All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] v13.28 Strange startup behavior with GameEx since new install.

Matrix0507

Recently I wanted to clean up and standardize my gameex install. I downloaded the latest version and installed over the last. Now when I go to launch GameEx I get a simple window with the header "GameEx" and a "0" (zero) in the window, and the option to click "OK" to make it go away.

That's it. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, rebooting, trying other drives to install on. Nothing works.

Has anyone ever come across this error?

Any help would be appreciated.

This is all that is in my log after the crash:

11:20:23.1 8/28/2014: Opening Configuration File

Matrix,

Im getting the same thing, a gameex dialog, with either '0' or '16' or '31' in it... that's it...

click ok and it just quits.. my log is the same as yours... hmmm... hopefully someone will work this out

mak

Is there a resource for older versions of GameEx? It would be interesting to see if the old version still works.

Just a heads up, I downloaded a slightly older version from here: link removed

and now it's working.

Edited by Draco1962
Removed CNet link as it is not an authorized distribution.

@Matrix0507 - I removed the link you posted as files from CNet are not an authorized distribution for GameEx.

@Matrix0507 and shatshoes - Please provide complete copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt (Click here for additional information on how to find these files and others that may be required). Ensure that you have the latest version 13.28 installed. Thanks!

@Tom - there is a serious problem with the download for 13.28. I first noticed that there was no auto-update from within GameEx itself so I went to gameex.com to manually download the file for installation. I installed and then started GameEx and receive the error noted in the prior posts:

post-5872-0-27543600-1409268175_thumb.pn

Log.txt shows only one line (again as noted by the two posts above):

19:21:34.2 8/28/2014: Opening Configuration File

@Tom - there is a serious problem with the download for 13.28. I first noticed that there was no auto-update from within GameEx itself so I went to gameex.com to manually download the file for installation. I installed and then started GameEx and receive the error noted in the prior posts:

Just reporting in here. Apart from your "News" post i was unaware of any update. It didn't show in the front-end itself and so i haven't updated. Therefor i am fine! It seems the ones having trouble actually downloaded the latest and installed. As stated i always update within GameEx itself but i received no such notification to do so. Something may have gone wobbley? ^_^

• Like 1

Sorry about that fellas. I am releasing a replacement now. Give it ten minutes.

Just some feature code I was messing with and neglected to take out.

PS The good thing is that was 0 MS. So it was quick. lol.

Wow! Thanks for the fast fix Tom.

This is exactly why I have stuck with GameEx since 2007.

Confirmed working here as well. I did not get an update prompt within GameEx (I had been running the beta version so I wonder if that may be the cause?). Anyway, thanks for the quick response, Tom!

I switched things around yesterday to auto, mainly since I didn't get a prompt either. That said, I played around with the online portion of things on and off all day yesterday, and never so much as saw a hiccup.

Just wanted to post this, since I didn't see the anomalies that some others encountered. I'm running Windows 8.1 FWIW.

As always, thanks for everything you do!