All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Light gun questions before purchase.

katuuuz

ok guys, i think it's time to buy a light gun for my cab. (still havn't mounted the marquee or bezeled off the screen and plexi glassed it) so that's why i havn't posted a pic yet. but as far as the gun, i'm using a 27" magnavox tv (US) and am not sure what light gun to get. my tv has 1 video input and it's used up by my s-video to rca chord coming from my video card so i can use the tv for the display. do i need a tv with at least 2 video inputs?? i saw a gun online but it says it needs to plug into a video slot in the tv. any help with this would be appreciated.

ok guys, i think it's time to buy a light gun for my cab. (still havn't mounted the marquee or bezeled off the screen and plexi glassed it) so that's why i havn't posted a pic yet. but as far as the gun, i'm using a 27" magnavox tv (US) and am not sure what light gun to get. my tv has 1 video input and it's used up by my s-video to rca chord coming from my video card so i can use the tv for the display. do i need a tv with at least 2 video inputs?? i saw a gun online but it says it needs to plug into a video slot in the tv. any help with this would be appreciated.

You could buy a guncon gun for ps2. then use a hacked driver for pc support.

How about an lcd topgun? With a 27 inch tv, Im guessing you don't have room for the LED stands between your tv and cabinet sides but it does use just usb. Just a thought.

Jay T

What do you know of this? I don't have a PS2 Guncon, but I do have one that was for PS1. Are the the same? Please help me, I'd love to use what I already have rather than pay money to buy something I don't desperately need. :)

Hi Katuuuz hope your all well :rolleyes: . I have installed the LCD Top gun with no prbs at all it fitts snug next to the 28"

monitor. (JUST)!!!

here a pick of how i fitted it.

hope that helps you to mack a perchase :lol::lol::lol:

edit: just mack shore your USB can put out 5v or you will have problems getting the thing to work.

post-595-1162022575_thumb.jpg

post-595-1162022601_thumb.jpg

post-595-1162022626_thumb.jpg

post-595-1162022646_thumb.jpg

How about an lcd topgun? With a 27 inch tv, Im guessing you don't have room for the LED stands between your tv and cabinet sides but it does use just usb. Just a thought.

Jay T

Update: I bought one of these on-line the other day and I got an email from paypal saying my money was refunded. I wrote EMS/Lik-sang.com to ask why and this is what they said.

I recently purchased an LCDTopgun on the 22nd of October and have been eagerly waiting for it to arrive, but tonight I noticed that my money was refunded to my PayPal account. I am wondering why my money was refunded and what can I do to get an LCDTopgun?

Dear Sir,

sadly, Lik-Sang.com had to close its virtual doors on October 24th of 2006 as a result of multiple legal actions brought against it by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. At the time of writing, you can find information about this happening on http://www.lik-sang.com

As an unfortunate consequence, the email that you sent will not and cannot be read and/or addressed.

As of today, 24 October 2006, Lik-Sang.com will not be in the position to accept any new orders and will cancel and refund all existing orders that have already been placed.

Lik-Sang.com wishes to thank all customers and supporters for everything. It's been a great decade. Thanks to people like yourself. We're going to miss catering to you. It was not up to us whether to continue or to get ousted though.

With warm regards,

All the best!

Lik-Sang.com

Talk about bad luck. Ive been wanting one of these forever and right when I buy one they pull the switch. I don't see an official announcement on their site yet but refunded money is refunded money. If you ever plan to get one of these guns through E-bay or some where else you should go to the EMS website now and download the software as it may not be available for long.

Jay T

What do you know of this? I don't have a PS2 Guncon, but I do have one that was for PS1. Are the the same? Please help me, I'd love to use what I already have rather than pay money to buy something I don't desperately need. :)

Have a look at this website. Might be for the gamer on a budget.

http://xoomer.alice.it/guncon2/

Have a look at this website. Might be for the gamer on a budget.

http://xoomer.alice.it/guncon2/

first thanks to everyone for their input.. ling i think i'd go with the guncon 2 driver/gun since i am on a budget and spent far much more than expected on the cabinet/parts already. i should've been more clear in my initial post, but i was wondering what i needed to make this happen... (example, do i need an svid output, open usb slot, video inputs in the tv?!) i have usb ports open, the only svid slot on my video card is connecting my tv to the pc to act as the monitor, and my tv unfortunately only has the 1 video output (which is connected to the video card). will i still be able to do this?

I've been wrestling with a PS2 Gcon on my 16:9 tv and ATI RGB output. Not had much success with this. I do believe it's because the use of a custom re-fresh rate on my output and the lack of overscan (losing some of the top of my output on the tv) has prevented my setup working.

http://guncon.acornscity.com/ is a good page for reference and how to etc.

I'd love to get my HTPC with Gamex working with a Gcon for some of the lightgun games but it's never going to happen for me. Hope you can get something to work tho!

TX

I've been wrestling with a PS2 Gcon on my 16:9 tv and ATI RGB output. Not had much success with this. I do believe it's because the use of a custom re-fresh rate on my output and the lack of overscan (losing some of the top of my output on the tv) has prevented my setup working.

http://guncon.acornscity.com/ is a good page for reference and how to etc.

I'd love to get my HTPC with Gamex working with a Gcon for some of the lightgun games but it's never going to happen for me. Hope you can get something to work tho!

