All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

purchased wires.

katuuuz

are 6.09m - 4 conductor - 24 gauge - solid wires compatible with wiring cherry switches to an ipac? i had bought the wiring kit from ultimarc with my ipac purchase and ran out of wire, so i went to radio shack and bought 20' of that wire tonight and i'm not gonna open it until i'm sure it will serve it's purpose. thanks.

are 6.09m - 4 conductor - 24 gauge - solid wires compatible with wiring cherry switches to an ipac? i had bought the wiring kit from ultimarc with my ipac purchase and ran out of wire, so i went to radio shack and bought 20' of that wire tonight and i'm not gonna open it until i'm sure it will serve it's purpose. thanks.

Might want to post this on BYOAC forum.

i use standard telephone cable or 5 core alarm cable its alot cheaper when bought on a small drum and works a treat theres no need for such a heavy gauge cable baz out

i use standard telephone cable or 5 core alarm cable its alot cheaper when bought on a small drum and works a treat theres no need for such a heavy gauge cable baz out

but i already purchased this wire because it looked closest to the ones i got from ultimarc. will they work even though there's no need for this heavy a gauge?

I don't have an IPAC, or even a cab with cherry switches. I bought a USB keyboard for like $9 bucks and mapped the key matrix. Then I took a really old hard drive ribbon cable (it used slot connectors instead of the current PIN type for IDE/ATA). I cut the connector ends off and separated the wires from each other. Basically, it gave me about 30 or so wires, all the same length. I then used those for my control panel wiring. So, needless to say, they're pretty cheap, like 5-10 fiber's in each wire, and they work fine. I don't know what kind of cable you bought, but if you say they're heavy gauge, I take that as being like 20 fiber or more. It may be overkill. But then again, I don't have a setup like you and the wire requirements may be different.

I don't have an IPAC, or even a cab with cherry switches. I bought a USB keyboard for like $9 bucks and mapped the key matrix. Then I took a really old hard drive ribbon cable (it used slot connectors instead of the current PIN type for IDE/ATA). I cut the connector ends off and separated the wires from each other. Basically, it gave me about 30 or so wires, all the same length. I then used those for my control panel wiring. So, needless to say, they're pretty cheap, like 5-10 fiber's in each wire, and they work fine. I don't know what kind of cable you bought, but if you say they're heavy gauge, I take that as being like 20 fiber or more. It may be overkill. But then again, I don't have a setup like you and the wire requirements may be different.

Any chance of having a pic of this?

Not really. I'm super ashamed at how retardly ghetto it looks. Plus, I decided to take it apart last week to see about adding a custom spinner. In the process, I broke a few of the button connections and have to rewire. So as it is right now, it's in pieces and there isn't much to look at. :(

sweet. anyone up on wiring coin lights from a molex connector from the pc's power supply? the extension power cable i bought will fit where my cd-rom drive is attatched to the power, will removing the cd-rom screw the cpu up?

Might want to post this on BYOAC forum.

Or at least create One single topic about the building process of your cabinet and post everything related to that process in that same topic. This way, questions about GameEx has a chance of staying on the first page long enough not to annoy the people that post them. This will be simpler for you as well Katuuz, you just have to check that topic every other hour instead of the 20 other ones that you've created. ;) I hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes here, just trying to keep things on a level of sanity. ;)

Emph

sweet. anyone up on wiring coin lights from a molex connector from the pc's power supply? the extension power cable i bought will fit where my cd-rom drive is attatched to the power, will removing the cd-rom screw the cpu up?

I'm sure there's some adapter that you could pick up from a computer shop that split the one connected to your cd to you yet another molex for your coin lights.

