All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Windows 10 update notification

Krakerman

Tonight I noticed a windows logo icon by my clock in the taskbar .... looks like Microsoft gives you an option to reserve a copy and will notify me and update when it's released. Anyone else get this?

I got it, wonder how long the offer is.

Funny, just doing some reading on this, and the user comments are pretty hilarious. Some people are so paranoid, "it's a pre-release beta, you must be an expert, or crazy to do this" Geez, my guess is after the bad public reception 8 got, largely unwarranted IMO, that this will nice bridge between 7 and 8, most likely giving us the best of both, along with new features, and performance increases.

For the record, this page sums it up.

Looks like a year after release.

Edited by tthurman

My question is whether it will be a lateral upgrade? In other words, will my Windows Professional editions upgrade to Windows 10 Professional, or will I be trading away Professional features for a shiny coat of Windows 10 Standard Edition paint? I haven't clicked through on the notification yet, so maybe that's all explained as part of the offer. OTOH I've not seen that clarification made anywhere else (in the brief time I've had to investigate)

Just read that windows media center will be uninstalled. I like media center. I use it for my HTPC, which is the one I'm considering updating. I know GameEX does this, but honestly I perferr WMC for DVDs. Is there an equivelent on 8 or 10 anyone is aware of?

BTW: I'm back! Finished that Collage thing (Hardest 2 years of my life, especially the last 6 months. 100hr weeks are brutal)

That feels a little daft - M$ put all that effort into designing MediaCentre and then retract it. They mustav smelt more $$

Maybe it's secretly built into Windows 9?

wb Felix - that's intriguing - what Collage thing? 100 hours a week for 6 months? What you been collaging, the Great Wall of China?

• Like 1

There is a version of WMC for Windows 8.1, but, if you purchase it and install it, then decide to upgrade to 10, it will be gone. Because of the various free and purchased HTPC solutions available (i.e, Kodi, Plex, etc.), MS has decided that supporting WMC is no longer in their best interest. It's a shame but it is what it is. I can understand from a "standardizing the code across all supported platforms (tablets, PCs, Xbox One, Windows Phones)" perspective that this makes things easier for them.

wb Felix - that's intriguing - what Collage thing? 100 hours a week for 6 months? What you been collaging, the Great Wall of China?

Woops! Spelling err, I didn't say I was going to an Ivy League College. LOL. No I just finished my Baccalaureate. I suppose I could activate the spell check in firefox, but for security reasons I like to keep the 3rd party extentions to a minimum ;)

I actually just got a Bluray drive for my HTPC. Just downloaded VLC, did the special Magic to get it to play BR but it would be nice to frontend that process. Looks like WMC won't play them, as I read before I purchased. Is there a reason why? Greed? Or will 10 possably make this possable within, say, windows media player?

And Microsoft is giving away windows 10 to all the 7 and 8.1 users? Geez! They have the money to give away a free OS but won’t pay Sony for a Codec? They must be suffering from Dissociative personality disorder (AKA Multiple Personality Disorder). What’s next? Maybe they'll decide to stop paying for digitally signed drivers, so they don’t have to pay them selves. Figure that one out!

Don't get me wrong, free is a very good price (As long as it's addless). It just seems like this change is out of character for the money grubbing, penny pinching Microsoft I grew up knowing. The Bluray support is par for the course, but a free OS? #Nonsense

I'm not sure if you recall this or not, but for windows 8 they gave away a free licence for WMC for quite some time. It came with one caveat, you had a deadline to install it. If you waited past the deadline the activation key became invalid, it would still take, and "look" like it was working, but upon reboot, surprise! Yes I learned the hard way!

At any rate, during this time they announced that DVD playback cost them right at I believe $10 per copy in fees, which I suppose is where the add on price was derived from. They went onto comment that it had become such a niche market, that they felt it was already better served by third parties, and that it would likely be the end of WMV. It wasn't much, if any different that WMC for 7, and so it appears they abandoned development on it some time ago.

Ya know Sony could not charge them too...but they too are greedy.

FWIW, college is what I read, and never looked back. :blink:

I preferred the idea of a nine month collage... :(

wtg with yer degree. :)

I previously held 2 Associates degrees from junior college, so I only needed to take the Upper division coursework. I've been working after the associates, lost the job then went back to school. Now I got the old job back. In case you’re wondering about that too. I was bumped from my position by another employee with seniority when her position was eliminated. She retired 6 months ago, hence the 100hr weeks working + School.

• Like 1

Congrats man!

That kind of self motivation and commitment is increasingly a rarity these days. I always told myself, "I'll go back" but my dad was spot on when he called BS on that one.

My hat is off to you for sticking it out, especially through the hell years! :cheers:

I'm a firm believer that you shouln't go to college unless you need the degree for work. Why pay off the student loans if you don't need to? I only got it because advancement to a full time position requires it. But I already had been working where I plan to. It makes getting the degree harder, big time commitment, but knowing for sure you have a job when you graduate helps to swallow the debt! Having a HS Diploma and Baccalaureate now are equivalent in pay, depending on what you want to do and where your willing to go for work. Most of the jobs in my area that require a four year degree i've looked at pay $36,000 - $45,000 per year. When I was working metal Fabrication, it had a higher top end for journeyman than that! So, it just made more sense to wait untill I was sure I needed the degree to make the jump. It just depends on the type of work you want to do and the abilitys you are willing to gain. I'm told it gives me more options. We'll see...

Don't beat your self up, or let others beat you up. Education comes in all forms, free and paid. Whether you have a HS Diploma or a PHD means nothing if you can't find work. Find the work first! Then get the school, if necessary. Besides, many jobs now require a highly specialized skillset and employers are willing to send some employees to school for them to get it, if they can't train you themselves first. Just put yourself out there.

Well I have a degree and make more than that... It was the best decision I ever made. Without the degree I'd still be selling gas for the family business. No thanks. ;)