All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] PinballX and Windows 8.1 Pro issues

Krakerman

Ok guys for some reason all of a sudden tonight seems like if I check PinballX run as Admin PinballX will just freeze on loading VP tables and if I uncheck it it will run the table but when I press ESC it will not return back to PinballX until I close the VP editor???

The ESC key will not exit back to PinballX basically. It will just exit to VP Editor then I have to close the editor and then it returns back to PinballX.

Also the Skip Disclaimer doesn't work either. The disclaimer box will show and just sit there until I check it.

So for me the only way to get PinballX to work somewhat is to leave Run as Admin unchecked and VP's Run As Admin checked. Very strange this all was working before and I have done nothing to my system and now nothing but problems. Looks like I might just dump Win 8 and go back to Win 7. Be a shame as I like alot of things about Win 8 too.

Do you have any config, .ini, and log.txt files to contribute so the author and other members can take a peek at your setup to try to assist you? C'mon, dude, not your first jog around the block! Help us help you!

Tonight I'm just re-installing Win 7 as there are just to many issues with Win 8.1 Pro not just with PinballX but with a few other programs of mine so for now I am going back to Win 7. Sorry guys. I know this will solve alot of my problems.

Do you run PinballX or VP in compatibility mode?

If yes - turn it off, its not necessary and caused problems on my machine too

Actually running the vp.exe under compatibility mode for xp3 has speeded up vp for me, on my cab and laptop. It just dragged it's feet until I did this.

Actually running the vp.exe under compatibility mode for xp3 has speeded up vp for me, on my cab and laptop. It just dragged it's feet until I did this.

Really?

I only noticed some strange behavior when exiting VP when in compatibility mode.

Yes Win 7 works perfect! I was going to post the config Draco but I decided already I was gonna revert back to Win 7 soon after that post.

I was also having issues with Pinnacle Game Profile as well with Win 8.1 Pro which is a major thing for me so that pretty much made me decide to go back to Win 7 as that program is a deal breaker for me. So until PGP works with Win 8.1 Pro I'm sticking with Win 7. I've tried and paid for Xpadder but I just don't like it and much much prefer PGP. Oh well .... I was really liking alot of what Win 8.1 Pro had to offer with my touch screen.

PinballX and VP/FP runs smooth as butter now on Win 7 Home x64 with no issues even on those tables that many say have stutter like Monopoly and a few other. No stutter with my Nvidia GTX670 at all.

Other than having to shell Win 8.1 Pro (using Classic Shell along with Display Fusion), I don't have much bad to say other than I can't wait until Win 9 (proper shelling of the metro apps instead of having to go 3rd party to do so). My other box has Win 7 which was running fine, just an older machine. If my son doesn't want it, I may just make it my dedicated GameEx/PinballX box and use the new rig for PC gaming.

I just heard about Win 9 and that does sound nice. :)

I might go back and try to re-install win 8.1 pro tonight just too see if it wasn't something else that I might of did. The only crappy thing thou is PGP only half works some of the features crashes the system. Maybe I will just have to deal with Xpadder until the PGP guys can fix it.

Back on Win 8.1 Pro and it's working once again as I've traced to what a few issues I was having. When I installed a bunch of fonts from my old system it screwed up my Win 8.1 MetroUI tiles icons. As far as getting PinballX working again I just deleted all files except for the tables and re-installed and it seems everything is working again. Now if I can only get PGP to work correctly.

Back on Win 8.1 Pro and it's working once again as I've traced to what a few issues I was having. When I installed a bunch of fonts from my old system it screwed up my Win 8.1 MetroUI tiles icons. As far as getting PinballX working again I just deleted all files except for the tables and re-installed and it seems everything is working again. Now if I can only get PGP to work correctly.

Are you using Classic Shell or just using the launch to Start Menu?

I got PGP to work now. It appears to have issues with the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service. So you have to disable and prevent this from running at startup and then PGP works perfectly without crashes again.