All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Visual Pinball Wheel Images - Animated Backglass Style

Visual Pinball Wheel Images - Animated Backglass Style

View File

Backglasses are there to attract you to the table, the PinballX wheel serves the same purpose - the wheel images in this pack combine the two, backglass animated wheels

All images are 800*600 as the 4:3 ratio seems to the best general fit amongst the different backglass size ratios and i wanted the size of the image to be consistent so they occupy the same space as each other on screen in PinballX. Over 1000 images in this pack, all in GIF format regardless of whether or not the backglass is actually animated or not (most are). Gif format is limited to 256 colour so file sizes are kept low (>1000 wheels for <300MB :))

Also available to download is a simple full screen underlay image which you can use with the gif images as is, or as a template if you want. To use it make sure you set 'Underlay image type' to 'Fill screen' in PinballX Display Settings and then place the underlay in the PinballX\Media\Images folder (for use as a global underlay) or rename it to match your Visual Pinball system name and place it in PinballX\Media\System Underlays to use as an underlay for one system.

Examples can be see in the previews, and in use look like this using the underlay;

If you have a table with no backglass gif and want to keep everything with the same look and feel then so long as you have a backglass video you can build you own on https://ezgif.com/, or you could just use a static backglass image (as .png or .gif) if you want. Either way i'd recommend keeping to the 4:3 size ratio.

Note for members with GameEx subscriptions - the images have also been uploaded to the FTP (under PinballX\Media\Visual Pinball\Wheel Images). On the FTP they are named as 'tablename[backglass style].gif' for easy identification and file import via PinballX Database Manager.

Thanks - Rajo Joey and other media contributors, i'm not a table collector like some so most of the images in the pack use the content of backglass videos i did not record and i couldn't have made them without theirs. Of course, biggest thanks  to all the Backglass creators @wildman, @hauntfreaks,  Blacksad, @nestorgian, @HiRez00, @stefanaustria@chucky87, @editoy , @32assassin + all the others (sorry if i missed you out, drop me a message and i'll add you!). 

• Like 2

As stated in the main download notes you can fill any gaps in your wheel collection on ezgif , but i found you can get better (easier?) results if don't mind getting your hands dirty and using a command line with ffmpeg

To cut a video and convert to gif using ffmpeg

The basic ffmpeg instruction is something like;

ffmpeg -ss 1 -t 2 -i "inputvideo.mp4" -filter_complex "[0:v] fps=10,scale=800:600:flags=lanczos,mpdecimate,split [a][b];[a] palettegen=stats_mode=full [p];[b][p] paletteuse=bayer:bayer_scale=2:diff_mode=rectangle" -vsync vfr -loop 0 "outputimage.gif"

The bits you are most likely to tweak;

-ss 1 -t 2
Time range to take from the video. Start at 1 and run for 2 secs, so the extract the contents of 1-3 seconds in the video. Try to find short range in the video with a natural loop. You can use fractions of seconds (start at 1.1 stop after 1.8secs etc).
fps=10
FPS used. I think 10 is fine to extract images from a backglass video which is just flashing lamps. If you using pup pack videos this may look jerky and need increasing.
scale=800:600
Output resolution. I'd keep to a 4:3 ratio, so 1000*750, 800*600, 600*450 etc. Bigger resolution is better quality, but larger files.
palettegen=stats_mode=full
This is the stats mode used by ffmpeg to create colour palletes used in the gif. If the gif produced has a lack of colour in same frames (normally in gifs where a large portion of the image changes frame to frame) then you may change this to stats_mode=diff, stats_mode=single or stats_mode=full and retry

The other bits;
mpdecimate & -vsync vfr
Removes duplicate frames keeping timing in sync in the gif.
paletteuse=bayer:bayer_scale=2:diff_mode=rectangle
Helps keep file size down,  using dithering and rectangle diff mode.

You can bulk build gifs using the above info in a batch file like the below (but you'll probably end up rebuilding some gifs again manually to adjust for loops etc);

set FFMPEG="C:\PinballX\ffmpeg.exe"
set InFolder="C:\PinballX\Media\Visual Pinball X\Backglass Videos"
set OutFolder="C:\PinballX\Media\Visual Pinball X\Backglass Videos\Wheels"

if not exist %OutFolder%  mkdir %OutFolder% 

for %%f in (%InFolder%\*) do (

@echo "%OutFolder:"=%\%%~nf.gif"

%FFMPEG% -hide_banner -loglevel error -ss 1 -t 1 -i "%%f" -filter_complex "[0:v] fps=10,scale=800:600:flags=lanczos,mpdecimate,split [a][b];[a] palettegen=stats_mode=full [p];[b][p] paletteuse=dither=bayer:bayer_scale=2:diff_mode=rectangle" -vsync vfr -loop 0 "%OutFolder:"=%\%%~nf.gif" -y

)

If you have made a gif and just want to delete a frame or two then the quickest method i know is with gifsicle , which is also called from the cmd line;

gifsicle --batch "inputgif.gif" --delete "#2-"

--batch 
Batch mode so the same output file is used as the input (it overwrites it)
--delete "#2-"
Delete all frames from and including (gifsicles) frame number 2, note that in gifsicle the first frame is frame 0 (not 1) so frame number 2 is the 3rd frame.
To delete just one frame remove the '-', i.e. to delete the 3rd frame gifsicle --batch "inputgif.gif" --delete "#2"

Gifsicle also offers lossy and non lossy compression options (which can be used with a wildcard to process all gif files in a folder).  More info here - https://linux.die.net/man/1/gifsicle 

If you've read all that and understood it (hopefully) then give it a go, have some fun with it and make sure to share your results!  (especially if you have a better version than in this pack, e.g. different backglass version with better graphics, animated sequence  to replace a static one, etc etc)  :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

Thanks for the explanation.

You mean shamelessly using the forum to backup my notes?! :lol:

2 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

Ffmpeg can do so much, but even with the manual I doesn't understand it !

That's ffmpeg for you, just guess until you get something that works!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, scutters said:

That's ffmpeg for you, just guess until you get something that works!!

Want to extendUntitled.png.473bcf113152d0a6ad68f7b357882c1b.pngfunctionality?
    Try
PinballX Database Manager as a replacement for Game Manager to manage your games and game media (thanks to @Mike_da_Spike)
    Use
Plugins to add features like loading videos by  table, media/music player or high score & stats data display functions

I'm glad I have a very good friend that can help me with the syntax of FFMPEG ;) 
He helped me with multiple projects now (like the loading video tool and all the good things in database manager)
Thanks @scutters ! without your knowledge of FFMPEG , I could not get to this result !

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wheel for the new Batman 66 table using elmigu7's backglass (https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=47203&hl=) rather than the pup pack static image.  Just right click and save image as..

1442252399_Batman66(Stern2016).gif.9b4b7891bec213d599315bab9f4b7aa8.gif

(I'll add it to the main download if i add a few more)

Or you can use @hauntfreaks version of animated backglass for this table which he has already made a gif preview for https://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/6971-batman-66-stern-2016-alt-b2s/,  just use https://ezgif.com/maker to resize that gif to 800*600 for use as a wheel image

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, scutters said:

V1.0.6 posted - now includes the extra images above.

Did you uploaded it to ftp as well ?

The guys from database managers did a good job, to easily upload files as well :cheers:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

Did you uploaded it to ftp as well ?

The guys from database managers did a good job, to easily upload files as well :cheers:

Damn, you got me there Mike :P

I'd best get on it, especially now it's free for all!

Edit - and done!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...