All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Mame Compiler and high score questions - NEWB!

hellothere

Hi there, and thanks for all the info so far.

I have Mame 32 set up perfectly running on Gameex. I noticed some games (street fighter for ex) don't save the high scores.

All I want to do is get it to save the high scores...should be easy - but here is what I'm confused about.

I've read about compiling Mame...using Mame Compiler for example...but it was said that I can't use Mame32.

So do I have to follow the instructions using a mame source and compile that one...now I am really confused on if I'd follow the mame compiler guide, and then add in all my roms, artwork, etc AFTER or before compiling.

And the guide says to put the mame source into C:programs\mame compiler\mame

So do I have to have my mame and roms redirecterd to that folder...right now it is at C:\arcade\emulators\mame32

Some havbe said compiling is "easy" but it seems like its really confusing...

Thanks for your responces!

Basically it works like this

1. Install Mame Compiler

2. Download the Mame source from mamedev.org (ie. mame0123s.zip)

3. Download the Mame binary from mamedev.org (ie. mame0123b.exe)

4. Download the hiscore diff patch for the version of Mame here.

5. Rename hi_123.txt to hi_123.diff and copy the file into C:\MinGW\patches

6. Extract the mame0123s.zip to C:\MinGW\source\Mame0123

7. Run the mame0123b.exe and extract it to where you want to run Mame (Eg. C:\Emulators\Mame)

8. Run Mame Compiler (Start->Program Files->Mame Compiler->MameCompiler)

9. Click the [...] button to browse for the "Diff Patch File" and point it to hi_123.diff

10. Click the "Apply Patch" button

11. Press the "GO!" button to compile Mame

12. One it's finished take the mame.exe file from the "C:\MinGW\source\Mame0123" folder and copy it to where you want to run Mame (Eg. C:\Emulators\Mame) and overwrite the one you extracted from mame0123b.exe

NOTE: You only need to download the binary if you don't have Mame already setup.

GREAT directions...thank you as well.

A question...I have just recently set up game ex running MAME FX. The hi score seems to work in most of the games. What advantage is there to compiling as you suggested? Are there other patches to apply to add functionality (e.g. remove messages like "there are known problems with this rom")?

Many thanks~

Chad

GREAT directions...thank you as well.

A question...I have just recently set up game ex running MAME FX. The hi score seems to work in most of the games. What advantage is there to compiling as you suggested? Are there other patches to apply to add functionality (e.g. remove messages like "there are known problems with this rom")?

Many thanks~

Chad

The hiscore patch already removes those messages as well as a few other cab related tweaks.

I followed what you said, applied patch, but after patch is done, I click GO and an error comes up:

MinGW no target specified....STOP

I hasve the compiler going to the correct defauly folders

help??

Is your "Mame Source Folder" pointing to the folder with the Mame source you extracted?

post-367-1200887837_thumb.png

• 2 months later...
The hiscore patch already removes those messages as well as a few other cab related tweaks.

I KNOW this can't be this tough...but I'm having trouble gettingthis to work.

'

The problem I'm having is I download the mame source file like you mentioned. But when I unzip the mame source there is a docs and src folder and makefile.

You mentioned that I need to have a mame.exe file and I can't find it in the unzip source folder.

In the C:\Program Files\Mame Compiler 64 \ mame folder you mentioned on step 12.....I don't have that folder because as I mentioned I have a docs and src folder only.

Sorry for being a idiot!

I KNOW this can't be this tough...but I'm having trouble gettingthis to work.

'

The problem I'm having is I download the mame source file like you mentioned. But when I unzip the mame source there is a docs and src folder and makefile.

You mentioned that I need to have a mame.exe file and I can't find it in the unzip source folder.

In the C:\Program Files\Mame Compiler 64 \ mame folder you mentioned on step 12.....I don't have that folder because as I mentioned I have a docs and src folder only.

Sorry for being a idiot!

You dont get a mame.exe util the src is compilied.

Download the Full installer (Mame compilier) This includes mingw and the other needed files.

Download the mame src from mame dev.

Tell the compilier where the mame src folder is. (The location of the make file)

Download and Apply the Diff for your version of mame.

Then Click compile.

In the instructions above, it says to download the mame source, and the mame binary....

(If I got this one wrong, this will be the last time I try to help... I want all of you to know that I've enjoyed my time here.)

(I still reserve the right to ask a question) :P

Tempest

Edit: Crap... Brian jumped in while I was typing....Am I wrong?

In the instructions above, it says to download the mame source, and the mame binary....

(If I got this one wrong, this will be the last time I try to help... I want all of you to know that I've enjoyed my time here.)

Tempest

yes :(

You dont download the mame binary... Unless you have a patch for the EXE..

