All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Windows 8.1 + Mame64 = Slow to load games?

Adultery

Hey crew, kind of at a loss here, so I thought I would put it out there.

Ever since I upgraded my cab to Windows 8.1 Pro 64 and Mame64, my games take ftom 45-60 seconds to load. It's maddening!

I use HK's Mame Compiler and enable DI, hi-score/no nag patch, nothing special. My games are stored on a server, but slways have been and things load much faster with x86 Mame for some reason. So I'm thinking maybe it's in the compile.

Has anyone else seen behavior like this? Everything else runs better thsn ever, just Mame misbehaving.

Nope, just the rom. My network runs pretty smooth so the bottleneck isn't there... My steam games run off the nas and load nice and fast, and some are pretty sizeable.

I did what I always do I think, but not sure since I lost my default options when I re-installed.

What I should probably do is get the exe pre-compiled and benchmark.

Drat, this is a headache. Should have left well enough alone, but x86 and 4 gb of ram (not to mention the inability to use recent Dolphin builds) was beginning to be intolerable. ;)

My only difference is 'optimize for' is set to 'none'.

I will be doing some digging over the weekend and hopefully I can sleuth it out. :)

7 was flawless for me, I guess its the aggrivation of having to set everything up again. I thought it would be a good idea to start over since so much has changed from when I came in as a new user. Probably not on top of my list of brilliant ideas. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Turns out this was a server issue, or rather an issue with the configuration of one of the roles it uses. My games load in ~3 seconds now. :)

As a matter of fact, it was on my nas box. I should have been more specific. I keep my games on a nas4free box and I was using an alpha build of v10. This last weekend I wanted to set up OwnCloud with my DDNS and my jail wasn't working (ddns was not reporting properly either), so I reverted my nas box back to 9.0.3 to set that up.

After that my network speeds seemed to increase substantially, and after I reset the group and user permissions the problem went away. I have also switched to minidlna since I was working with jails anyways, so it was one of those things.

My educated guess is that the alpha 10 build was having some type of negotiation issues, but it may well have been the integrated dlna I was using.

No changes to the Windows Server, so that rules that out. In the end, I'm using Windows Server less and less and may just free up the machine that runs on and use the nas box instead. I'm still not fully decided on that. In all honesty, running the Windows Server just for outlook, users, sql and remote access seems futile for my setup.

Haha, well that wound up being awfully wordy! :-)