All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Any XBOX experts here?

tthurman

Thanks guys!

It was immensely gratifying to see it fire right up! The previous owner put some serious gaming time on this box, and so I did some serious dust bunny cleaning. It's easy to get carried away with that compressor nozzle in your hand!

As you can probably imagine, the DVD drawer not opening was a completely simple fix. Remove the case, belt (I just washed it with dish soap), clean the pulleys with a bit of 91% rubbing alcohol, replace and go.

Now I'm ready for the winter months, complete with a bunch of new football games that Vic can own my ass on :lol: Leave it to me to hook up with a sports fiend!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just read through and lol'd reminded me of the 3DO I was sent by some chump who thought wrapping 30 games individually with toilet paper (the poopy kind) would be enough for shipping with the hulking console and controllers rolling around in the box.

I just picked up an Xbox with 2 controllers for $15 at a garage sale this weekend. It was labeled "As Is" so I knew something was probably wrong with it. Of course its DVD drive was dead. And the HDD doesn't sound any better. But it turns on and boots up.

Did I mention the controllers and the console was covered in wax for some reason? One of the dirtiest consoles I've ever seen. Goo Gone fixed that. :P

I opened up the DVD Drive and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon was inside it lol. 2 original model controllers go for more than $15 too so either way I made out.

Now I'll have to do things to the Xbox to make the DVD Drive unnecessary, and maybe replace the dying HDD. Thankfully I have another Xbox and can switch out the DVD Drive if I wanted to. Then I can system link and play Halo/2 with friends once its all fixed! :D

I just want to be able to play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I bought the game, hoping it would be on the backwards compatible list on the 360. It is, but it isn't. Apparently, the game is playable to a certain point, then locks up completely and you're SOL from there. Kinda bummed about it. I wonder if somebody has managed to create a hack or something to rewrite the spot where it craps out, and is then playable. Of course something like that would need a modified 360 to boot such a disk. Luckily I have that. Maybe I'll research it some day in the future. Until then, I'll just sit on my game wishing it would work. :) I also have Matrix: Path of Neo and Halo 2 available for it. Halo 2 works great on my 360, and me and some friends actually played it for a bit using a 3rd party server utility (it basically emulated a LAN connection over the internet. Everybody runs the software and the internet connection creates the soft "router"). It worked out great!

I got my first one for $20 because of exactly that lol. All it was, was a dry and dirty old drive that had zero lube. I got KoToR, I might get some system linkage goin on with that game as well :3 sorry hansolo lol Now that I think about it... all the possibilities! Burnout, Unreal Tournament, Halo, Conker, Crash Tag Team Racing, Crimson Skies, Doom 3, PGR2, TimeSplitters! All System Link compatible. Anyone ever want to XLinkKai with me sometime, I'd be happy to try figuring it out lol.

:( apparently unless you have a flashed bios you need a functional DVD drive in the console for it to boot up. So I'm SOL. Unless anyone has a spare DVD drive they would be willing to part with. :unsure:

Have you checked Ebay or Craigslist?

Have you checked Ebay or Craigslist?

Yeah, but considering they're minimum $40 and that I got the xbox for $15 (with 2 controllers and cables), I'd be better off just getting a whole new console, which goes for about the same and would leave me with 3 xboxes, 1 being useless without a DVD drive perpetuating my issue. I'm gonna end up trying to solder around with it to bypass the DVD Check if I can't find a really cheap DVD drive.