All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Problem with mame titles

darkstar1975

I have everything pretty much configured and working. However, my MAME game title list is listing the name of the file not the actual title of the game - for example Double Dragon is ddragon. Is there anyway to correct this or can you tell me where the file is and I can update them all by hand? Thanks.

Have you "Updated" your list? It should prompt you to do this once you've setup MAME and launched GE. Did you perhaps choose Cancel? You can do it manually by going to the MAME section (while GameEx is loaded), scroll to the bottom and hit "Update List". It may take a while to finish so have a coffee or something.

It's in the MAME section, along with "Show All MAME Games", "Show Multiplay Games", "Show Vertical Games" etc, in otherwords, before you get to the gamelist. It's at the very bottom of that screen. To make things clear, this is within GameEx, not the Setup Wizard :)

• Like 1

Not that list, the list of categories.

For example on my rig, I start GameEx @ the start screen, select Emulated Games, then select MAME. On the screen that comes up is a list of categories: All MAME Games, MAME Originals, Not Yet Played, 4 Player, etc. At the bottom of this list is where Update List is.

• Like 1

OK, so you are setting up MAME as an emulator and not using the integrated MAME features.

Can you post your GameEx log and Settings.ini please?

/Side note: Why not just use integrated MAME support?

Setup Wizard->Custom->MAME Options

OK, so you are setting up MAME as an emulator and not using the integrated MAME features.

Can you post your GameEx log and Settings.ini please?

/Side note: Why not just use integrated MAME support?

Setup Wizard->Custom->MAME Options

Yes it's important, when setting up MAME that you use the dedicated section which is what Draco enquired in the first reply. The dedicated MAME section has many more features than standard emulators, least of all displaying your roms in a nice formatted manner ^_^ By the way, you already know by now, but once you setup MAME in the dedicated section it will prompt you to "Update List" - choose OK/Yes then have that coffee/beer/cake you probably deserve by now :D

• Like 1

OK, thanks for posting .ini, someone will get back to you once examined (GE ini's are huge!) i'll try to explain what we mean:

Load the GameEx Setup Wizard (in your Start menu, under GameEx). Once loaded, choose/check "Custom", then click the big green arrow. On the next screen, with tons of options, click the "Clear All" button if anything is checked (has a tick) then check/tick "MAME Settings". Click the green arrow again.

The page that you now should be on is the page we are talking about. This is where you should setup MAME. If you fill out most of the top section on this screen, GameEx will do the rest (when you launch GameEx and confirm/choose Update List) ;)

• Like 1

I followed your instructions. It still doesn't have the update list option in GameEx.

You may have disabled it in that case unwittingly. To make sure it is enabled, load Setup Wizard> Custom> Enable/Disable Features. Make sure "Hide Update List" = No -try the previous again.

Me too! lol so this a longshot, because i don't think it affects the actual MAME menu - are you using either:

1) Custom Menus

2) A non-default theme

At this point i'm just trying to fast-track any of my compadre's with info they might need because in all honesty i don't know why you can't see "Update List" as an option, other than somehow we have gotten our wires crossed and you still are looking at/using MAME as a regular emulator.

This is not goodbye, it is a farewell till someone spots something i missed - and i guarantee they will! :D Sorry i couldn't be of more help. Be comforted knowing that i am just a hobbyist troubleshooter here - there are guys that make all this look easy so be assured that someone will get back to you soon :)

Your log still seems to indicate that you have MAME configured as a "standard emulator" rather than setup through the integrated MAME functionality (your log also seems to be missing some of the standard MAME information one would expect to see).

18:03:23.4 6/23/2014: Loading Emulator 1: [Arcade] Arcade (MAME)

When you have a moment please refer back to the MAME settings screen to insure that you've configured everything according to your own setup. Also please note that MAME has it's own top level menu in GameEx when you're using the default menu structure (i.e. it won't appear under 'Emulated Games' by default).

I am about to just reinstall. I have no clue why it won't work. I just went through the set-up wizard three times in a row. I select yes to set up mame. Go through place the executable, rom path, all that. Then go through the other steps. When I start over, MAME doesn't appear anywhere but under emulated games and the titles are still the filenames with no ability to update the list or anything. I'm stumped. I am guessing I did something on the initial install that has forever altered the way the software works until I remove it and start from scratch.