All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

mini xp install for gammex?

simbamame

Hi guys, im not really sure if i should be asking this here but as i know your all cool at answering gammex relayated things i thought id give it a go... :)

I have a cab running windows xp does anybody know if its possible or available a mixi xp version that will load only the bare essential to run gameex/ enulators and maybe music? im thinking that a standard windows xp installs loads, a load of crap that isnt needed even on a basic systems, basically my cab runs gameEx and im trying to get all the other emulators i use to run threw that, which are daphne, psx, nes, snes n64, mame, amiga, cbm64, sega model 2 and zinc, now i know model 2 and zinc are processor and gfx hungry but the others should run on a slimeline xp install ?? Im asking as i dont really know where i would start i guess ?? any help , advice, pointers even what i can and cannot delete would help, i wanna use my cab for playing music when not playing games but dont need internet, email etc...

Many Thanks in advance. SM

If you don't use a full install you will run into a bunch of problems. I've seen others answer similar questions and there seems to be no real way around a full bown OS install due to the many Windows components GameEx requires.

Sorry.

I have to agree with Adultery. I can see "slimming it down" after a full install by add/remove programs, remove Windows features, etc. to remove those programs and features that you absolutely will not need.

Hi guys, im not really sure if i should be asking this here but as i know your all cool at answering gammex relayated things i thought id give it a go... :)

I have a cab running windows xp does anybody know if its possible or available a mixi xp version that will load only the bare essential to run gameex/ enulators and maybe music? im thinking that a standard windows xp installs loads, a load of crap that isnt needed even on a basic systems, basically my cab runs gameEx and im trying to get all the other emulators i use to run threw that, which are daphne, psx, nes, snes n64, mame, amiga, cbm64, sega model 2 and zinc, now i know model 2 and zinc are processor and gfx hungry but the others should run on a slimeline xp install ?? Im asking as i dont really know where i would start i guess ?? any help , advice, pointers even what i can and cannot delete would help, i wanna use my cab for playing music when not playing games but dont need internet, email etc...

Many Thanks in advance. SM

Do you know how to use Nlite ?

I can give you my "session.ini"

With this file you only need to use Nlite, an Windows XP Professional CD and a valid key.

For obvious reasons I can't give you my key.

With this stuff Nlite will remove the components based on my install.

With this I'm able to put Windows ready in about 20~25 seconds.

I've removed LOTS of useless stuff and services. And I use all kinds of emulators plus XBMC and Eventghost with no problems.

As soon I arrive home I can put it here to you!

• Like 2

Hey Vsilvalopes! LTNS! You are on of the few that have a good handle on how to do it best and was thinking of you when I saw this. I have not a clue on how to do it and would not want to encourage anyone to do so unless they have got some experienced guidance from a Pro!

I have a very minimal XP Pro SP3 install on my HTPC that I prepared with nLite. It's easy to break WiFi, Printers, Bluetooth, etc if you don't know what you're doing (The Compatability check list is your friend, here!): I removed hardware support for anything but what was in the machine it was going on, integrating my drivers as well. I ended up with a complete OS install that takes about 700MB of HDD space and boots from POST to GamEX in about 30 seconds...

As far as things GameEx itself needs to run, the primary dependencies you SHOULD NOT remove are COM+, DirectX, DTC, Jet Database Engine, MDAC and MSMQ... You can practically rip everything else out, install .NET and DirectX 9.0c after OS installation and GameEx will be OK. Any other applications you may run, however, are another matter!

I highly recommend reading up on what you'll see listed in nLite so as to gain an understanding of what all the Windows components are and how they interoperate together. For example, since gaming is a primary concern for you, including emulators that use your 3D hardware, you want to leave OpenGL support in. Gamepad support too. Etc...

You also don't want to remove OOBE unless you have a VLK version of Windows (So called "Corporate Editions"): Otherwise you won't be able to activate it and it will die after 30 days. :(

Hi,

I also made a lot of tests with slimed XP versions and always got a lot of problems, so my suggestion is to let off Your hands from that... please have a look at my Full MAME Installation guide for more explanations -> see my signature...by the way : I am just uploading the new 2.0 version... :)

LTNS SIlver X as well! Looks like we are getting the whole orchestra back together! :P

Ranzo - I look forward to reviewing your guide - lots of useful information for the novice and not so news alike!

