All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

I don't want to pay for it...

Draco1962

I came across this while downloading/installing Greenshot (great image capture tool in the vein of Snag-It, but free unless you wish to donate):

post-5872-0-88314600-1420652136_thumb.pn

I am certain that the costs of creating and supporting a program are dependent upon many variables, some not even captured by the table itself. This donation table is still eye-opening even in its simplicity. Regardless of whether you are enjoying GameEx, PinballX, or any other free or practically free software or service, even a small donation is helpful in defraying some of the operational expenses and keeping the product/service alive.

This is one reason I get a "little bent" when a non-supporting user comes in, is argumentative and demanding, or demeans the efforts of the Owner and Authors of GameEx or PinballX demanding that something be fixed or added, or that they are not going to pay until the next major release of the product is out.

The other reason is that I am just a grumpy cat in an old man's body and I don't need a reason. I had a reason once. It was terrible.

Alrighty. </soapbox_mode OFF> Have a great day!

• Like 5

• 8 months later...

With all honesty, I'm embarrassed that we seemingly can't get Tom, who hasn't asked for much of anything really, to meet his measly 500 GBP, for a selfless good cause no less.

Yeah, you gotta buy GameEx to rid yourself of the nag screen, or you got to become a basic member so you can hit up the FTP sites for PinballX. Big whoop, it's a couple beers and and order of wings with a tip one night out. The big difference here is this is small investment keeps on giving!

I know I'm just ranting, but hell, he could have just released both of these, and walked away. I mean, it's not uncommon or anything!

When something is of quality, it's supported, and a lot of times it's solely from the community. Here you've got so many people helping out it's almost unbelievable, but at same time the man himself is still plugging away to not only support his software, but add features to it to support other developers. Hell, he even helps support the members at emumovies with his coding talents.

I know that everyone has their own set of real life issues to deal with, and some of you may feel my comments are unjustified. My intent is not to offend anyone, but if you come here, enjoy what you got, and appreciate the support, at least think about giving something back. GameEx is 10 years old, and I'd say it's a fair statement to say that none of us has sprung for any bandwidth, associated Telecom costs, hardware, licencing or hosting charges. A community this size should at least be able to collectively show Tom enough gratitude to make his charity drive a successful one!

• Like 4

Hobby's full of miserable myopic buggers who just take and criticise. If it wasnt for a few good men, id leave them to it and share/contribute nothing just like they do. Havent been on byoac for ages...

It is quite embaressing how many people havent donated to toms cause. Sad endictment of modern living really.

I really do agree with what some of you all are saying (even if this did start as a jest), but I will also play a little devil's advocate.

It seems that many developers are skimpy about what they release for free because it feels like they have a difficult time deciding what to include for free and what to include for paid...but, there are a few gems (like Tom) who not only show give more of the product to the public for free to use and test, but the quality of the product is also very good.

When I started looking for front ends years ago, I was trying various free programs to get a feel for what was out there. GameEx was the best of the bunch because of it's features and community, but also because it was a full product (for the most part) with the only real annoyance was a minimally-annoying nag screen. Initially, I was ok with living with a nag screen, but after spending a lot of time setting things up, I came to realize what a great little program it was. It wasn't long after that I felt the $15 or $17 he was asking was extremely fair for what I was getting, so I threw some money at him.

I lost interest in the emu scene for a while, but eventually returned (to set up GameEx for the forty-seventh time) and these days I give a little back by sometimes helping others through the forum. That's my way of giving a little more than the original $15 I paid.

However, (and here is the devil's advocate), I have to admit that I would have a hard time justifying to myself to pre-purchase Evolution for $46 without being able to tinker with it. I do trust that the crew working on it will come up with a really nice program though and I hope that they release a featured pack 'demo' when it comes time so that the people who are not quite sure will have something to play with and fall in love with. :)

Anyway, that's my two shekles.

• Like 2

And a fine job of helping others you do, I might add.

One thing I admire about how Tom runs things, is he notes when somebody like yourself is going that extra mile, and rewards them for it. I'm betting Evo draws you back in big-time as soon as you get it downloaded and installed :D

• Like 1

And a fine job of helping others you do, I might add.

One thing I admire about how Tom runs things, is he notes when somebody like yourself is going that extra mile, and rewards them for it. I'm betting Evo draws you back in big-time as soon as you get it downloaded and installed :D

Absolutely, living proof here :D He's also one of the most generous Devs that exists - not only because of what he gives away for free in unregistered GameEx (have you seen the list?!), but also how he looks after his loyal customers.

I'm cheesey i know, but Tom is a frikkin Star.

I am sure that there will be a similar "unregistered version" feature set with Evo to what is available now with GameEx. Tom takes care of those that are frequent and regular contributors to the forum communities,

Of course, the original intent of this thread was to communicate a basic understanding to those who seem to think that their access to the Internet from their PC or other devices via their paid internet service does not commute to free everything else. Companies large and small, and even hobbyist programmers have to pay for their tools, storage space, etc. to make possible the things we often take for granted.

If the price is too much? Don't buy it! If there are not enough people subscribing or showing an interest, like retailers, programmers will promote sales pricing for a time or reduce their pricing to encourage purchases, but within reason. They, too, have their bills to pay for hosting and developing their product.