All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PinballX - Still Running on Exit and Weird 64-bit Table Behavior

echodun

Two new issues since adding a 64-bit version of VpinballX along with my existing 32-bit version (why do we upgrade?).

1.  When I exit out of PinballX, there are three apps still running by PinballX (and the Windows system bar [at the bottom of the screen] is gone for a bit of time).  Those processes are as follows:

AnyCPUPluginWrapperx86.exe, ConsoleWindowHost, PinballX

It takes a good period of time (several minutes) before those processes finally end and close and the Windows system bar eventually reappears.

2.  When I load certain 64-bit tables, I get random errors.  Johnny Mnemonic, for example, sometimes loads great.  Other times it gives me a black playfield and I need to ALT F4 out of it.  Another table, LOTR, doesn't always show the DMD display.  Now these very well could be issues with the 64-bit version of PinballX, but when I load them directly from the program itself, they don't indicate any issues.  Also, I'm wondering if they have something to do with the fact that I'm loading them via the "Other Systems" function of PinballX even though the system is set-up to incorporate Visual Pinball.

I do thoroughly enjoy PinballX as my launcher and would like to keep it that way.

Pinball.ini file attached.  Thank you.

PinballX.ini

This is properly caused by the real dmd driver (pinDMD.DLL).
I think you also noticed that table launches takes longer to load as well.

As a workaround I created a plugin a while ago that uses flexDMD instead of PinDMD (I have this issues for a very long time and Tom is working very hard to get it fixed)
When testing with Freezy for his 2.1 release , I mentioned that DMDdevice caused crashes of PinballX.
So in his later release he fixed the crashes and DMDdevice.dll can be used

If you use 64 bit, copy DmdDevice64.dll and dmddevice.ini to the PinballX's installation folder (if you use 32bit, use DMDdevice.dll). 
To 'fool' PinbalLX to not use the PinDMD.dll, I set a not used com port in my pindmd.ini (I set it to com 5)

Attached is my pinDMD.ini with set the real DMD to COM5. You can place this in your PinballX folder.

This should fix your issue that PinballX is closing slowly and that tables are launching faster

pinDMD.ini

9 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

As a workaround I created a plugin a while ago that uses flexDMD instead of PinDMD (I have this issues for a very long time and Tom is working very hard to get it fixed)
When testing with Freezy for his 2.1 release , I mentioned that DMDdevice caused crashes of PinballX.

If you use 64 bit, copy DmdDevice64.dll and dmddevice.ini to the PinballX's installation folder (if you use 32bit, use DMDdevice.dll). 
To 'fool' PinbalLX to not use the PinDMD.dll, I set a not used com port in my pindmd.ini (I set it to com 5)

Attached is my pinDMD.ini with set the real DMD to COM5. You can place this in your PinballX folder.

This should fix your issue that PinballX is closing slowly and that tables are launching faster

pinDMD.ini 67 B · 1 download

Thank you Mike.  I'll give it a shot.

9 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

pinDMD.ini 67 B · 1 download

Yeah, that didn't work.  After moving the dmddevice files over I couldn't exit the tables without getting the Visual Pinball exit option menu and even if I selected exit game, PinballX would crash as not responding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, echodun said:

Yeah, that didn't work.  After moving the dmddevice files over I couldn't exit the tables without getting the Visual Pinball exit option menu and even if I selected exit game, PinballX would crash as not responding.

Then you don't have at the correct versions of freezy dmdext  in your pinballx and vpinmame directory. Both must be at least 2.2.0. Others makes pinballx hung

Another option is to use my plugin

2 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

Then you don't have at the correct versions of freezy dmdext  in your pinballx and vpinmame directory. Both must be at least 2.2.0. Others makes pinballx hung

Another option is to use my plugin

It's interesting that you brought up me not having the latest versions.  When I updated Freezy recently, I was forced to replace the dmddevice.dll and dmddevice64.dll with my prior versions because the DMD colorization went away when I updated.  I wonder if that's causing some of the issues.  I seem to recall once that the pindmd3 folks said you had to use their .dll files for it to work, but I'm wondering if you've encountered any similar issues when upgrading or perhaps you don't utilize the colorized dmd?

44 minutes ago, echodun said:

It's interesting that you brought up me not having the latest versions.  When I updated Freezy recently, I was forced to replace the dmddevice.dll and dmddevice64.dll with my prior versions because the DMD colorization went away when I updated.  I wonder if that's causing some of the issues.  I seem to recall once that the pindmd3 folks said you had to use their .dll files for it to work, but I'm wondering if you've encountered any similar issues when upgrading or perhaps you don't utilize the colorized dmd?

Check vpu and github. I encouter a lot of issues