All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Question on using mismatched .ini and .dat files for Mame

RedDog

I've not been able to find an answer to this, so I thought I would throw it out here.

When using ini and dat files with Mame, is it bad or no big deal to use versions newer than the Mame version? For example, if I have Mame 0139 and can only find Mameinfo.dat of 0156, would this be generally considered safe or would it cause problems?

What about other files like command.dat, mame.dat, history.dat, catver.ini, nplayers.ini, controls.ini?

I assume that for the most part using a later version is ok since these don't actually contain any configuration data (except perhaps mame.dat or mameinfo.dat).

This is also related to a 139 Mame set I am trying to validate after updating from 138 to 139 using clrMamePro (I think I have that program figured out). I am trying to also rule out suspects there.

I have always read that like romsets, it is always best practice to have the versions match. 

Perhaps one of the best explanations I've found.  So you can see how 0.156 couldn't possibly be accurate for a 0.1398 set. 

How this plays out in the real world?  My guess is it's much more important to exact match of the exe to the romset, but all the components as whole being based off the same version, will yield the best results.

Edited by tthurman

That's generally how I have played it as well, but it appears that sites are not archiving older support files. The closest may very well be the best one can hope for.

I am trying to find a mameinfo.dat for 0139 and came up totally empty. I also did not find many of the support files for that version.

Running later versions of those files will not ruin your MAME or ROMs, IF we are only talking about frontend usage.

If we are talking about auditing however, then yeah, you really only want to use the correct versions (like for like) of those files. Otherwise you can, and probably will destroy your romset. This is why you see so many of us repeat ourselves over and over again, that even if you are thinking of manipulating your romset, then make a copy first. If you destroy a copy, no tears ;)

But if you strictly are talking about a database driven, query type of environment where these files are not altered at all (like GameEx) the only consequence really, is that some information will be incorrect, some command(line)s might be outdated, and some roms won't show up in the official list. But nothing will happen to your MAME.exe or your roms using GameEx :)

EDIT - And if it's your MAME version versus your rom version that you are worried about, the worst that can happen is your MAME won't run them. That's another reason why we say "make sure your MAME matches your romset" over and over again :P

@DazzleHP Oh my goodness yes, copy, copy, copy anything you intend to make changes on...and then make 100% sure the results are what you want before deleting the originals.

I just started tinkering with clrMamePro and RomVault which only utilize the mame.dat and the sample files...and do NEED to be the appropriate version. My question here was mostly focusing on the other support files. For example:
- catver.ini: provides game category information
- nplayers.ini: provides GameEx with a list of MAME multiplayer Simultaneous games
- history.dat: provides game description information
- mameinfo.dat: provides game recommended games information
- command.dat: provides game moves and commands information
- controls.ini: for control Panel viewer, and MODE switching

My guess is that if you can't find the EXACT version of these support files, getting a later version would probably work fine, although getting a version closer to the Mame version would be better. Again, that's me guessing which is why I threw the question out there.  :)   There may be no definitive answer here due to the nature of the hobby.

Damn, i was hoping your line of questioning was innocent and we could wrap this up quick, but nope, it's you @RedDog and i somehow knew that a layman wouldn't ask such a question. DAMMIT! :D

Then to answer your question, you absolutely need the right versions of those files. clrMamePro will use them with extreme prejudice. It does not care where you are from, the color of your skin or your religious beliefs, it will destroy. Know that! It will also treat you so kind if you know how to treat it :P

I could give you many links right now, but i think you know where this going don't you ;)

Only advice i can give is - match your MAME to your ROMSET, not the other way round.

GL.

Daz.