problem!

log:

i want provide a log, but there is none...

You obviously know this, but setup wizard is a component for configuring GameEx by headkaze, that creates and modifies the .ini

Sounds like it, or something it is dependent on has become corrupted, especially since everything else is working I don't think you can remove this as a single component and re-install it.

I'm not sure why 14.07 would still work, while 14.31 doesn't. If this was a widespread problem with post July 6 releases, we would surely be overwhelmed with posts about it by now.

Just some ideas, but given what you are describing I would proceed with caution in mind (good backups)

Without a log we can't see your OS, so some things may not apply should you be on xp.

Over the top install of GameEx (I have to believe this really should fix a problem related to the application if there is one)

system file checker scan

from an elevated command prompt you can check to see if you have any issues.

sfc/scannow

takes a little while, and if it finds anything, reboot and run it again. It may take sevaral reboot and runs to clean it up, if your lucky.

Any important failed windows updates post July 5th?

Ensure .net framework is still properly installed.

setup wizard is a component for configuring GameEx

yes and this makes the problem really big for me becouse without a working setup wizard, i am not able to add new emulators, change config and so on..!

Without a log we can't see your OS, so some things may not apply should you be on xp.

well, like i said, i have this entry in gameex utilities, but if i klick the link, windows says there is no log...

i am useing windows7 64bit by the way.

i have the lattest windows updates also depending framework.

from an elevated command prompt you can check to see if you have any issues.

sfc/scannow

this for finding general problems in windows. i don t think that it would help to find the specifig issue i have...

this for finding general problems in windows. i don t think that it would help to find the specifig issue i have...

I'm aware of this, but something's is causing Ben's application not to launch.

Also, I was just making a point that without the log we can't see your OS, and therefore I could easily be suggesting things that may not necessarily work given your setup.

sfc/scannow gives a message in this kind: resourceprotection found damaged files and was not able to repair some of this files. details you see in a logfile. this says absolut nothing like i feared and i bet, this will find on as good as all windows-systems errors...

i tried it two times, everytime with the same message above.

i restartet the system.

issue still occurs;(

addition:

it seems setupmamanger creats a file called FXSAPIDebugLogFile in: C:\Users\(your-user-name)\AppData\Local\Temp.

but its only temperoraly. as soon i click the windows message: do you want information to this problem - away, it disapears.

the content of this file, wich i have copied bevor, i provide you here:

maybe it helps. couse i don t know, if it has sensible informations, i will delete the content i postet lowly, after you took a look.

content deletet...

Yep, unlikely that's it, as I get that on most 7 machines. Still, it's a pretty painless starting point, that has now been eliminated.

I just downloaded and installed 14.31 on a machine that has never had GameEx on it. Windows 7 64 bit SP1 as well.

Everything works as it should. Setup wizard repeatedly launches without issue for me.

Perhaps someone else will chime in with some ideas.

sounds not good at all. it seems i will lose my whole configuration to get setup-wizard working in the new version of gameex.

like you can read above, everything is pointing to the posibility that setup-wizard has a problem with my gameex.ini.

but like i said, i am enduser only and can t say with wich of the thousands entries in gameex.ini setup.wizard exactly has the problem.

i think this can only the dev/programmer of setup wizard. i hope he take a look into this thread.

you was very tried to help, i thank you for that!

regards

@retroplayer: With a bit of digging, I think I got it figured out. Try the attached GameEx.ini and see if it works for you.

It sounded to me like the SetupWizard was failing to load the GameEx.ini file. What I found was that under the [setupWizard] parameters, Fontsize was set as "FontSize=1,5". I changed it to "FontSize=1" and the file loaded successfully. I cannot say how that change would have happened, short of a mistake in manually editing the file. I've not known the the SetupWizard to save improper data.

And by the way, the FontSize in that section relates to how large the text in the Setup Wizard will be displayed. I am pretty sure you do want 1 and not 5...cuz 5 is HUGE! :D

GameEx.ini

• Like 2

it can be that i settet the font size to an higher level. i sit about 3 meters away from the lcd, maybe for configureing things. if i settet it higher, then i settet it maybe to 1.5 or 2, but sure not to 5;)

i tried it with your file and setup-wizard is starting again and it seems everything is still there;)

i already feared, that i have to make my whole configurating and all relatet stuff again. puh, that was close. now i feel very alleviated; )

Great Job, Thank you very much!

• Like 1

So now fur the million dollar question. Is the Setup Wizard setting the font size to 1,5 instead of 1.5?

That would be a bug obviously. :)