All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Well, I did it

tthurman

I'm a registered GameEx'er, so you may get sick of seeing me around, assuming your not already! :rolleyes:

I've still got a bunch to do before everything else is ready, so I'm not sure if I'll load up the current version or not, but I may play around with it some.

• Like 1

As I had noted to another that was not sure whether or not to update to the current version of GameEx or wait, I recommend going for the install now. While there will be some neat features to be expected with "Evo" the core basics will be quite the same and you will be ahead of those who are holding out.

• Like 1

Also remember that the process of setting up emulators outside of GameEx will certainly not change one iota. It would be better to have all your emulators ready to roll (especially so for working out all the applicable command lines and tweaks), so when Evolution drops the process of configuring the front end should be quick and easy.

Thanks, I appreciate the input for sure! I think I mentioned in one of my posts here, possibly my first one, that I move pretty slow, and that is the main reason I think my progression will be a bit lagging, for lack of a better description.

I got the fever for this hobby seemingly forever ago, and couldn't tell you how many days I spent drooling over controllers. I knew if I tried to buid one myself, it would only delay things.

After watching the demise of Slik-Stik, I grew a bit leary of purchasing a pre-built controller, but finally bought one from Jack and jan (Arcades R Fun), over five years ago.

I think their work speaks for itself:

post-8419-0-95790600-1399690411_thumb.jp

post-8419-0-15693900-1399690456_thumb.jp

As things progress, I'll post some updates, but I can say that I finally (at least for now) settled on a "reasonable" machine to run it on, and it's that part that I pretty much completed a couple weeks ago. It is nice to know that I can start loading things on it with the current version, as I was concerned it would be a big do over if I got to much ahead of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally started moving files over to the computer to get this rolling, and followng the advice given here, went ahead and loaded 13.26.

I think I mentined somewhere that first tried GameEx five or so years ago, as part of the trials of front ends and various computer builds.

All I can say is WOW, this is an entirely different beast. I surfed through all of the themes, and currently have 2084 by RageOn selected, but there are many others I like too. Talos I really liked too, but for some reasone I'm getting overlapping scrolling text at the bottom right hand side, perhaps from a update since Stgzler desgined it.

I also spent a considerable amount of time in the Themes and Graphics section yesterday, there's a lot to soak up in there!

I had originally planned to simply use a full set, mostly for ease of set management, but seeing how I plan to use emumovies, this doesn't seem to be a good plan. I would hate for that to pull down everythng requred for a full set. Due to this I suppose I will start hand picking an initial set of fav's, and add on the hidden gems down the road.

Anyway, I can't tell you how impressed I was with how GameEx has matured. Looks like I have a lot more of a learning curve ahead than I originally thought!
:D

Talos I really liked too, but for some reasone I'm getting overlapping scrolling text at the bottom right hand side, perhaps from a update since Stgzler desgined it.

That usually happens when you display a theme at a resolution other than it was designed for - mostly when it's a different aspect ratio ;) If that is the only problem with Stig's theme on your setup and you really want to use it you can load it into the theme editor and delete the scrollers - in the Edit menu at the top. Takes less than a minute :)

EDIT - and about your MAME fullset, i believe there is a full set of Extras on the new ftp as mentioned by Tom here. The Extras set usually includes all media apart from videos (though you'll have to look as i haven't, so can't confirm) so i would say go for it and grab the full romset. It's much less hassle! Then you can just use GameEx's built in filters to get a nice clean list.

EDIT2 - just checked and yup it's the full Extras set and some older videos! So you'll have to still use Emumovies for the newer vids but if that doesn't bother you you're set, for a full set :D

• Like 1

I have previously obtained the latest Extras set. Directory structure looks essentially the same with the exception of the older videos you note.

Finally, a need for them after all these years of keeping them current :D

Whoops - I knew the wheels would come off it one day. :/

That usually happens when you display a theme at a resolution other than it was designed for - mostly when it's a different aspect ratio ;) If that is the only problem with Stig's theme on your setup and you really want to use it you can load it into the theme editor and delete the scrollers - in the Edit menu at the top. Takes less than a minute :)

Yeah, what he said :)

Welcome to GE + you'll like it, of that I'm confident - especially if you like tinkering. :)

• Like 1