All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Crash on table launch using vpinballx starter app

scutters

Hi,

Finally getting round to updating the cab a bit and even loading on visual pinball 10.8 (beta). As part of the update process i thought i'd give the vpinballx.starter.exe app a go (as vpx 10.8 might not be totally backwards compatible i'd rather leave tables that were last saved in vpx 10.7 opening with vpx 10.7). 

The starter app when configured should look at the table launch parameters, open the table file in the background to work out which version it was saved with and then pass through the cmd to the correct vpinball exe version configured in it's ini file. 

But, after adding & configuring the starter app and renaming it to vpinballx.exe for PinballX to use, PinballX crashes on table launch.

12:46:15.38  28/11/2023:  C:\Visual Pinball\VPinballX.exe /minimized /play "C:\Visual Pinball\Tables\The Walking Dead (Stern 2014)_x32.vpx"
12:46:16.01  28/11/2023:  C:\PinballX\vpauto.exe 
12:46:20.19  28/11/2023:  Created DirectX BackGlass Window
12:46:20.39  28/11/2023:  Created DirectX DMD Window
12:46:20.79  28/11/2023:  Main display running full screen windowed.
12:46:20.85  28/11/2023:  HRESULT: [0x88760868], Module: [Unknown], ApiCode: [Unknown/Unknown], Message: Unknown
12:46:20.91  28/11/2023:  Error. Exiting
12:46:20.91  28/11/2023:  Video
12:46:20.91  28/11/2023:  HRESULT: [0x88760868], Module: [Unknown], ApiCode: [Unknown/Unknown], Message: Unknown
12:46:20.91  28/11/2023:     at PinballX.FrmMain.a(Boolean A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2, Boolean A_3, Boolean A_4, Boolean A_5, Boolean A_6)
12:46:20.91  28/11/2023:     at PinballX.FrmMain.a1()
12:46:20.91  28/11/2023:     at PinballX.FrmMain.InternalNew()

C:\Visual Pinball\VPinballX.exe /minimized /play "C:\Visual Pinball\Tables\The Walking Dead (Stern 2014)_x32.vpx"

Will launch a table via the starter app correctly from a cmd prompt.

I guess the crash has something to do with PinballX trying to monitor for the visual pinball player window when the process PinballX launches isn't actually visual pinball but a process that launches visual pinball and then closes?.

log.txt PinballX.ini

Strange construction indeed.

It's not the answer, but how about set the system type to "other" will that help ?

@Tom Speirs is this something you would take a look at it, or you feel confident that 10.8 will be fully backwards compatible and no need for external launcher ?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

It's not the answer, but how about set the system type to "other" will that help ?

I just had the same idea!.

Changing the system type to custom instead of VP averts the crash of PinballX and the table launches ok, but sadly PinballX doesn't recognise the table as having launched and goes back to the wheel (so PinballX and VPX are active at the same time)

Properly the launcher process is closing when table is launched ? So you won't know which  process to monitor?

I think the tool works fine, but need some adjustments .  Otherwise not usable for front end

EDIT: I tested the program as well.
The problem is indeed that he program launches the correct VPinball exe file and closes it self.
As the the frontend doesn't have a clue which process it needs to monitor , it will return to the main screen.
This needs to be addresses to the developer of the program as well.
i thought Jarr3 was on this forum as well, but could not find him to include this.
maybe add a post to VPU and address this issue with front end usage(think other front end should have the same issue)

That makes sense, thanks Mike.

I guess in its current format the starter app isn't useable in PinballX. Bit of a shame as it would be 'set and forget', the alternative is to use the alternateexe flag in PinballX but that does need more user maintenance.

I'll reply on the vpu thread, not sure if Jarr3 / @jrl will see this here. 

Still doesn't quite explain the PinballX crash when the system using the starter app is set as Visual Pinball, if the starter app was set to stay open until vpx closes would pbx still crash?

• Like 1

There is now a build available with a fix... hope this should make it work for PinballX.

Check here https://github.com/JockeJarre/VPinballX.starter/actions
You need an github account to be able to download the builds.

Now the VPinballX.starter exe hangs there waiting for the started VPinball executable.

Though scary to see that my small tool (< 200 lines C#) take more memory than VPX (without any table loaded) 😉

This is how it should be, thanks for pointing it out and writing the ticket! If you like it, I can close the issue and make a new release.

/Richard (Jarr3)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jrl said:

Now the VPinballX.starter exe hangs there waiting for the started VPinball executable.

Just a question. If your program will be closed (by terminating the program for example), will it also close the vp player and vp editor ? To avoid any open vp processes ? 

15 hours ago, jrl said:

There is now a build available with a fix... hope this should make it work for PinballX.

Check here https://github.com/JockeJarre/VPinballX.starter/actions
You need an github account to be able to download the builds.

Though scary to see that my small tool (< 200 lines C#) take more memory than VPX (without any table loaded) 😉

This is how it should be, thanks for pointing it out and writing the ticket! If you like it, I can close the issue and make a new release.

/Richard (Jarr3)

The new version works! :)

Thanks @jrl

• Like 1

• scutters changed the title to [RESOLVED] Crash on table launch using vpinballx starter app
  • Draco1962 locked this topic