All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Getting Gameex and Karafun Working 100%

Blueboy

Hi All

I'm trying to get Karafun (karaoke software) to work with Gameex by setting it up as an emulator..

Everything is fine except the fact that when a song finishes focus is not returned to Gameex (until you press the back button etc).

I would like Karafun to exit as soon as the song finishes and return to the song list..

Karafun itself does not support any /exit or /quit commands etc from the command line..

I'm not sure it can be done but I just thought I ask just in case !!!!

Thanks

Blueboy

GameEx detects when the process (program) it launches no longer exists. When that happens it takes over control again. If you want to exit the program before the program is ready to quit, you can press a predefined exit key which will send a command to the program to quit and take control. The only reason I can think that GameEx doesn't take control back when the song is done is if the process is still in memory for some reason.

If you can't get it to work the way you have it, it might be possible to write an AHK or AI script as a wrapper. Basically, the script would launch your program and when it was done, the script would detect that it was done and clean up in whatever way was necessary (kill the process most likely). If a wrapper is needed, nologic might be the best one to talk to since he has written a TON of them.

I've made a AHK script for you to try...

Extract KaraFunLauncherEXE.zip to your KaraFun directory (default is "C:\Program Files\KaraFun\")

Make sure you have KaraFun set to start in fullscreen

In your EmuConfig set the command line to:

KaraFunLauncher.exe "[ROMPath]\[RomFile]"

Thats it... the script will launch karaFun and your file then wait for the fullscreen display to close before closing KaraFun which should return you back to GameEx

I haven't tested it from within GameEx because I'm not near my cabinet so let me know how you get on

The uncompiled script is in the KaraFunLauncherSource.zip if you want to see how it's done

Stu

KaraFunLauncherEXE.zip

KaraFunLauncherSource.zip

That worked exactly how I wanted it!!! :)

Just like to say thanks a lot for the script and the advice from both of you.

Although I new to Gameex I finding it a great piece of software and the community help here is excellent too

Thanks Again

Blueboy

• 2 weeks later...
I've made a AHK script for you to try...

Extract KaraFunLauncherEXE.zip to your KaraFun directory (default is "C:\Program Files\KaraFun\")

Make sure you have KaraFun set to start in fullscreen

In your EmuConfig set the command line to:

KaraFunLauncher.exe "[ROMPath]\[RomFile]"

Thats it... the script will launch karaFun and your file then wait for the fullscreen display to close before closing KaraFun which should return you back to GameEx

I haven't tested it from within GameEx because I'm not near my cabinet so let me know how you get on

The uncompiled script is in the KaraFunLauncherSource.zip if you want to see how it's done

Stu

Hi PimpDaddyStu,

I've been using the script you made up top for awhile now and it's great. But recently I ran into a problem with KaraFun. I have some songs that come in an MPG movie. And for some reason the script no longer works properly when only the MPG movies come on. I used Autoit3 (used it once or twice but I have NOOO Idea what I'm doing, its more trial and error) to check out your script and edit it but nothing works.

I think the problem is that the Window Title for MPG files changes from "KaraFun3" to the actual name of the file being played. Also the "Class" is not "Direct3d" but something that starts with "TKFNViewFrmfilename" Like I said I have no idea how any of this works but those are the differences I found. I tried to edit your script to call on the "Class" but honestly I don't know how to pass on the GameEx parameters to the compiled script. (Like once I have the exe I don't know how to get it to open "[RomPath]\[RomFile]"

Anyways if you could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

Hope I gave you a good chuckle with my in depth Non-Knowledge of coding

Phantom

Hi PimpDaddyStu,

I've been using the script you made up top for awhile now and it's great. But recently I ran into a problem with KaraFun. I have some songs that come in an MPG movie. And for some reason the script no longer works properly when only the MPG movies come on. I used Autoit3 (used it once or twice but I have NOOO Idea what I'm doing, its more trial and error) to check out your script and edit it but nothing works.

