All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Good working config for PC Engine/TG-16 CD using Magic Engine?

gamepimp

Hi all. Does anyone have a good working config for these systems? I have DT Lite installed w/ a virtual SCSI drive. I can mount and play games in Magic Engine. But no luck doing that thru GameEx. Any help would b greatly appreciated. Thx!

If you already have DTools though I would switch it up to this:

pce.exe "syscard3.pce" [VIRTUALDRIVE]:\

Obviously you'd want to change the syscard line.

Draco1962, I did try what Frequency suggested in that other topic and it didn't work unfortunately. NullPointer, I've tried the config from the post u mentioned. But maybe I didn't have everything just right. I'll try it again tonight and see what happens. I'm totally confused at this point b/c some users suggest a cmd=pce.exe "syscard3.pce" and other users suggest cmd=pce.exe -cd:N. Is it possible both commands are valid depending on the situation?

I thought the syscard varied depending on your saves? Or is that something else?

I admittedly only use Magic Engine for PCE.

I have syscard V 3.0 specified within Magic Engine (it's a menu option). So I'm wondering if it would even be necessary for GameEx to provide that info to the emulator. I'm not exactly sure what the diff is between the diff syscards. I guess I always assumed that the most recent version would cover all games where the older versions might not be compatible for some newer titles.

I think you’re correct to take the version of Magic Engine you’re using into account here. I think the command line for Magic Engine has been modified over time. The command for previous versions may not be working with the current one (or vice versa).

I can’t really speak from experience in this regard though; I’m a mednafen man myself. ;)

Finally got this to work tonight. Here's my config in case anyone needs it:

Enabled=True

STARTPAGENAME=NEC Turbografx-16 CD

TITLETEXT=NEC Turbografx-16 CD

StartPageLogo=NEC TurboGrafx-16

WorkingPath=C:\Users\Arcade\ME

RomPath=F:\Games\NEC\TurboGrafx-16 CD\GAMES

SnapPath=

VideoSnapPath=

TitlePath=

BoxPath=

CartPath=

DATABASE=

Command=pce.exe -cd:D

LaunchBefore="C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount scsi, 0, "[RomPath]\[RomFile]"

LaunchAfter="C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -unmount scsi, 0

ROMFilter=*.cue

configFile=[Mapping Off] Exit (ESC)

Note that I have a SCSI DT Lite virtual CD drive installed that is drive "D" on my computer and that I'm using .cue and .bin files, not .iso. I've highlighted the most important parts of the config in red.

• 4 months later...

Finally got this to work tonight. Here's my config in case anyone needs it:

Enabled=True

STARTPAGENAME=NEC Turbografx-16 CD

TITLETEXT=NEC Turbografx-16 CD

StartPageLogo=NEC TurboGrafx-16

WorkingPath=C:\Users\Arcade\ME

RomPath=F:\Games\NEC\TurboGrafx-16 CD\GAMES

SnapPath=

VideoSnapPath=

TitlePath=

BoxPath=

CartPath=

DATABASE=

Command=pce.exe -cd:D

LaunchBefore="C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount scsi, 0, "[RomPath]\[RomFile]"

LaunchAfter="C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -unmount scsi, 0

ROMFilter=*.cue

configFile=[Mapping Off] Exit (ESC)

Note that I have a SCSI DT Lite virtual CD drive installed that is drive "D" on my computer and that I'm using .cue and .bin files, not .iso. I've highlighted the most important parts of the config in red.

Thanks so much for this. I can confirm that it works.

So then the following should work and can eliminate the launch and before?:

pce.exe -cd:[VIRTUALDRIVE]

I've spent hours trying to figure out why the command "pce.exe -cd:[VIRTUALDRIVE]" did not work for me. It turns out that Magic Engine will only play the ROM when it is mounted on a SCSI virtual drive. For some reason the command "pce.exe -cd:[VIRTUALDRIVE]" only mounts the Rom on a DT virtual drive and Magic Engine will not recognize it. Using the launch and before code specifies the mount to be on SCSI.

I believe this is also true for the playstation emulator ePsxe, but that goodness they have an option to load the Rom directly without mounting.

If possible I'd like to see this implemented as a feature request in which we can add a flag to the [VIRTUALDRIVE] parameter specifying the use of a SCSI drive. Something like [VIRTUALDRIVE-SCSI] seems like it would do the trick. It's actually just an additional flag in the DaemonTools command, so maybe it wouldn't be too hard to implement (though as noted above it would cover only a few fringe cases).

Why not just set that drive to SCSI by default in DT? Mine is already setup that way so that it simply works.

Hi Frequency. If i can remember correctly, when i disabled the DT virtual drive in Daemon Tools Lite and just leave SCSI installed, the command "pce.exe -cd:[VIRTUALDRIVE]" did not work. It was not auto mounting to the SCSI drive. I do not see an option in the DT preferences menu to set a default...