All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

NEWS: GameEx 11.76

Tom Speirs

More enhancements to the Setup Wizard with this release thanks to Ben Baker and it is now the single and only point for setup and configuration of GameEx. With this release the Advanced Configuration application is now retired and no longer included with the install. I know change is not always welcome but the Setup Wizard really is far superior and this move will simplify support, greatly simplify and improve the setup experience and also save development time.

View the full article

Nice one, and i know Frequency will be glad of this as he is always saying why do we have 2 configs !, and 2 be honest im getting more used to the setup wizard and hardly use the Advance config now. :P

Bugs:

• Verify causes an Unhandled exception
  • Install DXKaraoke Plugin causes an Unhandled exception
  • News feed list 30 while ini lists 36 (Old Configuration app listed correctly)
  • MAME Command Line Options link is dead
  • On verify, map files give errors because extra .map extension is added (this was reported long time ago)

May not be so much as bugs but small issues. I love the new look and the fact we now only have one app for our users. Makes things less confusing. I'll report any other things that I notice.

Can you please post the details of the exception. I can't replicate this.

Here ya go headkaze!

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at SetupWizard.VerifySetup.CheckFileCountMultiWildcard(String name, String path, String wildcard)

at SetupWizard.VerifySetup.CheckEmulatorPaths()

at SetupWizard.VerifySetup.butVerify_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5444 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

SetupWizard

Assembly Version: 1.0.4178.25916

Win32 Version: 1.0.4178.25916

CodeBase: file:///C:/GameEx/SetupWizard.exe

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

Accessibility

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

At first it was happening to me at Emulator_2 but not it went past that and is happening at Emulator_15. Also I notice that .png (logo) is being added like .map files. Those fields don't have anything in them and they show that .png, .map files don't exist.

Thanks Ben & Tom!

And by the way... I agree with your choice... since the beginning I use the Setup Wizard to configure things, so I can't be less than happy!

EDIT: Excuse me if my question is silly, and I know it is a bit OT, but anyway: I use to clean the cache before updating to a newer version. But other than that, after an update is it necessary or advisable to update the MAME romlist in GameEx even if no change were made in the romset, or is it absolutely not influential?

EDIT: Excuse me if my question is silly, and I know it is a bit OT, but anyway: I use to clean the cache before updating to a newer version. But other than that, after an update is it necessary or advisable to update the MAME romlist in GameEx even if no change were made in the romset, or is it absolutely not influential?

There shouldn't be a need to update MAME's list after an update unless there's a change in your MAME rom set or an upgrade to MAME itself.

Thanks so much Tom and headkaze! Setup Wizard just keeps getting better and better! I look forward to testing out the latest enhancement when I get home this evening.

• Verify causes an Unhandled exception

I also experienced this error (in the 11.74 version). I was going to report it at the time, but honestly I don't use Verify Setup that often, and come on, I mean nullPointer reporting a nullPointer exception? I didn't want to cause the universe to implode! (Looks like we're safe . . . for now). :huh:

I'll post the details of the error if I run into it again.

Thanks again guys, this adds even more motivation for getting that 'GameEx 4 Life' tattoo! (j/k - Sorry my weak attempts at humor are directly related to it being Friday and (finally) getting some nice weather).

BUG! BUG! BUG!

Installer is corrupt!! Just tried to run it after downloading and it says it's corrupt and the file size was way small which kinda gave me an indication there was gonna be an issue with it.The main page site says it's 30mb in size but when you d/l it it's only 1.2mb :huh:

Setup corrupted for me as well updating via GameEx. I'll try downloading it from the homepage. Did anyone else have this problem? :blink:

*Edit* Spoke too soon. Seems the file on the homeage is 1.2mb :lol:

How do I go directly from the front page of setup wizard, to the section I want to change with a single click? Thanks.

I dont think you can,though i might be wrong as im not very familiar with the setup wizard.it seems you must click custom,then if you want to change a emulator config you have to tick emulator setup and then go from there

UPDATE: there is also a search feature,which makes it a little easier

BUG! BUG! BUG!

Installer is corrupt!! Just tried to run it after downloading and it says it's corrupt and the file size was way small which kinda gave me an indication there was gonna be an issue with it.The main page site says it's 30mb in size but when you d/l it it's only 1.2mb :huh:

sorry about the double post.are you guys not just updating? I updated to 11.76 earlier and there was no error.are you doing a offline install?

I updated through GameEx - no problems here!

@Wubble - If you select Custom, then click Next Arrow, then you can check the box next to the option(s) you wish to access/change. Not quite a "One Click" deal, but, there again, neither was Advanced Config.