All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Turbografx CD troubles

dukeofarcadia

I use Magic Engine.. I also use Daemon Tools Pro..

I've come up with this (launch before) command in gameex

"C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\dtpro.exe" -mount 0,"[RomPath]\[RomFile]"

What happens when I click on a rom in gameex is that it opens daemon tools

but I see no mount occur.. and it never does occur.. an empty virtual drive has

been set up.. but no mounting ever occurs..

So it is definitely recognizing the opening daemon tools part of the command,

but not the mounting part.

I based my command line on advice given by frequency here -

(you will need to scroll down cause it starts off being about sega cd)

But unlike what he is talking to I have daemon tools pro not daemon tools lite.

I made sure to check for things like extra quotes and stuff like that.. but it

all looks correct..

Any immediate advice to get this working before I export my settings?

I'm taking a real shot in the dark here, as I've never used the Pro version of DaemonTools (What can I say, I'm a cheap-skate :lol: ). According to this documentation the DaemonTools executable applicable to mounting disc images is called 'DTAgent.exe'

Example: DTAgent.exe -mount ide, 0, "f:\test.iso"

Do you have that executable in your DaemonTools directory?

I'm taking a real shot in the dark here, as I've never used the Pro version of DaemonTools (What can I say, I'm a cheap-skate :lol: ). According to this documentation the DaemonTools executable applicable to mounting disc images is called 'DTAgent.exe'

Do you have that executable in your DaemonTools directory?

Yes I do.. I know I read the same documentation..

Unfortunately what happens is.. if you put dtagent.exe

instead of dtpro.exe... gameex just exits out back out

to the gameex menu immediately.. with dtpro.exe at least

it opens.. but maybe you do need to use dtagent.exe

and I just don't know why it's exiting out to the gameex

interface.

I'd be willing to bet that the DTAgent.exe only remains open long enough to mount the applicable disc image. GameEx sees the above command as the emulator you intend to run (i.e. as far as GameEx knows DTAgent.exe is the emulator). Given that it only lasts a fraction of a second GameEx just assumes that you legitimately exited out of the emulator and happily returns to the menu.

You can pull this off, but you'll need to set up an advanced config to tell GameEx to watch the MagicEngine process, and not the DaemonTools process. I'd post more detailed instructions but I'm away from my GameEx machine, and I do this so rarely I always have to sort of walk myself through it. It's not hard if you open up the AdvancedConfig editor, I just can't remember which specific field(s) to direct you to. There are a few forum threads related to this issue. If you don't figure it out, one of the more experienced members will have you up and running in no time.

Edit: I'm assuming you're launching all of this through a batch file. Just out of curiosity what does the rest of your batch look like? Reason I ask is just to be sure that MagicEngine is getting invoked somewhere in there

Another Edit: Nevermind - realized you're using a Launch Before parameter (Sorry - Need to RTFOP). That may make the above question moot . . . but it sure seems like that's what it's doing. Does it ever get around to attempting to launch MagicEngine?

Edited by nullPointer

It doesn't get around to launching magic engine..

my command line for the emulator itself is just this- pce.exe syscard3.pce

I'm not using a batch file..

Yeah sorry about that I realized that you weren't using a batch after rereading your original post . . . I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue I guess (or the right day to start) :unsure: . I would suggest running your commands outside of GameEx to see what kind of results you get. This will help to narrow down whether this is an issue with GameEx or DaemonTools. If everything works fine it might be easiest to take a look at your GameEx output and emulator config to see what's going on there (sorry).

what does RTFOP stand for?

Heh . . . well the RT and the OP stand for "Read The Original Post." I'll let you work out the "F". I got in a hurry and made a bad assumption about what you were doing when you had already clearly stated what you were doing. If only I'd paid more attention in grammar school . . .

Either way should get your there, but I was thinking of opening up the command prompt and simply pasting your commands in one at a time in the order they should properly execute. That way you'll be able to see any output to the console if in fact there is any.

The other way would be to simply run the runitgame.bat file found under Start > GameEx > Utilities in the Start menu. This will be a batch file containing the exact launch commands GameEx tried to run most recently. The downside here is that you won't be able to see any output to the console.

According to here. DTAgent.exe is the used exe in the command-line as was suggested by nullPointer. I'll be in chat room for real-time support to help troubleshoot if you want. I'm sure it's something that is simply overlooked.

Also a config is ALWAYS the best way to post your settings since it will show exactly what you have instead of what you think you have. :P

Have you considered just running mednafen and pionting it at your cue files. I just redid the video set for it using that setup and the emulation kicked the pants off of magic engine. And this is coming from a paid registered Magic Engine owner. Then you dont even need daemon tools.

Have you considered just running mednafen and pionting it at your cue files. I just redid the video set for it using that setup and the emulation kicked the pants off of magic engine. And this is coming from a paid registered Magic Engine owner. Then you dont even need daemon tools.

+1 for mednafen. I highly recommend it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got Magic Engine to play cue/bin files mounted on a DT Lite virtual CD drive. But I can't get that to happen loading the game thru GameEx. Does someone have a good config for this process? It seems that the latest version of GE (12.50) has a new way to get these files to mount on DT Lite drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I finally got Magic Engine to play cue/bin files mounted on a DT Lite virtual CD drive. But I can't get that to happen loading the game thru GameEx. Does someone have a good config for this process? It seems that the latest version of GE (12.50) has a new way to get these files to mount on DT Lite drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Best to start a new post when one is already resolved so that you don't get overlooked. Best thing is to just import the config for that emulator as it will have the setup used for mounting images.

Here is the command-line for it based on mounting in GameEx according to the config:

pce.exe "syscard3.pce"[-VIRTUALDRIVE-]