All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Help Installing Asus Radeon 7770 2gb (2gd5)

KRC

Ok so I got a Asus Radeon 7770 2gb given to me yesterday, it came with a GPUTweak installation disc.

For the life of me I cannot get this to install, at first it was recognizing the card as being installed but now it just comes up as Standard VGA in device manager.

I installed my old GTX 680 without a hitch but this one is becoming an ass.

Any knowledgeable people know the score with this one?

When reading up on it people were saying to install AMD Catalyst but when I try to it just locks up and I have to use task manager to get rid of it.

Yeah tried running it as Admin, GPUTweak was installed before AMD Catalyst, It was actually GPUTweak that got the card recognized but then would throw DLL errors at me.

I tried to enter Bios at bootup so I could change PCI-E to primary but I cant even access Bios with F2 as directed, if I do press F2 it takes me to n automatic windows repair screen with no Bios option.

Confused.com

Have you tried using Del or Esc instead? It's usually one of those if not F2

I would uninstall GPU Tweak first, then remove any drivers you installed and get the latest Catalyst from AMD. Get the card working first otherwise there ain't nothing to tweak :) I expect it'll reinstall fine once Catalyst is up n running.

Was the GTX680 already in the computer, and you're downgrading to the 7770?

If so, you could be having problems due to leftover driver bits from the nividia software.

Previously the standard recommendation was to recommend driver sweeper to get a full removal of the previous GPU's manufacturers drivers. Driver sweeper is old now, and I'm not sure I would recommend that method any longer, but there are manual ways to acheive the same results.

Might want to give this a look.

http://www.custompcreview.com/articles/guides/guide-properly-remove-nvidia-amd-ati-gpu-drivers/19972/

Once your sure you've got the nividia software removed go here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

and get the latest catalyst for your OS.

GPU tweak is for overclocking it, and probably was out of date as soon as it was put on that disk. If you want that feature, get it from the ASUS site after you have the card running.

• Like 2

Well I got it running finally, but have a couple of issues

1. Black screens after firing up a PC game, I can play the game for about 1 minute, or trying to use Windows Performance Index, which in turn I have to do a hard reset.

2. Black 1" border around display, I followed steps to fix this with GPU scaling but the black border is always present when I reboot but it disappears after about 1 minute.

3. A sort of BSOD mentioning Pagefault in nonpaged area? I have had this issue once. I cant reproduce this error as I dont know how to.

I can pretty much do browsing etc..

I don't think it's the GPU I think it maybe settings.

Check you have installed and updated DX11. It's easily overlooked on a new install ;) The black borders may sort themselves after DX update but you are correct to use the GPU scaling. As for the BSOD i would check your virtual memory and power management settings.

That really seems odd! I've been using ATI/AMD cards now since the 9800 Pro days, and I have never seen what you are experiencing. After some googling, it seems this problem is pretty prevalent with the 7770, but I don't seen anybody with a solution, lots of RMA's, but no solution.

Is this a new install of Windows after your "POP"?

Is your motherboard BIOS current?

That error can be hardware or software related.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/page-fault-in-non-paged-area-error/

I just RMA'd a 5770, but it was artifacting like crazy, nothing like you're experiencing.

Are you running Win 7 or 8.1? Usually a BSOD for Page fault in a nonpaged area points to a driver and/or BIOS conflict. Hard to know with certainty without the STOP code that is included. You may get a clue by looking in Event Viewer to see if there are any errors right about the time of the BSOD. Definitely confirm and update your BIOS if an update is available.

• Like 1

I went back and installed Windows 8 (Which I am now loving by the way :wub: ) and it still keeps crashing so I thought I will ask a friend to try it and what do ya know, it happens to his aswell, so obviously the card is faulty.

No worries for the moment though as I have my trusty HD4000.

Glad to hear you found out it was the card, and not something harder to replace. Hopefully you are still within warranty, and can RMA it! I know the 5770 I had before XFX swapped it with one rebadged to 6770, was very much better with power than the 4890 it replaced, and performance was very similar.

I think Windows 8 is a different beast since 8.1, update 1, but by now it's been deemed "Vista", and it will likely take Windows 9 to get anyone to upgrade. I agree though, I like to too!

Just out of curiosity, is the PCIe mode on your motherboard set to Gen3? The 7770 is a Gen3 card and i've seen boards come set at Gen2 when they have a Gen2 onboard GPU (like your HD 4000). It could explain why it's kacking out randomly. It'll need Gen3 mode to work properly. I have no idea what your Bios is like but it'll be under something like "Peripherals" or "Advanced Bios Settings" something like that. It'll be there somewhere (unless you have a crappy locked down 3rd party PC manufacturer Bios ^_^ )