All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Cabinets and HTPC Setups Running GameEx

David R Hilgendorf

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is supportive and once the adult kids move out and we are "empty nesters" again I am sure she will be more willing for me to build an arcade machine of my own. Right now we are stacked like cord wood with people, pets, and furniture. Your wife needs to lighten up a bit - you aren't bar hopping, out gambling, etc. You are at home with your hobby with your family. That has to count for something.

"you aren't bar hopping, out gambling, etc. You are at home with your hobby with your family. That has to count for something." Well said my friend :)

This is my third mame cabinet, like the other 2 ive made its 3/4 size. Have gone down the pacman route this time

Very impressive, better than the originals :)

SM

"you aren't bar hopping, out gambling, etc. You are at home with your hobby with your family. That has to count for something." Well said my friend :)

Run it by your better half and if it is truly well said, you won't end up with a goose-egg on your head if she takes the frying pan to you! :P

Thanks for the comments, its been a bit of a struggle to build as I work a 50 hour week, its taken just under 3 weeks to build, I think the longest part of the build this time has been the side art, cp, marquee etc... I didnt want to spend a fortune so I cut all the stickers on my vinyl cutter ( bloody nightmare )dint paint the cabinet this time either, so the whole box is vinyl wrapped too. very chuffed with the result as is my 6 year old who wont get off it lol !!!

I finally got my media PC completely setup and functional to my liking not too long ago.

Here's a demonstration I put up on my Youtube channel:

Part 1

Part 2

Note that I did a couple of things regarding polish after this: You no longer see the CMD windows or JoyToKey pop up for a millisecond and everything does nice little fade in-out effects thanks to AlphaXP.

I also switched Winlogon.exe for Minlogon.exe and made GameEx get called earlier in the boot process, so it gets to GameEx about 9 seconds faster currently.

May look at cutting the cable eventually - at least for the TV. Any reason in particular using XP Pro over Home Edition or just what you had available at the time of your build?

Thanks for the answer. Just thought I would ask as many are not aware when building an HTPC, especially if it is doubling as a simple media server that there are tools available in XP Professional for network connectivity and security that you won't find as part of the Home version. I believe that the same holds true for Vista and 7, especially when it comes to creating work groups. The Professional or Enterprise versions have always been my preferred versions.

For sale? :(

I really like the 2nd monitor in place of the marquee... It's a very professional job! The coin button power switch idea is pretty revolutionary too!

Yes, for sale. My raid5 crashed, and left me with virtually no data. Fortunately all of the setup is on a separate drive, so basically just add your emulators, and roms, and everything SHOULD be good to go. It took very little effort on my part to get Mame going again, and I would suspect that emulators that I had setup previously would be just as simple. All of the emulators have a custom CPanel image for each of them similar to what you see in Mame except with an overlay of a Gamepad on the image, and Logitec profiler has been setup to map the games to the control panel on the Main CP, as well as Gamepads.

2 minutes after I took the video, I took the computer out of the cab, put it in a case, and voila' instant HTPC.

So the cabinet is for sale, along with the original drive that holds all of the setup information. I will be asking $2500 USD but will entertain reasonable offers, keep in mind that the CP components alone were more than $1000.

The CP images for all of the emulators that I had setup except SNES and Visual Pinball.

post-2333-0-20981600-1304273156_thumb.pn

post-2333-0-63592300-1304273726_thumb.pn

post-2333-0-05719800-1304273933_thumb.pn

post-2333-0-66872700-1304274199_thumb.pn

post-2333-0-65459700-1304274478_thumb.pn

post-2333-0-15806700-1304274684_thumb.pn

post-2333-0-81202700-1304274995_thumb.pn

post-2333-0-40167100-1304275178_thumb.pn

post-2333-0-64200700-1304275492_thumb.pn

I reminded myself of Invincer's cab from DA in this thread:

http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=7594&hl=%20dream%20%20authentics&st=0

$750 upgrade, just for the lighted buttons. $6350 total cost. Somebody could put $1000 in sideart, and a computer, and have a nice cab for $3500.

That's it, I'm done promoting my cab. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished my cab!

The photo diary is here cab diary

Thanks to LarryJ for some advice early on in the project.

arcadediary17small.jpg

Excellent job! Is there a Missus Wubble and, if so, what did she have to say about all the dust?

Haha! Missus Wubble! :D

Looks really professional! Excellent job! I like the blue t-moulding. Looking at your cab diary now. :)

I did my work inside my house too, and let me tell you, the missus was NOT happy about the sawdust! I hear about it even today while I work on the jukebox about what a slob I am. :)