I think the problem is that the Window Title for MPG files changes from "KaraFun3" to the actual name of the file being played. Also the "Class" is not "Direct3d" but something that starts with "TKFNViewFrmfilename" Like I said I have no idea how any of this works but those are the differences I found. I tried to edit your script to call on the "Class" but honestly I don't know how to pass on the GameEx parameters to the compiled script. (Like once I have the exe I don't know how to get it to open "[RomPath]\[RomFile]"

Anyways if you could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

Hope I gave you a good chuckle with my in depth Non-Knowledge of coding

Phantom

I've uploaded a new exe and source which should also support videos

Stu

What microphone are you'se using for KarFun? I set this up in my cab the other day but the mic I'm trying isn't making my voice come through the speakers, if I bag the top of the mic really hard I can here it through the speakers, in windows if I record myself I can just about hear myself but if there was music in the background my voice would be drowned out... it's only a wee cheapo mic a bought I'm just wondering if its likely to be the mic or my sound card... I checked that everything is turned up full but no difference I'm just getting alot of static

Stu

What microphone are you'se using for KarFun? I set this up in my cab the other day but the mic I'm trying isn't making my voice come through the speakers, if I bag the top of the mic really hard I can here it through the speakers, in windows if I record myself I can just about hear myself but if there was music in the background my voice would be drowned out... it's only a wee cheapo mic a bought I'm just wondering if its likely to be the mic or my sound card... I checked that everything is turned up full but no difference I'm just getting alot of static

Stu

Thanks its working great. The little control panel comes up in front of the screen but its nothing one mouse click doesn't fix.

As for the Mic's I actually have 2 mics hooked up to a splitter. They're real karaoke mics. But when I first hooked them up I also noticed that the volume was was too low. In my windows audio mixer I actually have a Mic Boost check box that seems to have fixed it, but not every soundcard has that. I tried other mics and some were better then others so I would try out a few if you can.

Thanks again for the file.

The little control panel comes up in front of the screen but its nothing one mouse click doesn't fix.

Give the new version a try, it should hide the panel after 2 seconds

Yeah I had tried the boost mode but all it done was boost the static :) I'll try and get my hands on a new microphone and see how it goes

Stu

• 3 months later...
Give the new version a try, it should hide the panel after 2 seconds

Yeah I had tried the boost mode but all it done was boost the static :) I'll try and get my hands on a new microphone and see how it goes

Stu

Hey again,

I've been using the script Stu made and its been perfect. I just redid my controls and I need to remap some buttons for certain emulators. I'm using Autohotkey and so far so good. I just have a question sice I'm new to the scripting. How would I add

lctrl::r
down::x
up::g
space::5

to the Karafunlauncher script. I've tried placing it in different places in the script and it does what its supposed too, except for exiting. (I know i'm not doing it right by just randomly throwing it in)

Could someone let me know what I need to do.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

I tried looking at the AHK source to see what was going on but I have no experience with AHK and couldn't make much out of it.

Any chance one of the resident AHK experts could take a look at it.

I have been trying to get a working Karaoke set up with GameEx for awhile now and I haven't had any luck. I hate to keep asking for help but I have tried extensively on my own and I can't figure it out.

Thanks

I tried looking at the AHK source to see what was going on but I have no experience with AHK and couldn't make much out of it.

Any chance one of the resident AHK experts could take a look at it.

I have been trying to get a working Karaoke set up with GameEx for awhile now and I haven't had any luck. I hate to keep asking for help but I have tried extensively on my own and I can't figure it out.

Thanks

By the end of the week I should be able to get it and take a looksey. But I cannot guarntee anything :)

It works fine for me without a loader. As pimpdaddystu said make it launch fullscreen. Ill attach a pic and my working config.

I grabbed the latest version from here: http://www.karafun.com/down/karafun_setup.exe

I installed it to c:\karafun

Run the program and goto options(see attached pic).

Here is the config for gameex. I just used the sample songs that came with the install so if you have many diffrent files types you will want to edit the rom filter. Now gameex supports karaoke so I must admit I feel dirty doing this.. so before anyone asks (no I will not create a config in gameex to launch maximus arcade) ;) with out further delay.

