All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Spesoft GameEx Arcade Edition 3.47 Keyboard problem

Ravco

Hi there. Brand new to this gaming so forgive the basics here. Just received a SnapOn Arcade machine that is running GameEx Arcade Edition 3.47 inside a Windows machine. 
Somehow on the remote mini keyboard a key combination was pressed that has disabled the various machine buttons (Coin etc) on the console. Reboot has not alleviated the problem. Is there a simple key combo to disable the keyboard and put the arcade buttons back in function ??  (Versus going into the GameEx configs)

@Ravco, tthurman is referring you to VPCabs support because the option to enable or disable the coin button does not exist within GameEx. If there is some sort of shortcut key to do so, it is related to either your remote keyboard or some other software running on the machine. If you read the manual, VPCabs is the distributor and/or warrantor of the machine.

Within GameEx, the input command setup controls navigation within GameEx, but not for the games. GameEx is an emulator launcher. Once the game is launched, control is passed to the emulator and the settings within the emulator are what dictates how the buttons and joystick will work. If your cabinet is running arcade games, most likely it is using an emulator called MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator). I will mention that there is an option within Mame setup called Free Play (I believe) that will disable the need for coins. After launching a game you can press Tab to enter the Mame Setup and then check the Global parameters. I will also mention that if you are not familiar with configuring Mame, take great care while you are in the Setup. A miskey there can cause a lot of headaches.

Contacting VPCabs really is the best option for correcting your issue.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Reddog!!!  That helps a lot as the problem occurs once a game is launched and not on initial menu / game selection. My bad for not fully understanding the emulator/game separation. Will check out the points you made. Thanks again. Starting from zero this has been helpful ;)

Hi, just wanted to say I don't think this is anything to do with VPCabs. They only use PinballX as far as I know and I think they are hit by supply issues anyway right now.

Perhaps some unauthorised use of GameEx here. I am not aware of SnapOn.

If we want to help - The version of GameEx sounds pretty old to me.

Thanks.

Tom.

Thanks   Problem was found in the Mame setup files. Configuration there only allowed keyboard for launch and coin functions versus the buttons on the console of the game. 

thanks all. Learned a bunch about the platform.   May have to go build my own machine now. Lol

• Draco1962 changed the title to [RESOLVED] Spesoft GameEx Arcade Edition 3.47 Keyboard problem