TX

According to this website (offering WinGun driver), the PS1 GunCon won't work :(. Here's a snippit from their FAQ:

# Can I really use any PS2 lightgun? How about PS1 lightguns?

* You can use any gun which is "guncon2 compatible", and has a USB connector. NOT every PS2 guncon2 compatible gun has these, so check before you buy one. You cannot use Playstation 1 lightguns, mainly because we do not have any way to connect them, but also because the standard they use is different.

correct me if i'm wrong please...

in this picture off the link above, the gun plugs into the xbox (pc in my case by usb?) then from the xbox (video card) to the tv rcas. i was wondering though, that 2nd jack off of the gun, is it plugged into the tv, or the censor strips?

post-915-1162161854_thumb.jpg

correct me if i'm wrong please...

in this picture off the link above, the gun plugs into the xbox (pc in my case by usb?) then from the xbox (video card) to the tv rcas. i was wondering though, that 2nd jack off of the gun, is it plugged into the tv, or the censor strips?

You have should have 1 usb cable going to the led sensors and 1 usb cable going to the gun. If you want to use it there is a third usb cable for the recoil action as this needs its own 5 volts to run. I've heard mixed results about how well the recoil action works however and will probably try it out but not use it permanently. In your picture, the cables on the left are just X-box video cables or in your case a monitor cable (or TV). No special video cables are needed for the LCDTopgun. As for the extra cable on the pigtail that is not plugged into anything I think that would be used for a Playstation 2.

Jay T

moring all.

katuuuz I have the mesurments for you and some pics to help,here you go!! :)

Lenth is 41 cm the whith is 1.5cm depth is 2.5 cm.

now as you can see from the pics, my sencor strips are set back a bit.

as they did not fitt along side the monitor, it works a treet!!

hope that helps some what!!! :lol:

EDIT

the last thing you whant to do is slap them on the side of the cab (plaa) it will look pant's.

take care m8.

rusty.

post-595-1162202721_thumb.jpg

post-595-1162202743_thumb.jpg

post-595-1162202759_thumb.jpg

post-595-1162202779_thumb.jpg

post-595-1162202799_thumb.jpg

post-595-1162202813_thumb.jpg

post-595-1162202827_thumb.jpg

ok gents,

order recieved to play-asia. now it's the good old waiting game. i hope they don't refund my purchase like they did you jt. i will keep you all posted though. thanks again for the awesome help, gotta love gameex forums.

It did work fine befor my PC went titts up :angry:

i'v now got to reinstall everything again, HUFFY PUFF!!! but the LCD Top Gun worked fine.

The only thing is i wish i could get rid of is the cross hirs on the screen??

just waiting for my new graphics card to turn up (radeonX1600pro) hope it will do the trick!! :lol:

It did work fine befor my PC went titts up :angry:

i'v now got to reinstall everything again, HUFFY PUFF!!! but the LCD Top Gun worked fine.

The only thing is i wish i could get rid of is the cross hirs on the screen??

just waiting for my new graphics card to turn up (radeonX1600pro) hope it will do the trick!! :lol:

Sorry to hear about your PC, but thanks for the info. 'Gumshoe', 'Duckhunt', 'Operation Wolf', and 'House of the Dead' here I come!

guys i got the topgun, and it looks and feels great. only if i could hook the damn thing up i'll let you know how it works. ok...

i tried plugging the gun into the usb attatched to the sensors. i try to run the test mode on the gun, and it says insert lcd gun. so i try and plug the sensors into the usb connector that came with it also, plugged it into it's own port, and then plugged the lcd into the cp via usb. "please insert lcd topgun". wtf.

guys i got the topgun, and it looks and feels great. only if i could hook the damn thing up i'll let you know how it works. ok...

i tried plugging the gun into the usb attatched to the sensors. i try to run the test mode on the gun, and it says insert lcd gun. so i try and plug the sensors into the usb connector that came with it also, plugged it into it's own port, and then plugged the lcd into the cp via usb. "please insert lcd topgun". wtf.

Glad to see you got your gun. Haven't got mine yet so I'm not real sure on the wiring. Are you plugging it into a usb hub? Is the hub powered? You might need a powered hub to make it work properly. Like I said, I haven't got mine yet so I'm not sure on the wiring. When I get mine I'll post some pics on my website for people to see how the wires hook-up.

Jay T

Glad to see you got your gun. Haven't got mine yet so I'm not real sure on the wiring. Are you plugging it into a usb hub? Is the hub powered? You might need a powered hub to make it work properly. Like I said, I haven't got mine yet so I'm not sure on the wiring. When I get mine I'll post some pics on my website for people to see how the wires hook-up.

Jay T

ok it finally works, i installed a plugin instead of the driver. PLEASE tell me this isn't JUST for widescreen lcds. i have a regular 27" magnavox, not flat screen, not wide screen. the mouse pointer is well above where i'm aiming, and leaves the screen beforei reach the top. oh no.

ok it finally works, i installed a plugin instead of the driver. PLEASE tell me this isn't JUST for widescreen lcds. i have a regular 27" magnavox, not flat screen, not wide screen. the mouse pointer is well above where i'm aiming, and leaves the screen beforei reach the top. oh no.

No it will work with any screen, thats the beauty of it. CRT, LCD, projector, what have you. ther is a review over at retroblast and the guy that wrote it had some issues setting it up at first also. I think you need to calibrate it somehow with the software it comes with.

Jay T