All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Android games....

stigzler

Never thought I'd get into "mobile gaming" but absolutely loving some recent android games. One I've been playing tonight was phenomenal in temrs of polish, playability and presentation : The Room. Another recent was The Silent Age.

Dunno what it is about games like this. Its a bit like indie titles on xbox- loved brothers and limbo.

These games are all short but oh soo sweet. Obvious the developers are passionate about their craft rather than factory farming titles. And reasonably priced too. Only thing is with these games is I'm always left wondering why the authors didnt extend the games with dlc given the back ends are there... cummon.. more limbo and brothers please....

Anyone else digging android atm?

Are there any android emulators for windows? Of course, id have to add multi touch screen, tilt sensors and whutever else tablets have to my cab. Could be a job....

Let me get this straight, you spent months building a phat rig for the house, now your hooked on driod games, want to find a emulator for windows so you can run this on said rig, and what, leave this on attract mode? :P

Sorry, but after your "I never play games" post, I couldn't help myself! :ph34r:

• Like 2

I haven't played it much recently, but for a while there I went through a couple weeks in which I pretty much exclusively played Reaper on my tablet. It's fairly amazing the amount of polish and depth they were able to squeeze into an action RPG on a mobile platform, but they certainly did. I liked it so much I bought the desktop version on Steam as well (and in truth I do prefer playing it with a controller, but it's still pretty brilliant on a touch screen).

I'll have to look into The Room and the Silent Age, both of which I've not tried.

I don't own an android device, in fact i own no smart phone at all :P but the only experience i have with them is family members playing that Candy Crush day in day out like they're possessed - drives me effin crazy!! It's not like it's even a good game or something that hasn't been done 10 thousand times before :huh: I never did understand trends though which is why i probably get looked at the why i do :P

Love Limbo though and if i had to make a top 5 indie list Limbo would certainly be in it (i bought it twice after all)!

Anyone else digging android atm?

Are there any android emulators for windows?

Yeah I am playing with android a fair bit lately, mostly I think due to the games often being shorter and simpler.

This non complicated gameplay is also what I love about the retro games that got me into this hobby.

As for emulators look at Bluestacks - I have it on both my gameex cab and pincab.

This is mostly my experiences with bluestacks and PinbalX but most of the info is relevant to GameEx also.....

http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/14743-emulating-android-on-a-pincab/

• Like 1

I just purchased an NVidia Shield handheld. I have been looking for some good (free - $5) Android games as well.

I'll have to try the two you mentioned stigzler.

@nullPointer - Reaper looks cute. I'll have to give that a shot. :)

@DazzleHP - is Limbo just iOS? I don't see it for Android.

• Like 2

That's awesome! The Shield appears to be a pretty cool gaming platform. You'll have to report back with your general thoughts and experience with the device!

@nullPointer - Reaper looks cute. I'll have to give that a shot. :)

Cool man! It's pretty fun for what it is.

ProTip: Running into enemies is how to execute your 'standard' attack (i.e. holding the directional button toward an enemy while standing next to them (or while jumping toward them)). The controller buttons are reserved for your special 'rage' attacks (when playing with a controller). It took me a few tries to figure that out. It's a bit of an odd play mechanic but is a totally understandable concession being that the game is designed for touchscreen.

I'll have to try the two you mentioned stigzler.

It's gonna be horses for courses, innevitably... However, I'm still loving The Room (onto The Room 2). Kinda puzzle corssed with Myst with well rendered graphics and atmosphere.

Oh, and then there's Candy Crush.

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome! The Shield appears to be a pretty cool gaming platform. You'll have to report back with your general thoughts and experience with the device!

Well - to be honest - I haven't done much with it outside of emulation as yet.

It plays MAME 0.139u1 beautifully through MAME4droid. Automatically knows and configures the controller.

Retroarch is a Mednafen type emulator with many cores built in to it. For examples SNES can use BSNES, SNES9x or SNES9x Next. VBA emulation cores are VBA Next and VBA-M. Again, everything I have emulated I have to just figure what buttons are what command as it is auto-configured. I believe you can change button assignments but I haven't bothered trying as yet.

I have downloaded Puzzle Quest 2 from Google Play Store and it plays very well with the touch screen.

Netflix and Hulu work like you'd expect them to. The touch screen makes searches very easy with the QWERTY keyboard. Same for web browsing and Youtube. I always hated the PSP keyboard in the browser.

I have been back and forth with myself about buying a video card that will stream to the Shield but yesterday my video card died in my primary tower - sad but happy because now I can have an excuse to buy a great card and make sure I can use it with this.

Overall I am extremely happy with the Shield and I have yet to even unlock 1/4 of what this can do. Especially happy since I only paid $125 shipped from Amazon. I bought it used but you wouldn't be able to tell. Came with everything and not a scratch on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know of a way to play Myst/Riven on android? Seems like these games would be resurrected by a touchscreen. The room looks intriguing, i'd rater try it first, before buying (15 mins might not be enough). $1 not much to loose though, and puzzles are my favorites for android games, besides Pitch, of course, but then I have a soft spot in my heart for card games. Cribbage any one? Anyone? Crickets..chirp...chirp...No one seems to know how anymore. I have taken it on as my mission to teach the younger ADD stricken generation the merits of card games (other than poker).

• Like 1

Looks good.

Seen that documentary on indie game devs? Had to dev from fez on too - real labour of love.

What, Indie Game: the movie?, yes I did and it was fascinating to see those guys personalities.

Phil fish is an emotional chap though don`t you think?.

Anyone know of a way to play Myst/Riven on android? Seems like these games would be resurrected by a touchscreen. The room looks intriguing, i'd rater try it first, before buying (15 mins might not be enough). $1 not much to loose though, and puzzles are my favorites for android games, besides Pitch, of course, but then I have a soft spot in my heart for card games. Cribbage any one? Anyone? Crickets..chirp...chirp...No one seems to know how anymore. I have taken it on as my mission to teach the younger ADD stricken generation the merits of card games (other than poker).

R-P not familiar with Myst/Riven but the play store finds XON if you search those titles - just had a quick play and it looks good.

Oh and this may come as good news :) .......

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-play-expands-refund-window-to-two-hours/

• Like 1

2 hours? That is good news! As for Xon, looks good. I saw it but I didn't look hard. I'm a little put off by the episode business, seems like a rotten business model to sling out customers like a dope dealer. I prefer games to be all in one package. I'll probably check it out though.

• 2 months later...