All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PS5 - Teardown look at the hardware

tthurman

I have to say my first reaction to seeing the console was, "It's Huge. Like, it's really big!"

Then, as I kept watching the tear down, no lie, I teared up a little bit!

It's almost like SONY listened to the complaints about YLOD PS3's and BLOD PS4's. They have finally gotten rid of the stupid Heat spreader and gone with direct contact between heatsink and Die! Now, I have my doubts about liquid metal. In my own experience with the stuff, it dries out after a year and a half and the temps go way up. So unless they have a way to keep it from doing that, I don't really like this move. However, in the short therm it will defiantly be the best thermal contact you can have. And that Heatsink looks SICK! heatpipes and vapor chambers, hell yeah. That fan's a thick boy too!

I just hope that all that heat mitigation isn't absolutely necessary, because there's no room for improvement! I mean, it's not like we can simply replace the thermal paste to improve thermals if the thing runs too hot. I mean, we might have to reapply liquid metal if it dries out, but they went with the best stuff to begin with.

• tthurman changed the title to PS5 - Teardown look at the hardware