[Emulator_28]
Enabled=True
STARTPAGENAME=Karafun
TITLETEXT=Karafun
StartPageLogo=
ROMFilter=
RomPath=C:\KaraFun\Songs
SnapPath=
TitlePath=
BoxPath=
CartPath=
ManualPath=
ControlPanelPath=
InstructionsPath=
WorkingPath=C:\KaraFun\
MapKeys=True
WaitBeforeKeys=
SendKeys=
ReplaceDash=
ReplaceUnder=
Capitals=
RemoveBrackets=
ShowDesktop=False
Debug=False
MAPFile=
AlsoLaunch=
Command=KaraFun.exe "[rompath]/[romfile]"
OLDatZip=
LaunchBefore=
LaunchAfter=
configFile=
ExcludedFiles=
CustomBackground=
PlayMusic=
DontShowInfo=
PlaySelectionMusic=
SelectionMusicFolder=
PCGame=
DATABASE=
GamesIn7Zips=
PlayInScreenSaver=True
ShowMostPlayed=
RandomMostPlayed=
CDCheck=
CDCheckFile=
[GENERAL]
DumbyValue=

post-816-1204779245_thumb.jpg

It works fine for me without a loader. As pimpdaddystu said make it launch fullscreen. Ill attach a pic and my working config.

I grabbed the latest version from here: http://www.karafun.com/down/karafun_setup.exe

I installed it to c:\karafun

Run the program and goto options(see attached pic).

Here is the config for gameex. I just used the sample songs that came with the install so if you have many diffrent files types you will want to edit the rom filter. Now gameex supports karaoke so I must admit I feel dirty doing this.. so before anyone asks (no I will not create a config in gameex to launch maximus arcade) ;) with out further delay.

[Emulator_28]
Enabled=True
STARTPAGENAME=Karafun
TITLETEXT=Karafun
StartPageLogo=
ROMFilter=
RomPath=C:\KaraFun\Songs
SnapPath=
TitlePath=
BoxPath=
CartPath=
ManualPath=
ControlPanelPath=
InstructionsPath=
WorkingPath=C:\KaraFun\
MapKeys=True
WaitBeforeKeys=
SendKeys=
ReplaceDash=
ReplaceUnder=
Capitals=
RemoveBrackets=
ShowDesktop=False
Debug=False
MAPFile=
AlsoLaunch=
Command=KaraFun.exe "[rompath]/[romfile]"
OLDatZip=
LaunchBefore=
LaunchAfter=
configFile=
ExcludedFiles=
CustomBackground=
PlayMusic=
DontShowInfo=
PlaySelectionMusic=
SelectionMusicFolder=
PCGame=
DATABASE=
GamesIn7Zips=
PlayInScreenSaver=True
ShowMostPlayed=
RandomMostPlayed=
CDCheck=
CDCheckFile=
[GENERAL]
DumbyValue=

When the song is done it automatically exits back to gameex?

No when karafun is closed it goes back to gameex. You can goino advanced controls and setup a key or key sequence to close the emu.

Perhaps I didnt understand what ezactly you were after. ill take another look.

Ok I took another look at the launcher.

Since gameex is using the launcher as its process. Gameex is waiting for the loader to be exited before gameex comes back into focus.

The loader exits itself when the video isnt playing which is bringing gameex back into focus but never closes the karafun process.

I edited the laucher to close karafun also. Please unzip the attached archive and place in your karafun folder.

Note: Run the pskill.exe to accept the EULA berfore editing your gameex config.

Make your command in gameex look like.

command= KaraFunLauncher2.exe "[rompath]/[romfile]"

Let me know how it works for you.. It seems to work fine here. Also be sure to do the above steps in my previous post.

KaraFunloader.zip

Your welcome.. But the real credit goes to pimpdaddystu smile.gif

3 cheers for stu... hip hip horray...hip hip horray....hip hip horray

Yes, I didn't mean to leave Stu out. Thanks Stu and always thanks to Tom for a great frontend.

Edited by Draco1962
This thread is now closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread.