All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Recommendations For A New Heatsink Fan

KRC

Well my official Intel Heatsink Fan mysteriously stopped working and I need to get a new one, any recommendations on an after market one?

Not too costly though.

I have an I7 3770, DQ77MK 1155 Socket.

The CoolerMaster GeminII M4 is what I went with and it does a fantastic job of keeping things cool in my rig. Not sure how much depth you have in your case, as it is a bit on the tall side. For the price, it does quite well. Be sure to get a decent paste (I use Arctic Silver) and a good cleaner designed for removing the old paste and conditioning the chip for new paste.

I can second Draco's suggestion as I use the same cooler on my rig (I5 650 Clarkdale OC'd to 3.9 GHz), with nary a heat issue (and my case is relatively cramped). Do you plan to OC at all? That can have some degree of impact as to what cooler you're looking at. That I7 of yours should have some great potential as an overclocker, but likewise may become a real hot tamale in the process.

Yeah, the head room thing was the problem for me, being in the cramped confines of a HTPC case.

I went with the Xigmatek Loki due to its short height, but it appears it has since been discontinued. They may have replaced it with another model in the 134mm/92mm fan height range though, and I have no problem recommending them, just don't expect a rebate if there is one.

As nullPointer mentioned, overclocking can have an impact on cooler choice. If overclocking, I would recommend a tower style heatsink, as they move the heatpipe air away from the CPU, and towards the case ventilation for optimal flow.

I've had best cooling results with ThermalRight heat sinks by far, but Cooler Master and Xigmatek's have proven best bang for the buck without question for me. Seeing Draco's satisfaction with the Cooler Master, it would seem little has change with the quality of their products. The last one I used was a Hyper 212 Plus, but it's pretty huge!

Sitting idle after being on all day and night, I am presently at about 31C. Running intensive games and apps I am usually in the 40-45C range, maybe a little higher but by the time I exit and check, the temps are dropping rapidly back to idle.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I think I may end up going with a CoolerMaster of sorts, due to having a CoolerMaster case, might aswell keep it in the family.

The cae to my setup is fairly wide so I don't think space will cause any issues.