All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Space required for gameex art

stuntpuppy

Hi, I am in the process of reinstalling gameEx to another PC. I installed it to drive c and there is around 20gb left on the drive and I figured I could change the drive locations for things such as roms. However I have also signed up for emumovies so can I change the location it downloads it's media to ? I did look in the configuration but wasn't able to find it.. Or am I better off installing on another drive.

Also when installing I used my old gameEx key ( I have purchased it again in preparation of Evolution ) how can I remove the old key ?

I'd defo go for another drive. Think my "Assets" (emu movies and other game related media) is presently running at about 400G.... and that's without adding all the gamecube stuff... depends on how much of a complete set or selective choices chap you are....

Also, best to keep the system/gameex drive with a bit of space free? Over time, you may need that 20G for other emulators etc... I keep all my main apps (emulators/frontends etc) on my main/system drive. Yeah.. I know I should partition it really... I'll set that up after I setup backups! :/

Someone may answer in more detail but unless they are not valid it will download to the paths you set for the emulators. If you want more control you can use the included emumovies downloader set the root folder in that and then point the GameEx Setup Wizard to those paths.

Don't worry about removing the old key for now. It wont cause you any problems. The new one will also work.

It has been awhile since I installed anything new and aquired new or updated artwork. As it sits right now, my system has an [Artwork] path which is sorted and has boxes, carts, screens, titles, manuals, and 480p vids of everything that was available at the last time I updated. It is currently taking only 50.3gb of space. That, however, does not include MAME as I have that stuff nested inside the MAME folders. All of everything is stored on 1x500gb drive, that includes all systems, emulators, roms, artwork extras. I currently have enough room for another 56.2gb.

I'm not sure why sigzler's extras is taking up 400gb. Perhaps he is including highdef themes for GameEx, or maybe a bunch of Hyperspin stuff (I know those can get rather large).

For me with just a 0.154 romset (no chds) the snaps are right at 9 GB.

Personally I prefer everything on the root drive, but this isn't always possible, especially if your tight on disk space already with plans to expand your collection. If you find yourself in that situation, and it's financially feasible, I would view it as a good reason to upgrade to larger drives. Whatever you decide, just make sure you have enough memory to handle the swap files without working your drives to death.

Soaking this up a bit more, I think I would prefer to have GameEx and the romset's on my root, and point to the snaps on any secondary storage (as I can't imagine this being a problem) in order to retain the best possible response time within GameEx while browsing/launching games. My .02 anyway!

Edited by tthurman

The boot drive is a ssd which explains why it was short on space.. Also the PC has 4gb of memory and the secondary drive where gameEx is going has 698gb of space. I think the bigger drive is a western digital black so should be pretty nippy.

Anyway today I will relocate gameEx to the bigger drive. I haven't much really delved into the configuration side of gameEx all the time I have used it. I only had it set up with a single emu and watched movies from it before.

Thanks for your feedback.

Probably depends on the game, emulator, and HDD speed. I have mine on a WD Velociraptor and they load pretty fast. A 5200 RPM drive may load MAME ROMs with little noticeable delay, but may contribute to some load-based lag for some of the later generation consoles.

I presently have GameEx and emulators loading from my SSD primary drive and ROMs stored on the Velociraptor. Artwork is on yet another storage drive in the 5200 RPM range and everything seems to be fairly frosty.

@stigzler

I did have it on the ssd (the os drive) but for reason of space and simplicity I moved it. I know I can manage where it saves things like snaps and artwork but prefer not to worry about that for now. When evolution is released I am hoping it will simply use the same folders and media I have collected for gameex.