All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Browser preference

tthurman

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you use?

• IE
    • Firefox
    • Chrome
    • Opera
    • Maxthon

Perhaps more and more is content is just getting packed into sites these days, or Firefox is becoming more and more unstable. I find my favorite browser irritating as of late with so many lockups and crashes. I went back to Chrome during one the projects here, and found it to be markedly improved. What's your current pick?

Yeah I've pretty much converted to Chrome completely, primarily due to the fact that it synchronizes my content across all supported devices (primarily bookmarks, but also passwords if I chose to do that). It's conforms to CSS rendering standards, and it's JavaScript engine is on par with or exceeds that of Firefox. Unfortunately you do have to "buy-in" to the Google eco-system to really get the most out of Chrome, but for the most part that Eco-System is full of good applications and cool widgets, so that part is (mostly) fine with me.

I've not fully sent Firefox packing though, There are some great Firefox extensions that I still use semi regularly, that are only available in Firefox (I'm looking at you DownThemAll). So on my two main computers I do still keep both Firefox and Chrome around.

So I guess that counts as a split decision with a preference for Chrome.

• Like 1

Yeah, the "buy-in" thing has been the primary reason for not just going for it, but I'm realizing that resistance is futile!

For obvious reasons Chrome was a perfect match with stigzlers logo spread sheet, while at the same time it brought ie and ff to their knees.

Love Chrome, but am forced to use all major browsers at work.

I really do love Chrome though, and nP, pretty much nailed why... He just left out printer sharing. :)

I use both at the same time ... Chrome runs SiriusXM on a seperate monitor while Firefox is used as my main browser on my HDTV. I prefer Firefox just for the NoSquint extension as I haven't found a similar extension that works as good for Chrome.

The only time I use Internet Exporer is when I am working on a customer's computer. Just from those limited exposures I am still content to NOT use IE.

I've tried Chrome but because it's not what I'm used to I don't care for it all that much.

My primary is still Firefox. I haven't experienced any crashes at all and every extension I use works. Not sure what you are using your browser for that causes it to crash but it's never hit me like that. AdBlock Plus is my best friend. :wub:

I use Firefox. For me, it's been hella stable and I've never had a problem with it (knock on wood). The only issue I have is when I'm trying to do stuff with Publishers Clearing House. For some reason, it doesn't handle and load the redirects properly so I have to open PCH on Internet Explorer. Other than that, I'm happy with it.

Well I receive constant script errors and non-responsive errors, and not just on a single machine, but across about five workstations. Most recently, it just crashes. I'm in front of a browser constantly throughout the day, and I run vanilla, so it isn't the result of plugins and the like. I have the same behavior on each machine, perhaps most importantly my wife's :huh:. I've tried numerous fixes, including resets, but so far nothing has proven reliable over the long run. Switch to Chrome, and the problem is gone.

I first started experiencing this problem back in the early spring, and it has continued to worsen throughout the year.

tl:dr none of them will own me!

I'm a bit set in my ways when it comes to browsers - not that i haven't tried many of them - regularly too, but i always switch back to my old fave - FireFox. The extensions are invaluable to me, and it's always been stable as hell for me, so i'm not sure what is happening to you man. There was one pretty unstable release, a few months back but in all the years i've been using it that release was truly a one-off. A dev brain fart i think.

Now Chrome - i can see the appeal. It's fast (if you ain't like me), most features are available by default and as mentioned before it'll sync all your devices. It's also quite sleek. But i have major problems with it. Firstly, my behavior is probably outside of the norm but i usually have 15+ tabs open at once, sometimes even 25 or more and FF handles this no problem. In Chrome however i get noticeable instability when i go over 15. Secondly it can't do many things FF can - just to name one whilst echoing Aaron - DownThemAll + it's derivatives. Nothing can grab stuff en mass like FF can :P

Thirdly, and this a biggy for me - the constant frikkin nagging to give up my information! How many times do i have to answer NO?! It's relentless and i will forever stick my stubborn iron boot in the floor on this. It's not just Google, i know this. They are just one of many super-corporations at present leaching information from Average Joe for free and making millions of profit from it. That to me is wrong. I'm not a "freedom fighter" or anything of the sort, but i have got boundries.

Consider this - 15 years ago, a man knocks on your door in the evening after you get home from work. His opening line is "Hi sir/madame, i would like your most intimate details, and in exchange i will make your mail faster. All i want to know is: your full name, your spouses full name, your siblings, your spouses siblings, you and your spouses parents, your children, all of your DOB's, where you went to school, what qualifications you have, where you all work now, how long you have worked there... etc ... etc... oh and i'd like pictures of all of you - as many as you can manage."

You would either have:

1) laughed hysterically

2) pulled out a shotty and exclaimed "you've got 3 seconds to get the fek off my porch"

Right?

/rant

• Like 2