All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[HANDHELD] Asus ROG Ally Extreme with 4TB M.2 2280 SSD Mod

Draco1962

Santa was good to me this year and gifted me with a Asus ROG Ally Extreme. It comes with a 512GB 2230 M.2 mini SSD.

Upgrading to a 2280 M.2 without modifying the case and internals will not void the warranty.

I will be adding the following:

Rog Ally Handheld Conversion 2230 to 2280 SSD Hard Drive Expansion Board

WD_BLACK 4TB SN850X NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 7,300 MB/s - WDS400T2X0E

M.2 Heatsink Copper, m2 pcie NVMe Laptop PS5 Heatsink Copper,with Silicone Thermal Pad, for M.2 2280 SSD Laptop

There are many videos and Reddits available detailing this process with as many recommendations, and, of course, opinions regarding power draw and temperature concerns.

Current idle temps are running at 43C average. I have not stressed it with games via Turbo mode as I did not want to install anything only to have to do so again. I have chosen to go the route of system restore via BIOS rather than cloning the drive.

More to follow...

• Like 1

• Draco1962 changed the title to [HANDHELD] Asus ROG Ally Extreme with 4TB M.2 2280 SSD Mod

So far temps are averaging in the 39-45c range at idle post mod.  I have yet to push it with a power hungry AAA title, but suspect that if my idle temps are relatively unchanged, then maximums should be nominal.

I finally had a chance to load a game from Steam - Brutal Legend. Not a current "AAA" title, but compatible with the "Xbox" controller layout which to me is gold because I don't have to wrangle button or stick assignments. 

So far the temps have yet to exceed 62C during game play which is below my expectations. I see online where others are throwing every graphic enhancement and Turbo Mode and max FPS on AAA titles. Then they wine about thermal issues. Many don't have any heat dissipation on their stock or mod chips. 

I am less likely to play most stuff in Turbo Mode even if they support it as I am playing to a 7" 1920 x1080 screen. Works for me!

Added the following accessories:

This is a good idea for quick connecting the ROG Ally to Ethernet and peripherals such as an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, additional external drives, etc. = pretty much turns the Ally into a desktop PC if you'd rather, however, I find it easier to work on configs and installing games rather then dealing with the text pad keyboard.

iVANKY Legion Go/ROG Ally/Steam Deck Dock with 65W PD Charger, 8-in-1 Hub Docking Station with HDMI 4K@60Hz Gigabit Ethernet, USB-A 3.0, 100W Charging USB-C Port for Valve Stream Deck

A little protection and for on the go.

ButterFox Large Carrying Case Bag For ASUS Rog Ally Handheld 2023, Fits Charger and ASUS Charging Dock, Large Pocket for 65W Battery Pack, Slim Mouse and HDMI Cable

And screen protection with anti-glare (matte) finish that also helps hide finger prints and smears

JSAUX ROG Ally Screen Protector 2-Pack, Anti Glare 9H Hardness Tempered Glass Screen Protector with Guiding Frame, 7 inch Full Coverage Anti-Scratch Screen Protector for ASUS ROG Ally Gaming Handheld

What you did with your Ally is what I did with my Steam Deck - go nuts and get all the toys! :) I have never tried a ROG Ally but I CAN say that I literally use my Steam Deck daily. Literally. Slay the Spire is my current passion. :)

5 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

What you did with your Ally is what I did with my Steam Deck - go nuts and get all the toys! :) I have never tried a ROG Ally but I CAN say that I literally use my Steam Deck daily. Literally. Slay the Spire is my current passion. :)

Your response gave me an idea - whould you mind going into a little detail about the game or other favorites here?

• 2 months later...

3 MONTH UPDATE: 

So far really enjoying this handheld a lot. Using Retroarch to emulate N64, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance. Other than some issues (which are fixable) with controls assignments, it just works and very well.

Will give GameEx Arcade Edition a go soon and add to the emulator mix.

• Like 1