Thanks guys for all the comments and it seems the best way is to use the add/ remove programs ( draco1962) and slim it down that way. things im not sure off i`ll do a system restore point take it away let it run a while and see if its ok, have taken out things i know im deffo not gonna use and its working ok, ive download the pdf file from ranzo to have a gander threw and taken silver x advise as to nlite ( vsilvalops ) ive never used or even heard of it but thanks for the tip. :). Ive also downloaded from our friendly net a file that details all the things XP loads and what they do so im also working threw that too....i`ll report back.

To be honest though loading speed is not the issue cos once booted it stays on, there is no problem of the cab overheating as ive fitted a back panel fan to keep it cool and the pc thats internally fitted is all out of the case and surface mounted to the inside of the cabinet so there is plenty of air flowing around lol,im just slimming it down for emulation / gfx speed but at the moment its running at a desent speed, daytona usa and sega rally on the sega model 2 emulator runs smoothly as does crash bandicoot warped on the psx emulator, lol, the n64 runs really nice but im have daphine problems works great on win 7 but not on xp , but i`ll soon sort that, probably a config error in GameEx ( knowing me, rememeber the snap/snaps ! lol ). Have a few keyboard errors on the emulators again only with XP not win 7 the i-pac is configured so its not that, everything works perfect on the win7 pc i might just dump the whole lot onto the cabinet and let it re-config the gfx and sound lol.

Oh the joys of building and configuring your own cabinet... it started out just as mame but is growing to take all the other emulators i can get, figuring out the gameex config for all the emulators is that hardest part, and as i work full time and have kids i have limited time i can spend tinkering with it, usually when everyone has gone to sleep. :D

Regards to all, SM

As I promissed !

LAST SESSION (205602.08-14.49.58).INI.zip

Here is my "Last Session.ini" of my nLited Windows XP install.

It was based on Windows XP Professional - Service Pack 3.

The language is Portuguese - Brazil. I don't think that it's going to be a problem.

With this became a problem , please let me know and I will try to do the same with an English version.

If there is Enough interest in the foruns I can do it too. Just PM me!

What I can say about this install ?

I've removed/disabled LOTS of useless Services and Windows Components.

The main purprose of this install is to be used as a Game Center and Media Center.

So Joysticks, IR Remotes, DirectX, Video Codecs and Networking works fine.

But don't expect use it to send e-mails with Outlook or join an Active Directory domain ! ;)

The default theme is Windows Classic. The themes service is disabled by default.

All basic network options like Netbios, DNS, DHCP and other that are crucial to the system are present.

Wireless networking is here too !

Well , as I said I use it everyday on my MiniPC.

XBMC , GameEx, and lots of emulators. From Atari 2600 to Sega Dreamcast.

I hope it helps !

• 3 years later...

Do you know how to use Nlite ?

I can give you my "session.ini"

With this file you only need to use Nlite, an Windows XP Professional CD and a valid key.

For obvious reasons I can't give you my key.

With this stuff Nlite will remove the components based on my install.

With this I'm able to put Windows ready in about 20~25 seconds.

I've removed LOTS of useless stuff and services. And I use all kinds of emulators plus XBMC and Eventghost with no problems.

As soon I arrive home I can put it here to you!

vsilvalopes - Can you still remote desktop to the mame machine with your ini?

vsilvalopes - Can you still remote desktop to the mame machine with your ini?

I would doubt that seeing as his whole install was to get rid of useless services that takes up a great portion of XP. This (in my eyes) would include any kind of networking including remote access. I'm just guessing here though of course. Bare in mind that XP can become very unstable if you remove things haphazardly so i wouldn't even contemplate using such an install on a live system without thorough testing first!

If however you have a spare partition to test on, and you are familiar with making custom Windows disks (from your own legit copy of course) then why not try it? I wouldn't bet on remote access being in vsilvalopes' config though as it seems he spent much time trimming XP down to bare minimum. Your best bet would be to make your own custom install - you'll learn a lot from the experience ;)

Also bare in mind vsilvalopes doesn't frequent the forums much these days (this post is 3 years old ^_^ )