All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Problem with theme view changing and ESC key not working?

aldub516

There are many features that can be disabled via Setup Wizard under Enable /Disable Features. You can disable Change View, Escape Key to Exit GameEx, Theme Picker, and many others. Experiment with these to see if you can remedy some of the issues you are encountering.

They dont. They escape key setting is fine. I can use my escape key up until i change view into my intended space invaders theme, then im locked into the mame menu and my mame items. I can work on removing options later to minimize the bar, but my main issue is why am i booting into a default theme?

I just learned that draco released an HD version of the space invaders theme, so i downloaded that and completely changed my theme.. But it is still doing the same thing. It is loading to a boring default gameex theme. When i go to "my mame games" and enter my mame menu, it will switch to the mame invaders theme, but anything before that is stuck in the default theme.. wtf :(

I'll preface this by mentioning I've never attempted any sort of theme editing, or fiddling about inside the themes.ini file, but what you are describing is not normal behavior. Granted another member just recently posted with similar "returning to default themes" problems, to which no resolution has currently been found and/or confirmed. I have however tried and used so many of the themes, I couldn't tell you how many, and I have never encountered the issue you are experiencing.

I believe this may be one of the reasons this thread isn't seeing many responses, but many times the right answer comes from a member who only logs in once a week or so.

The only suggestion I have is downloading a new copy of the current release and simply reinstalling it. It sounds like something has become corrupted, and this may correct it. This should go off without a hitch, but it's always good to maintain a backup.

I feel like im running circles trying to finish this machine. Its one redundant problem that just arises out of no where for no reason.

I guess ill try a fresh install, which im sure will lead to another 2 days or game list updating, setting adjustments and other random senseless problems.

Its just weird. It starts as the default theme.. When i manually navigate to the mame menu, it turns into the space invaders theme. When i escape back, it goes back to the default theme. BUT, when i initially start at the default theme if i go to the top and click "change view", it will take me straight to my mame menu with space invaders theme, but i am then locked in that menu and escape is disabled..

So clicking "change view", and going the my mame menu manually is giving me two different reactions.

I also just tried 3 other themes, and they are NOT experiencing any problems. Id say it could be the space invaders themes, but they were working perfectly fine and then just broke for no reason

What you want to do is open the theme in the theme editor and drag that off the screen or open the theme.ini and change the coordinates for that item to something off your display areas.

• Like 1

What you want to do is open the theme in the theme editor and drag that off the screen or open the theme.ini and change the coordinates for that item to something off your display areas.

Fair warning: although this method will remove the menu visibly from the theme, it isn't actually "physically" removed (it is only out of view). So, if you press left or right, your "cursor" will disappear offscreen to the menu. This is a known workaround and the best offered at this moment.

If you decide to go this route i would suggest disabling any left/right controls in GameEx entirely.

/2c

• Like 2

Yes, the linked thread is referring to what i call the "mouse bar", which gets activated when the mouse/trackball/similar hits the top of the screen, much like the Taskbar in Windows. It will trigger a menu in which you can do various things like launch Media Center, start/stop/skip music tracks, adjust volume etc.

The menu this OP is trying to hide is the horizontal "category" bar, which also houses Exit/Home etc depending on settings :)

At least i think that is what is happening! lol Now i'm doubting myself :lol:

Easily done, and as you confessed, you've not messed with themes as of yet - i only knew the difference because i have dabbled with themes myself. They both get referred to as "the top menu" after all! May be it's about time we came up with specific names for these two distinct menus huh ^_^

Edited by DazzleHP
missed half a sentence :P

Thank you for all of the above advice! As of now, i disable left right navigation, so when i do go up to that top menu, i can only choose "back" which really cant harm anything, besides going back in the menu. Im just super anal and it is bothering me to death... Ill see what i can do to work around it. otherwise ill suck it up and just stop being a baby :(

thank you all! My main issue of the default menu popping up has been fixed so im happy for now.

I'm breaking the lock on this topic just this once, because i believe that the following information will help you towards your goal.

Go to Setup Wizard> Custom> Input Settings. Change Loop List to Yes.

This will mean, that together with disabling your left/right movement, GameEx will simply jump to the start/end of the list instead of moving to the offscreen menu ;)

If it works you may thank me by PM if your are so inclined, if not, and you have more troubles then please start a new thread.

• Like 2