All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

NEWS: GameEx 7.50 Released

Tom Speirs

I'm pleased to present the first GameEx release of 2007. There has been a lot of fixes and optimisations and the entire project has been upgraded to .net framework 2.0. Because of .net 2.0, auto update will not work until you upgrade manually to this version of future versions. You obviously need .net 2.0 installed but the setup will automatically download it for you.

The main new features and enhancments are as follows:

• Setup wizard now features a search for setting feature.
  • Includes Ben Bakers LCD/LED Plugin
  • Plugin system 1.3 with included .net 2.0 source code templates
  • Speech plugin now speaks game descriptions
  • New plugn - random arcade sound
  • For registered users theres a PDF game manual viewer for MAME and emulators
  • New setting to disable the game information page at the emulator level
  • New setting to have gameex not hide the windows taskbar
  • Picture and slideshows now show the GameEx toolbar when the mouse is active
  • The progress dialog bar when playing videos and dvds now takes up less screen space
  • GameEx should startup and run faster
  • Fixes menu crash issue with certain themes
  • Fixes games not launching when game information page is disabled in certain configurations
  • Fixes display issues with certain fonts
  • There's more but that's the main changes

Coming soon is search functionality and a new additional theme/interface style.

I would like to again thank Ben Baker for his continued help and support.

Has the Theme Editor been updated to take advantage of ver 3 themes yet? Thanks again for the hard work Tom.

Not yet, I'm not even sure what V3 Themes are all about yet.

lingpanda: I'm hoping the new search feature of the Setup Wizard should help all of us in providing support. Instead of searching through pages of settings we can now just look them up by typing in keywords. We can also just say "search for xxx" in the Setup Wizard! I had you in mind when I thought of it (hopefully help you with your tutes as well) ;)

I'm sure there will be a question popping up soon of "where can I get game manuals"? I asked Tom the same question and he pointed me to www.gamemanuals.net but it seems to be down at the moment.

Great update Tom! (Especially love the new font handling code SLICK!)

Not yet, I'm not even sure what V3 Themes are all about yet.

lingpanda: I'm hoping the new search feature of the Setup Wizard should help all of us in providing support. Instead of searching through pages of settings we can now just look them up by typing in keywords. We can also just say "search for xxx" in the Setup Wizard! I had you in mind when I thought of it (hopefully help you with your tutes as well) ;)

I'm sure there will be a question popping up soon of "where can I get game manuals"? I asked Tom the same question and he pointed me to www.gamemanuals.net but it seems to be down at the moment.

Great update Tom! (Especially love the new font handling code SLICK!)

I briefly scanned through the search function. I'll have to put it through its paces. I did a search for "Verify Setup" and nothing was returned. Is there a way to access this without going through menus?

One minor issue Tom, in my Soul Calibur theme (I run 1280 x 1024 on my cab), the x of xxxx display beneath the game list is immediately after the list rather than having a space beneath it and the list above. I'm not sure if it supposed to be like that, if so I can just as easy turn it off.

I briefly scanned through the search function. I'll have to put it through its passes. I did a search for "Verify Setup" and nothing was returned. Is there a way to access this without going through menus?

Verify Setup wont show on the search because it's for searching out individual settings by name. To get to Verify Setup (I thought you would know this one ;) ) just select Custom Wizard Mode, then click next twice and your there.

Verify Setup wont show on the search because it's for searching out individual settings by name. To get to Verify Setup (I thought you would know this one ;) ) just select Custom Wizard Mode, then click next twice and your there.

Haha.. what a newb I am. I've never bothered not selecting anything and just clicking next.

Is it recommended to upgrade from the previous version, or to backup a few of the files we need from the previous and install 7.50 into a fresh folder?

You can overwrite your previous install with the new version. Will not harm anything.

Sweet! The addition to add manuals is AWESOME. I have a few collections of them but wasn't sure what to do with them. Also getting rid of the "game info" page is wonderful too...makes GameEx even more universal while not losing functionality. WOOHOO!

Will

Is there an way to upgrade to the new software thru the configuration or front end? I tried to upgrade last night by d/l'ing the new version but i don't think it took. Is there a file I can look at that would tell me I have the latest version? Thanks.

Is there an way to upgrade to the new software thru the configuration or front end? I tried to upgrade last night by d/l'ing the new version but i don't think it took. Is there a file I can look at that would tell me I have the latest version? Thanks.
There has been a lot of fixes and optimisations and the entire project has been upgraded to .net framework 2.0. Because of .net 2.0, auto update will not work until you upgrade manually to this version of future versions.

I don't see Windows XP MCE under MS's .NET Framework 2.o Redestributable Package list of supported OSs. Is it requisite to upgrade to Vista before upgrading to this latest version of GameEx?

No, its fine. MS dont list it sometimes for some reason, but its same as XP.

One minor issue Tom, in my Soul Calibur theme (I run 1280 x 1024 on my cab), the x of xxxx display beneath the game list is immediately after the list rather than having a space beneath it and the list above. I'm not sure if it supposed to be like that, if so I can just as easy turn it off.

Can you post a screenshot and let me know what font options your using.

I can't remember if I changed the list number positiong in this version or not. I dont think I did.

I get an exception when I try to install and then run GameEx 7.50. Downloaded 7.51 and will try that as well.

I don't have an internet connection in my cabinet at the moment, so I've disabled all the downloads in the installation (please make the manual viewer available either as a separate download or include it).

Emph

I get an exception when I try to install and then run GameEx 7.50. Downloaded 7.51 and will try that as well.

I don't have an internet connection in my cabinet at the moment, so I've disabled all the downloads in the installation (please make the manual viewer available either as a separate download or include it).

Emph

Need to know what it is mate. Also did you see the FAQ item about files ending in exe.config?

Same for me. No matter whether I take 7.50 or 7.51 :(

Exeption occurs at the end of installation process whilst "finishing installation"