All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Edgar Wright and Julian Slater re-release Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

tthurman

• 2 weeks later...

I'll buy it.

I have adopted the film into the Ready Player universe a spiritual spinoff. I totally get Cline's choice in director, but I think it was a big mistake. I mean, if you had the choice between Steven Spielberg and Edgar Wright who would you choose? I think it was an unfortunate consequence of adulation. It was a technology trap and a missed opportunity. It seems like a movie about virtual reality would lend itself well to CGI, but for me it was the overuse of CGI that killed the RPO illusion. Especially the CGI of main characters!

Scott Pilgram had the perfect mix of live action, CGI, and video game elements I wished RPO would have had.

I just really don't see how it could have been done any differently given how much of the story took place in the OASIS.   I enjoyed the CGI parts of RPO and felt they were done extremely well.

What I didn't like was the changing of the story and the slicing off of so much of the content.  I've said it many times, but it really should have been a two or three part movie with much more effort spent trying to get everyone on board with idea of benefiting from having their respective IP being showcased in the movie.  Let's face it, many of these companies weren't exactly common household  names in 2018 and sill aren't.  Being part of the movie could've catapulted them into the retro craze, but instead they are left on the sidelines.  Ultraman alone could have used it to kick off a new movie, which I'm amazed hasn't been done.  

Ultimately it was the immersiveness of the Ready Player One  story that sucked me in, and the movie had none of that.  

On 5/28/2021 at 7:36 AM, tthurman said:

I just really don't see how it could have been done any differently given how much of the story took place in the OASIS...

If the entire scene is done in CGI, I feel like I'm watching beowulf or Final Fantasy: The spirits within. The OASIS was drawn directly on the retina in the highest perceptible detail. It was nearly impossible to differentiate from reality, visually speaking. So the OASIS should have been live action using props and actual sets, instead of rendering entire segments in CGI. Especially not the actors! NPC and other character in the distance, fine CGI them. Flying elements, fine CGI. But mix in real with the CGI an much as possible, blending with framing and scale to achieve the right balance. Like Jurassic park! Like Scott Pilgram vs. the World.

And yes, the story elements changing was disappointing, but understandable given the movie format. A high production value TV series would be a better fit. My dream scenario would be getting Edgar Wright and his team from SPVW back together with an HBO deal to produce the show true to the book. With a budget similar to that of Game of Thrones, you can afford the necessary CGI, locations, and costumes.

Dream on, right?