All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Veterans Day (US)

Draco1962

I just want to take this opportunity to thank our US Veterans for their service to our country and others. While the politics of our great nation are a shameful mess, our military men and women continue to do their jobs of fighting for and protecting the freedoms we enjoy. Many did not return. Many more did not return the way they left and continue their solitary fight to this day.

My dad served proudly in the US Air Force from just before the time of my birth into the 1980s (various US stations as well as Thailand during Viet Nam and Seoul S Korea during the Cold War). My father-in-law served in the US Navy, as did my mother-in-law's dad.

My grandfathers on both sides of the family served during WWII. My mother's dad served in the US Army (Philippines). My dad's dad (who passed away this past October) was a first generation child of immigrants, from what was then Czechoslovakia, in the US Army as well (Europe).

I am proud to have grown up a military brat as we were often called. My only regret is that I didn't sign-up when I had the opportunity.

• Like 2

Lunch is on us today for any veterans... It's actually been pretty successful here, free coffee and deli items for any who have served our ate currently serving. We're happy to give back to our friends who made civilized life possible.

Happy veterans day, and thank you for all you have done to make America the wonderful place it is.

I was a Navy submariner back in the 80's. Definately was an experience and an honor to serve!

Back then we were still playing Commodore 64 games and eventually got a NES!! I remember long hours of playing Red Storm Rising. The sub that I was on was in the movie Hunt for Red October (Pretty cool). I was actually standing watch topside in the dry dock when they were filming. Wow memories ....

Salute!!! B)

• 1 month later...

A bit late but just noticed this:

I've been in the military (USAF) for six years and looking to get out in two when my second enlistment is up. Not really digging it anymore and I want to do other things with my life, plus they are looking at cutting a lot of people. Nervous as hell but I highly recommend it even though I have had a lot WTF moments and moments where I hated life, I have had more moments where I felt like I was on top of the world and met and worked with some amazing people and still do to this day. It's a damned small world if you join, keep that in mind.

Sure helped me grow up and mature... first base (DC) was quite rough and my work performance wasn't so hot but I learned from it and managed to survive. Now at my second base (FL) life is amazing, and turned my work around and get recognized quite often and people all over the base have come to me to help them out, I can't complain and such a big difference. The First Sergeant that saved my career I like to think would be damned proud. But at the end of the day I feel it is time to move on. Come on 2015...

• Like 1

What base in FL? My dad is USAF retired and we were stationed at MacDill and Eglin (Eglin being the last before my parents divorced in '77). When I think back, my only regret was not going into the USAF. I would have likely made it a career, would be retired by now and yet still working (double-dipping). As an Air Force "brat" I really enjoyed the experiences overall of being a service-connected family.

I'm stationed at Macdill in Tampa, was stationed at Bolling AFB in DC (now Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling) for four years before this and glad to be here although a LOT of people hate it here.... there's BS here sure but it's nowhere nearly as bad as where I was previously, and I believe it's the most requested state-side base to be stationed at.

Not being sure what your duties entail, if something comes up at Eglin, I don't think you will be disappointed. It was one of the friendliest communities I can recall as a child and not as full of the "newly weds and nearly deads" as the Tampa-St. Pete-Pinellas area.