But sadly I cannot distribute them anymore. :(

But by all means... Keep helping.. Your doing great !

EDIT: Besides the directions are somewhat misleading.. He suggests downloading the binary from mame dev... Probably because it also inclusde all needed subfolders... If you look closer he says to overwrite the downloaded EXE with the one you compilied..

Thus you really dont need that step.. Especially if you already have mame setup. :) Its probably mentiond for peeps seting up mame for the FIRST time.

Well I certainly don't feel like I'm doing great...I read something of my own that I posted a few months ago, and I thought "Wow, That was really smart", now I'm not even sure how to do what I myself had just done.

Ok. back to this... Isn't this about patching the .exe? Doesn't it say in step three of the instructions above to download the Mame.exe?

This is as bad as not needing a loader for (I can't even remember which emulator) in that other thread. I thought it was pretty clear in the instructions to use the loader, then you say not too. I'm sure your right, I just don't see how I can screw up something that seems so clear.... I think I've blown a fuse, its pretty dark in here...

I'm pretty sure the last time I did any good was with Barcio, and to be honest, I'm suprised I pulled that off....

EDIT: Besides the directions are somewhat misleading.. He suggests downloading the binary from mame dev... Probably because it also inclusde all needed subfolders... If you look closer he says to overwrite the downloaded EXE with the one you compilied..

Thus you really dont need that step.. Especially if you already have mame setup. :) Its probably mentiond for peeps seting up mame for the FIRST time.

I folled the instructions, and I can apply the hi score diff, but when I click "Go", numerous times...nothing happens.

Is there a step by step cuz I'm losing no co-nuts

Well I certainly don't feel like I'm doing great...I read something of my own that I posted a few months ago, and I thought "Wow, That was really smart", now I'm not even sure how to do what I myself had just done.

Ok. back to this... Isn't this about patching the .exe? Doesn't it say in step three of the instructions above to download the Mame.exe?

This is as bad as not needing a loader for (I can't even remember which emulator) in that other thread. I thought it was pretty clear in the instructions to use the loader, then you say not too. I'm sure your right, I just don't see how I can screw up something that seems so clear.... I think I've blown a fuse, its pretty dark in here...

I'm pretty sure the last time I did any good was with Barcio, and to be honest, I'm suprised I pulled that off....

Sorry I didnt mean to piss in your corn flakes this morining. You really are doing great.

Heres the deal. The first versions of NullDc did require a loader. I wrote one. NoLogic wrote one and Kenclops wrote one.

Then nologics loaders were pulled.. I came up with another method of launching games with out a loader through INI edits.

So you really dont need a loader..now that is. Truth be told there are several threads here about the same stuff (nulldc is no diffrent). Some have diffrent awnsers.. You happend to be looking at a thread that didn't have that info. I happned to remember where it was because I posted it. And because I'm a forum whore.

Also. HK did mention to download the binary.. So your weren't wrong... Its just not needed to compile your version of mame.

Its a little misleading if you dont understand the steps required.. As far as the patch goes it was just me rambling... If you've been here long enough you would remember the patches I used to create for various mame builds where all you would have to do is run an EXE in your mame DIR and all disclaimer would be removed.. However Arron Giles from mame dev asked that I dont distribute the patch. There was a uproar at arcade controls about it.. That thread is probably in post hell about now. If you compiled mame yourself you would know all about it.

But your just reitterating what HK said.. Which isn't wrong. Just not a needed step.

It's nice that your taking so much time to help others. And I read all posts and I think your doing a great job and are being very helpfull. Keep up the good work.

Brian Hoffman

Yes downloading the binary is not necessary but I put that step in for two reasons. 1) It illustrates the difference between the binary and source code downloads. Some people download the binary and try to compile it. This prevents the misunderstanding there and 2) It creates the file structure and sub folders, so if they have never setup Mame before it might help people better understand.

I edited the steps so they are up to date with the latest version.

Ya, I forgot to close this one out.. Hellothere got it going. He was using a couple diffrent sources and pointing to the wrong folder..

I figure thats why you added those instructions in there.. I believe I mentioned that somewhere in this thread.. Any ways this issue is resolved.

Take care :)

(Brian Hoffman @ Mar 21 2008, 03:32 PM)
(Tempest @ Mar 21 2008, 03:30 PM)

Tempest

I wanted to make sure that everyone knew that the reason I'm still trying to help is because Brian gave me a "Mulligan" :P

Thanks Brian!

Is there a way to compile the MAMEUI32 with the hiscores code or only MAME?

I can only speak from my experience. I found that using mame32 complicated my compiling effort. In the guide it says it can be done, but I know it made things more confusing for me.

If your using Gameex as a frontend, then just use regular mame.

Let me know if that helps.