Emph

ok, well i've taken some pics, and i'm not sure if this can be done now. what i've decided to do is disable my floppy drive by unplugging the connector. (pic 2). now if i cut these 4 wires off of that mini molex cap is there a way i can insert them into the molex extension i have in pic 1? also, the plug in pic 1 is what i bought, and instead of a yellow and red wire, they are orange and red. i'm guessing yellow is orange in this case.

over all is this duable, or do i have to buy a molex plug with 8 wires (4 coming out) like the plug in my cd-rom drive? do they sell them?

post-915-1160084725_thumb.jpg

post-915-1160084742_thumb.jpg

ok, well i've taken some pics, and i'm not sure if this can be done now. what i've decided to do is disable my floppy drive by unplugging the connector. (pic 2). now if i cut these 4 wires off of that mini molex cap is there a way i can insert them into the molex extension i have in pic 1? also, the plug in pic 1 is what i bought, and instead of a yellow and red wire, they are orange and red. i'm guessing yellow is orange in this case.

over all is this duable, or do i have to buy a molex plug with 8 wires (4 coming out) like the plug in my cd-rom drive? do they sell them?

Here's a pinout for that:

CD_HD.gif

but like TX_TRINITY said, you'd be better off with something like this:

38072.jpg

that's like $3 here in Sweden, shouldn't cost much anywhere in the world. And it's not as unsafe either.

Emph

DID IT. thank the heavens. if anyone is interested, i purchased the Y adapter power cable for a 5 1/4" disk drive. (found near the floppys at radio shack). along with that a 5 1/4" disk drive extension (looks like the y adapter only there's a male and female jack a piece, vs the Y with its 2 male, 1 female. I opened the pc, and unplugged the power cable from the cd-rom drive, and inserted 1 male end of the y adapter. i plugged the cd-rom into the female jack of the adapter, and then plugged the last male into my extension. (i did the extension to make it long enough to come out of the back of my pc). then you take wire, i ended up buying 300v 18 gauge stranded. i stripped about an inch of the plastic off of 2 - 1 foot pieces of wire, twisted the strands, laced one in each of the prongs on the happ coin door bulb and twisted around to keep from coming undone (i guess you can solder, but i'm just riggin it cheaply). one wire (doesn't matter which) is stripped, folded and plugged into one of the black inputs on the power extension coming from the pc. (folding it makes it bulky enough to just squeeze in, no need to crimp in my case). then the other is run to the orange part of the plug because the red must be the 5v in my case, for it was a lot dimmer. hope this helps, i'm gonna fixate to the cab tomorrow and do the final touches. i'm thinking about making a web page with my trials tribulations, and success routes in making this machine happen.

DID IT. thank the heavens. if anyone is interested, i purchased the Y adapter power cable for a 5 1/4" disk drive. (found near the floppys at radio shack). along with that a 5 1/4" disk drive extension (looks like the y adapter only there's a male and female jack a piece, vs the Y with its 2 male, 1 female. I opened the pc, and unplugged the power cable from the cd-rom drive, and inserted 1 male end of the y adapter. i plugged the cd-rom into the female jack of the adapter, and then plugged the last male into my extension. (i did the extension to make it long enough to come out of the back of my pc). then you take wire, i ended up buying 300v 18 gauge stranded. i stripped about an inch of the plastic off of 2 - 1 foot pieces of wire, twisted the strands, laced one in each of the prongs on the happ coin door bulb and twisted around to keep from coming undone (i guess you can solder, but i'm just riggin it cheaply). one wire (doesn't matter which) is stripped, folded and plugged into one of the black inputs on the power extension coming from the pc. (folding it makes it bulky enough to just squeeze in, no need to crimp in my case). then the other is run to the orange part of the plug because the red must be the 5v in my case, for it was a lot dimmer. hope this helps, i'm gonna fixate to the cab tomorrow and do the final touches. i'm thinking about making a web page with my trials tribulations, and success routes in making this machine happen.

Hey katuuuz I just answered your pm on this and checked the forum and saw you got it all sorted out. I thought I sent you a link showing you that splitter/y adapter. In any case, glad you got it figured out. Last but not least you should get some shrink tubing and cover any exposed wire, or use electricians tape just to be safe.

Jay T