All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] PBX Menu Volume Doesn't Seem to Lower with Settings

jimmay3

After 5.43 update, noticed even with Menu Volumes both set to 10% in settings, still very loud, they do turn off with 0%?

Would like to lower, but not with volume button, because that effects the main windows volume, thus effects tables too.

No way to lower menus, without changing main win vol settings.

pbx03.JPG

log.txt PinballX.ini

Just tried on my desktop with v5.43 (32bit) and the volume options appear to work for me.

As the drop down in settings only allows multiples of 10's you could try editing these values manually in the pinballx.ini file to lower values;

[Audio]
StreamVolume=10
SampleVolume=10

note that they will then appear blank in the drop down boxes in settings.

• Like 1

I manually set them to 1 and that works better, can now notice a difference...

Now that I did that, I think I stumbled on the real problem...  Out of 150 tables loaded, there is 7 that no matter what is done to the number, the vol seems always max (unless I enter 0, then all off).  I played the audio files manually via windows and they all seem normal, so???  Maybe I need to redownload new files for these.  Vol was probally working ok, just when cycling thru menu, you hit one of these and they are max.  It appears my audio folder is all mp3's.

Affected tables:  Comet, High Roller, Airborne, Whirlwind, Stargate, Safe Cracker, Rocky & Bullwinkle

You do have the 'sound in videos' option set to yes, so maybe it's one of the videos on those tables.

Would have thought that the stream volume option would affect videos as well though, not sure as i've always had sound in videos set to no and all my videos are muted anyway.

Looking above at my setup file, it does say yes for sound in videos.  So the video sound is overridding the table audio file?  Seems like PBX is not allowing this to be adjusted then, I'll double check these video files for sound, thanks...

Verifed the table video file sound does play at full volume over the table audio file sound for video files with their own audio (most don't have sound, but a few do); thus the only way to adjust their volume is to fully disable them with the play video sounds option or reload a video file without sound.  I did find updated video files without sound for most, but just disabled anyways. 

That seems resolved, but the main audio levels with choices every 10 from 0-100 really only seems to change the level when manually entered 1-10.   Example, I'm not noticing much difference between a 20 and 80.  Would be nicer to just have a manual text entry in the setup utility, cause if I enter 5, it will come up blank when you reopen the setup cause it's not a pulldown option. 

Thanks for the support...

I never use audio in playfield video's (and most of the time my audio in front end is turned off as I play pinball early morning), but was the 20-100 range working better in your previous version ? With other words, should the 0-10 range be multiplied with a factor 10 to let it work correctly ?

If you confirm this, I will add it to the list of bugs (As I think it is a bug , or a not documented feature :D )

Can not confirm prior versions as I always fought the vol levels not understanding how they were all tired in (especially not understanding the above issue with table video sounds overriding really through me off).  I did not originally realize the pbx volume keys were adjusting the main windows vol level and the keys in vpx and vp9 were not directly.

Most users have to play with windows volume, vpx music and game volumes, and amplifier volumes; so getting everything in sync can be a challenge. 

Latest setup, I reassigned pbx volume keys to keys that I can not change via the cab buttons, else it throws my main windows volume off, so basically I'm disabling any changes via pbx, I just have the pbx menu vol set low, as I too play at late or early hours.

VPX and VP9 systems each remember there own levels, so I can quickly crank up or lower the table vols via my cab buttons and it will remember that setting throughout that gaming session for each system. 

10 hours ago, jimmay3 said:

That seems resolved, but the main audio levels with choices every 10 from 0-100 really only seems to change the level when manually entered 1-10.   Example, I'm not noticing much difference between a 20 and 80. 

I can distinguish a significant change in volume on my desktop setup in that range. Might be something to do with a combination of settings on your setup (loudness equalizer enabled or speaker/amp settings?, dunno sorry).

10 hours ago, jimmay3 said:

Would be nicer to just have a manual text entry in the setup utility, cause if I enter 5, it will come up blank when you reopen the setup cause it's not a pulldown option. 

Feature request! ;)

The audio volume settings not affecting the video volume (if enabled) may be a bug though, or it may be by design - would need @Tom Speirs to confirm.

• Like 1

• Draco1962 changed the title to [RESOLVED] PBX Menu Volume Doesn't Seem to Lower with Settings
  • Draco1962 locked this topic