All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[GUIDE] using/setup Visual Pinball 10.8 with different settings

@Dacstyle asked me for documentation for settings up Vpinball 10.8 (still in beta) with different settings.

Some use cases :

• Default cabinet support
  • Used for tables with that needs some lower graphics settings
  • VR system
  • Headtracking devices

In previous versions all settings where set in the registry and using for example another system needs a launch script to change the value in the registry.
Starting from VisualPinballX 10.8 all the settings are stored in an INI file

When launching the VpinballX.EXE (VpinballX_GL.EXE, VPinballX64.exe or VPinballX_GL64.exe) for the first time, it will copy all the settings from the registry to %appdata%\VPinballX\VPinballX.ini

image.png.9cc96812c0bef6887ba1d7b34b0cd086.png

When this file exists, everytime you launch VpinballX 10.8 (or higher) it will use this INI file.
any change you make to the configuration will be made to this file as well

To use Visual Pinball with different settings, you can make copies of this file.
In my example I will make 3 different settings files :

1. Standard Visual Pinball 
  2. Visual Pinball 64 bit GL for headtracking
  3. Visual Pinball 64 Bit GL for VR

But as I said, you can make your settings file
If you save the INI file next to your table file, with the same table name, it will use this ini file for the specific table as well ! (But hard to manage 1100+ tables like me)

My steps :

Copy the file %appdata%\VPinballX\VPinballX.ini to your Visual Pinball Directory.
For me it is C:\Pinball\Visual Pinball 
Rename the file so, it you know the purpose of it
In my example :

1. Will be the standard VP settings (no extra ini, just the one from appdata)
  2. Visual VPinballX_Headtracking.ini
  3. Visual VPinballX_VR.ini

So I got 2 ini files in my Visual Pinball directory :

image.png.464947c6237b05a86f73e091ac3e969e.png

To launch Visual Pinball with a specific INI file, you need to launch the exe from the command line with a special -ini parameters :
For example to launch the VR :

image.png.0951052964a897e924674b27cb5293dd.png

This is not really user friendly, so I want to make it a bit easier.

When just checking tables, I'm not using my front end, but just using file explorer.
When I right click on them, I want to options that I created (see the 3 above). Like this :

image.png.13e6dc941b1d5463c78fafd2a144cf1a.png

Open and Edit are still the default 
But 'Edit Kinect' and 'Edit VR', I added (with the correct Ini files).

Create a text file call VP.reg (or anything with the extension .reg)
paste the following into it :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VPX_auto_file\shell\Edit VR]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VPX_auto_file\shell\Edit VR\command]
@="\"C:\\Pinball\\Visual Pinball Beta\\VPinballX_gl64.exe\" -ini \"C:\\pinball\\Visual Pinball\\VPinballX_VR.ini\" -edit \"%1\""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VPX_auto_file\shell\Edit Kinect]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VPX_auto_file\shell\Edit Kinect\command]
@="\"C:\\Pinball\\Visual Pinball Beta\\VPinballX64.exe\" -ini \"C:\\pinball\\Visual Pinball\\Visual VPinballX_Headtracking.ini\" -edit \"%1\""

Modify the names to display ('Edit Kinect' and 'Edit VR') for your own purpose
Also change the paths to the EXE files and the INI files to your own needs
save the file and should show up like this :

image.png.fcc3d2cab7d02dc96fc6acb3451ccb49.png

Double click the file 
image.png.96bc666648228ab02233911ddd38e9a8.png
click Yes

image.png.7afa8a07050741ebba38ae37fb54d643.png
and click Yes to confirm

Now you have the 2 extra menu options

Note :
If you want to setup for all users, replace the following lines
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VPX_auto_file\shell
to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\VPX_auto_file\shell

If you now right click on a VPX file, you can edit this in the system you want, and when exiting Visual Pinball , it will save it to that file.

For example, we only copied the files to the Viusl Pinball Direcorty.
now I want to setup my VR environment :
I right click on a VPX and select Edit VR

image.png.e17a022d72f3a913119d7f4ae84adc34.png

Visual Pinball will open (Gl version with the ini file for VR)
image.png.836109bc9e40e3dda93e2cc70c434213.png

I can make my adjustments for any settings and close Visual Pinball. this will automaticlly save the INI file
Testing a table ? just click run (F5) in the editor
image.thumb.png.f7a9a6cfc211343ad215e34fea7c092b.png
Now do this for all your ini files.

If you want to setup a specific INI file for a table that needs special threatment.
just copy an in ifile to the location where your VPX table is, and name the INI file with the same name :

image.png.76fc0576b247815306ba90388683208e.png

How to setup your frontend ?

