All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[PLUGIN] FLEXDMD real DMD video player

Mike_da_Spike

This plugin is created as work around for issues with the XDMD API that is used within PinballX. 
See https://forums.gameex.com/forums/topic/27873-realdmd-still-in-use-by-pinballx-after-table-is-launched-when-attract-mode-was-active/ 
In short : I have a real DMD (PinDMDv3) and after PinballX running attract mode (screensaver  mode) in PinballX and launches a table that uses the DMD (via Pinmame, or DMDext) the display is still in use and nothing is showed during game.
Exiting the game will sometimes release the DMD again and next launch of table will sometimes works fine. Or I need to relaunch PinballX.

Side effect is that exiting PinballX could take up minutes to close the XDMD dll.

This plugin will use FLEXDMD (as this is part of Visual Pinball now) and will show the videos from your realDMD directory.

Pre-requests for this plugin :

• Working Flex DMD 1.9 or higher (https://github.com/vbousquet/flexdmd/actions For non public version, you need to login to Github)
  • Turn off XDMD to initialize the real DMD during start
  • This can be accomplished, by editing the PinDMD.ini in your PinballX directory (if not exists create the file) 
    add/modify the next line :
    comport=COM7

(the comport bust be a non existing comport of your real DMD)

Copy from the attached zip file the PBXFlexDMD.dll to your PinballX\Plugin directory

Starts from your PinballX folder (in your start menu) the option Plugins (or from your PinballX directory PluginManager.exe)
image.png.91a7805e5a7930a804ca88d14377e6df.png

From the Plugins program, enable FlexDMD Plugin by checking the checkbox and click exit (nothing to configure)

image.png.ea4f1086b5ba0125e733c1ad85ab1ed5.png

Launch PinballX 
If FlexDMD is configured correctly you will see on your DMD display :

image.thumb.png.caf82ca592d03e1b9a0a899165563224.png

When PinballX is started , you will see the corresponding video for your table.

The videos are searched in the following order :

• Extension in priority:
    • MP4
    • AVI
    • WMV
    • GIF
    • PNG
  • Name :
    • Filename (tablename)
    • Table description
  • - system -
  • \Media\Videos\No Real DMD Color.avi

This means it will first search for the exact filename (tablename) with extension .MP4. If not found, it will search for the AVI, still not found for a WMV file.
Not matched, it will do the same on table description (with the extension).
Still no  match, it will check if there is a file - system -.MP4 (avi and WMV)  
Still no match , it will display the default \Media\Videos\No Real DMD Color.avi

The same as PinballX does, the plugin will look in your XML to the  HideDMD. If this is set to false, it will display the current video during game play.
As I could not get a good scrolling with FlexDMD, the highscores check in settings.exe will be ignored by now.

In the plugin directory a log file will be created : PBXFlexDMDDisplay.txt
The log file will show all the events that are happening.

If you got any question, requests or need support, just ask and I'm willing to help.

Most important thing: A big thanks to @scutters who is the 'PinballX Plugin Wizard' and the overal 'FLEXDMD master'.
I used parts of his statistics plugin for this plugin, as I was too lazy to do the initialize of FLEXDMD.
Thanks buddy !

PBXFlexDMD.zip

Edited by Mike_da_Spike
updated to version 1.2
  • Like 1

• Mike_da_Spike changed the title to [PLUGIN] FLEXDMD real DMD video player

If you use the plugin and you see the FLEXDMD plugin initialized on your screen, but you don't see any video's, please check in the above post that you installed the modified FLEXDMD 1.8 with the fixed MP4 encoding .
Seehttps://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=43569&p=511058

This is fixed with FlexDMD 1.9 and higher

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried this plugin and it seems to work great.  My only issue is that when I first launch PinballX, I dont see a dmd displayed.  After I launch a table, quit, and go back to pinballX it back and working until the next restart of pinballX.  I did create that file, but that did not change anything.  I do see your start screen come up when PinballX is loading, so I guess it's working.

Thanks. Log file looks differrent as I expected. I dont see the video that should play. I'm not at a pc now, but will send you my latest version. 

Do you got flex dmd 1.9 from github installed ? Because 1.8 had issues withnplaying video files. I fixed this, but latest version of 1.9 is also working. 

Btw. This plugin is only if you have issues with the buildin xdmd player.

Thanks!  I am running v1.8 of Flexdmd and don't see 1.9 available.  Do you have a link for that?  My dmd is working much better now that Tom made those changes.  I do see it fail if I wait to long before playing a table.  This would rarely happen to me, but figured if you already worked out the fix I would try it.

10 hours ago, chadman said:

Thanks!  I am running v1.8 of Flexdmd and don't see 1.9 available.  Do you have a link for that?  My dmd is working much better now that Tom made those changes.  I do see it fail if I wait to long before playing a table.  This would rarely happen to me, but figured if you already worked out the fix I would try it.

The pre-requisite is to have 1.9 or higher. A good version of 1.9 can be found on githun. You need a (free) subscription to download it :

https://github.com/vbousquet/flexdmd/actions

I will soon change plugin zip in the first post as well. Uploaded version 1.2