All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Which Browser do you use?

tthurman

Browser Poll  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What is your primary browser?

• Chrome
    • Edge
    • Firefox
    • Internet Explorer
    • Opera
    • Safari
    • Other

I stumbled across a browser privacy thread (isn't that an oxymoron:rolleyes:) the other night, that peaked my interest.  Anyway it prompted me to do a bit of searching.

Naturally many of these come as no surprise, just seems to vary by placement.

Firefox has been my go to browser for  years, and while I was slow to accept Chrome, Adultery finally spoke highly enough about it long enough to convince me to give it a go.  That said I get about equal usage between FF and Chrome these days.

Regardless it did peak my interest enough to go back and give Opera another try after all these years.  All I can say is man has Opera gotten fast.  Some aspects of it have always just not been exactly to my liking, but I figure I'll give myself some time to acclimate to it before forming any concrete opinions.

IE is (or was) broken, it stopped working and forced me to chrome. Chrome seems like a privacy trap, I have since completely abandoned it. I feel like Firefox is the safest in terms of built in privacy protection. Especially after installing Ghostery to block trackers and setting my home page and default search engine to DuckDuckGo.com (Which doesnt track searches). I have gotten used to DuckDuckGo and it works very good, maybe not as good as google, but I rarely need to search google to find anything DuckDuckGo can't find. This combo works well for me.

I HATE edge. The only thing I like about it is that you can pin bookmarks to your start page. That is cool, but otherwise I'm scared of it. Privacy concerns.

+1 for Firefox.  I originally used Netscape Navigator (wow I'm old), then moved on to Internet Explorer.  Then I decided to try something newer/different and gave Mozilla's collection of software a try (where you could get Navigator for web, Communicator for Email, and ChatZilla for IRC all in one).  Then there were some issues, and I knew I could always trust Microsoft's brand (at the time) and would often times switch back to IE.  Then Mozilla came out with FireFox, and it's been my browser of choice ever since.  On my cellphone, it came with Safari, which I didn't really like so I installed FireFox for that.  My tablet came with Chrome (it's an android), and I like it to a point, but I find it lacking in some areas, so I installed FireFox along side so I could swap as needed.

EDIT

Spoiler

Ok, if you REALLY wanna know..  I started out with Telix.  It supported ANSI and was good for BBS's around where I lived.  Then the "internet" was created (no thanks to you Mr. Vice President Al Gore regardless of what you or other people say).  2 of our local BBS's were interconnected with the Library of Congress, which would allow you to visit other connected BBS's throughout the world.  Our own local ISP still operated in text, so it was still all Telix.  Then the "world wide web" launched, basically giving you images along side of the text, which made it all pretty.  I honestly don't remember what browser I used then.  I had to use a special hack program (due to our text only ISP) that "emulated" a true WWW experience by interpreting the text and wherever there was a [image] tag in the text, it would actually display that rather than those words.  Our very first true WWW experience came with MSN and Internet Explorer.  Then came Netscape, with the ability to not get locked into Microsoft's ever growing monopoly of software.  I think the sudden realization from marketers that they could advertise on the WWW is what made me change over to IE again because they actually caused Netscape to crash.  I remember a free WWW without ads if you believe it!  Of course, there wasn't much to see or do.  But once marketing started happening, things got really busy, really fast, and the world has changed.  Now a large majority of the world uses the WWW, and nobody even thinks twice about it.  But I remember a time going into Telix and manually typing out my modem init strings before connecting the dialup so I could browse in text.  Good times.

Well you have me beat. I only go back as far as NN myself. I got me in some Mech Warrior 2 on our Win 95 machine, when I wasn't playing sim city...lol.. "Man, I can write like 7000 papers, this thing is totally worth $1500." 4GB HDD, 800MHz processor, those were the days huh?

• Like 1