All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx hesitation when exiting game

ReFleX

Could be nothing...

Since I updated from 10.36 I noticed that GameEx takes a few seconds to come back after I exit a game. It varies in length for different games (for instance golden tee games take about 3-5 seconds). I don't remember it doing this before. Anyone else have this going on? Tom, any idea what the program is doing (reloading something maybe?)?

ReFleX

Could be nothing...

Since I updated from 10.36 I noticed that GameEx takes a few seconds to come back after I exit a game. It varies in length for different games (for instance golden tee games take about 3-5 seconds). I don't remember it doing this before. Anyone else have this going on? Tom, any idea what the program is doing (reloading something maybe?)?

ReFleX

Post your log and we can see exactly what it's doing.

ReFleX, could you check out this post and see if you can identify any similarities between our problem(s) and maybe our hardware/software setup? What you're seeing seems to be similar to my problem, though i didn't have previous GameEx versions installed on this particular machine and hence can't say anything about the behaviour of previous GameEx versions.

ReFleX, could you check out this post and see if you can identify any similarities between our problem(s) and maybe our hardware/software setup? What you're seeing seems to be similar to my problem, though i didn't have previous GameEx versions installed on this particular machine and hence can't say anything about the behaviour of previous GameEx versions.

It sounds like the same problem but I don't have the same hardware as you. I'm running a dual core machine at 4ghz with 4gb of memory and an Nvidia card. I am however running Windows 7 x64. This shouldn't be the problem as everything was running good until just this week when I updated. The delay isn't really that long so I don't really care that much... but I'll post my log when I get home and get a chance to see if anyone can come up with something.

Thanks guys,

ReFleX

Just an update...

This bug doesn't seem to be showing its face with any other emulator than mame (possibly a mame bug now) and now I'm having a hard time reproducing it reliably. I'm going to test a little bit with ProcMon and see if I can pin down when it happens, then I'll post a log of that.

Ok heres the deal...

I have tried running just mame to make sure this isn't the problem. Several tests have shown that when exiting mame when I run manually from a cmd line, everything is just fine.

I have tried reinstalling gameex. I went so far as to reproduce my setup from scratch to make sure that the databases weren't at fault here from some reason. But the hesitation still shows up.

I have tried to capture what is going on with ProcMon but for whatever reason, whenever procmon is running the hesitation won't happen (I guess one solution would be to always run ProcMon, lol).

So here is my log file like you asked. This is from a run where I played a game for a bit and the hesitation was about 10 seconds after I quit the game. The log file doesn't show anything because it doesn't show any messages about coming back from a Mame, just the next command which was me exiting so I could post this.

Any ideas?

-ReFleX

log.txt

Just an update...

This bug doesn't seem to be showing its face with any other emulator than mame (possibly a mame bug now) and now I'm having a hard time reproducing it reliably. I'm going to test a little bit with ProcMon and see if I can pin down when it happens, then I'll post a log of that.

I am not sure how well GameEx works with multi-core or x64 systems although I am sure Tom has tested it thoroughly on them. One thing you may want to try is running GameEx dedicated to one CPU core. If you google it there are quite a few links on the subject, and probably a program to do so. Otherwise, you can open task manager and select GameEx in the Processes tab, right click and then select "Set Affinity" and choose the core you wish to dedicate to it.

I have found this to be useful on a few older programs and emus that do not play well with multiple cores.

I am not sure how well GameEx works with multi-core or x64 systems although I am sure Tom has tested it thoroughly on them. One thing you may want to try is running GameEx dedicated to one CPU core. If you google it there are quite a few links on the subject, and probably a program to do so. Otherwise, you can open task manager and select GameEx in the Processes tab, right click and then select "Set Affinity" and choose the core you wish to dedicate to it.

I have found this to be useful on a few older programs and emus that do not play well with multiple cores.

Fair enough... I'll try it, but I have been running GameEx on this system for almost 2 years now.

Fair enough... I'll try it, but I have been running GameEx on this system for almost 2 years now.

I am sure it is a fine system, however, Win 7 X64 has been out for retail since 10/2009. Did you do an upgrade to Win 7 x64 from XP/Vista or complete install due to an x386 version of one of these installed prior?

In either case, there may still be some 32-bit drivers or the like that may be contributing to the slow exit as & switches back and forth processing data between 64-bit native and 32-bit emulated modes.

Of course, I could be totally wrong... it happens!