Different configs needs to be separated by extra System (I hope that Tom will add this feature request :D
to the parameters, add -ini with the INI file as well
I have my VR tables in a different folder and set it up like this :

image.png.7cf534608228b6402606209e81f17ed6.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Mike, when I use the 'right click' and select 'edit VR' from the menu, as you demonstrated in the example above, it opens Visual Pinball and launches the table.

Is that correct, or am I missing something? It would be better if that menu could open the editor without launching the table.

10 hours ago, Dacstyle said:

Mike, when I use the 'right click' and select 'edit VR' from the menu, as you demonstrated in the example above, it opens Visual Pinball and launches the table.

Is that correct, or am I missing something? It would be better if that menu could open the editor without launching the table.

You properly missed the -edit option in the registry. 

image.png.87694616cc8fe137b5602b62f47b820c.png

• 3 months later...

Hi @Mike_da_Spike

do you know if VR LAUNCHER can run VPX with the -ini command to use an .ini file with the active VR function in the same way you explain here?

I have it solved in pinup system, but I have a friend who uses pinballx for cabinet and vr launcher for VR.

Now he wants to use the GL version also for cabinet, so he needs to create the separate .ini for VR and he is asking me for help to set up VR launcher.

I don't know if VR LAUNCHER supports the -ini command or if I will have to create a .bat file and run the .bat from vr launcher.

11 hours ago, Dacstyle said:

Hi @Mike_da_Spike

do you know if VR LAUNCHER can run VPX with the -ini command to use an .ini file with the active VR function in the same way you explain here?

I have it solved in pinup system, but I have a friend who uses pinballx for cabinet and vr launcher for VR.

Now he wants to use the GL version also for cabinet, so he needs to create the separate .ini for VR and he is asking me for help to set up VR launcher.

I don't know if VR LAUNCHER supports the -ini command or if I will have to create a .bat file and run the .bat from vr launcher.

It's completely of topic 😉

And you mention 2 front ends that are competitors of PinballX.

But yes ... vr launcher can use the -ini as well.

I (euh ... I don't use vr launcher, but just ... euh ... tested it 😁) put it in the parameter field as first option (not at pc for screenshot)

That should work ... but ... euh ... our secret that I have VR Launcher as well

Now, in my case, after trying all the frontends for both cabinet and VR, I've decided to go back to PinballX.

The main reason: I can't be on the opposite side of the street from Mike :D

But seriously: The VR mode launchers like VR Launcher or the VR mode of Pinup were not practical for me, despite having attracted me to change the first time I tried them.

Eventually, I find it much more comfortable to use the same menu and choose a table in cabinet or VR. If I launch the VR one, I do it normally and then put on the headset at that moment.

This way, I'll be able to enjoy the database manager and the Pinemhi plugins that I loved again.

So, you'll have me around here asking or helping out as much as I can.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

OK, I'm stupid, doing something wrong, or it's Windows 11 that is killing me. But I can't get that context working.

I've tried the reg settings, but I don't even get the open or edit up, I get. I am besaddened.

image.png.d0dd1460b0f66400223367b8ba690c23.png

9 hours ago, ZoltanGaal said:

OK, I'm stupid, doing something wrong, or it's Windows 11 that is killing me. But I can't get that context working.

I've tried the reg settings, but I don't even get the open or edit up, I get. I am besaddened.

image.png.d0dd1460b0f66400223367b8ba690c23.png

How is your registry part looking ?
type regedit and launch registry editor :
image.png.13bc78ed2e729343dd6a72ffb1f6ee76.png

paste the following text in the bar in registry editor and hit enter

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VPX_auto_file\shell\

image.png.d135527ddaeb3d4b4704a8c3d26eb88d.png

registry editor will jump automaticly to the location

image.png.46aa9f2d05665d5a4bad3c064a61932e.png

By default 'edit 'and 'open' will be showed (if you install VP via the VP minimal installer).
If VPX-AUTO-FILE is not present, re-install VP via VP installer, otherwise you don't have all the DLL registered for VP

If FILE is present, you can add a sub key with a name you like, and under that one, make a command subkey

In the default key put the path and parameters, like I did below

image.thumb.png.58c5646278bc52b8366aadd6a957181c.png

This is pointing to my VP 8 directory and I start the specific table in edit mode with a custom settings called VP.ini
Now I have the following options :

image.png.ab4c2180872650b5cd8af147fc3d9a80.png

I hope this make sense