All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Windows 8.1

KRC

Ok so I keep getting a popup windows everytime I load windows saying Windows 8.1 update is available for free.

Shall I update it or not, not sure on this and would need a little input from guys who have 8.1

Not sure but does it interfere with any settings?

Cheers

You should not have any problems with the update, if anything, it will make some things a little easier to deal with. I upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 with no problems to report.

I'll go ahead with it then when I get home.

The reason why I asked is because I had recently installed a couple of Windows updates that broke some programs that launch with windows like Xpadder, It basically removed the compatibility of those programs with Windows 8.

I updated to it, and like the changes. I would recommend you run a sfc prior to and after the installation. I was doing a brand new install, so I don't know if it happend at the 8.1 or the 8.1 update stage, but I was getting some errors after running system file checker.

I corrected it using the method I posted here

The only reason I found this is because I was looking at the defrag status of my drives, nothing was performing unusual. Regardless it's nice to know whatever it was, is fixed.

Don't think I had too many issues with it. There was some fine tuning to do afterwards - kinda worked like a fresh instal. If I recall, I had some lightgun drivers installed that were non-certified, so had to go through the whole process of installing them again and booting Windows into test-mode.

Oh, and I use Classic Shell to make it desktop - had to re-install that.

Think that was it - maybe a few other minor re-installs etc.. but wasn't a drama or crisis.