All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Sometimes, I hate Windows..

stigzler

How is it that you can have one installation on one PC for years that is rock solid, but on another, it's flaky as...

About a year ago, I installed an SSD on my main cab. I had to start again from scratch, which after 3 years of setting it up, was a big decision. 

Eventually took the plunge and got the installation done. Then with the Creators (?) update, things started to take a twist for the worst. 

It would try updating on my cab and this would fail. I just kept postponing dealing with it by selecting "no" when it (very intrusively) opened up continuously reminding me to install. 

Boy am I paying the price. Thought I'd take it on tonight. Tried updating - error messages all over the place for an update. Tried following m$'s guidance on repairing the updater, failed at second command line. 

Rebooted machine then got stuck in a "Repairing" loop. Then eventually started getting a bsod "inaccessible boot device." Unplugged all other HD's - same error. Tried restore point - failed. Eventually tried Reset - failed. 

So ffs... why is windows so flakey and unreliable. As I say - on my other machine - it's rock solid.

It's looking like I'm going to have to do a fresh install of Windows 10 again... Any ideas or suggestions..?

grrrrrrr

Windows 10 isn't aging graciously IMO, they keep sending out updates that break way to many things.

Use the creation tool and make the most up to date iso  you can, many times MS will have the images updated to include things like the FCU.  I also do my file system repairs against a new ISO, might want to give that a go before you delve into a full blown reinstall.

Damn - that was a nasty one. Tried loads of things before finally stumbled on the answer.

So I changed my bios settings to run my ssd in IDE mode rather than achi and it booted! Then I followed these instructions here:

https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/15006-attn-ssd-owners-enabling-ahci-mode-after-windows-10-installation.html

Then here to ensure all registry settings are correct:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/22631-enable-ahci-windows-8-windows-10-after-installation.html

and all sorted. Phew! Reinstall averted. 

And that is my beef with microsoft. Surely, something so (I'm guessing) commonplace should be detected or predicted by one of their many troubleshooting steps. However, bizarrely, it's not. It's almost like a conspiracy to keep tech peeps in work ;)

As a balance I also repsect m$ for their free software, like visual studio - possibly Mr Gates retaining his original youthful wishes (basic)

1 hour ago, stigzler said:

...So I changed my bios settings to run my ssd in IDE mode rather than achi and it booted!...

Yeah, I've run into that a few times. It's frustrating when an update process is supposed to automate the whole update just to restart to a BSOD. It's ushally an issue with the BIOS/UEFI not correctly assigning the boot drive, or when M$ funks around with AHCI drivers, which my setup relies upon not changing. It got a bunch more complicated when I installed my M.2 SSD, which required a very specific procedure to use as the boot device. So, now that everything is working I dread the day that I ever have to muck around with reinstalling win10. Especially since I upgraded free from 7.

That's why I made and keep an ISO of my boot drive using acronis. I can reload a working image from that if I need to. Truth be told, however, I haven't remade an image in a long time and never fully utilized acronis (Just image backups, not the automatic incremental backups it's capable of). #livingDangerously

Yeah - I note since my fix - it's still throwing an error installing what I think is the creators update. Updates, 100% disk usage and ssds have been the biggest ball aches with windows all along. It's just bonkers that m$ mess up something as fundamental as an update system. 

It's also just been stuck on "Preparing to configure windows" for about 20 minutes now following attempting restart. I really daren't touch it or turn it off. Another bonkers thing about M$ - the lack of any proper error messages or operation status updates. 

Yup, it's best to leave for a couple of hours when you think it may be stuck. Thoes progress bars can be madining. GameEx too when you update MAME list will get stuck at like 55%, but eventually finish. Patience is key, but shizz goes wrong so often what do they expect us to do.

My biggest gripe with M$ is they keep filling up the windows update folder (WinSXS). It gets so large over time that windows then complains my hard drive space is running out and to try using their cleaner. Then when I do it only saves like 200MB. What a crock of $hizz, M$ filled my perfectly large enough SSD with useless update information and then has the gall to blame me. I read somewhere how you can safely delete some of these without it screwing up your computer (Some are old and unnecessary, but huge. Others are needed and will brick your installation). I did it and it worked, cleared like 15GB of worthless update bloat, but I don't remember how anymore.