All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Xbox one controller issues

meshflesh

Hi Im having trouble with  setting up xbox one controller for gameex. 

My 360 controller worked perfectly. But the xb1 controller is acting inconsistently within Gameex.

When I set custom menu input controls...they work for a little while..but then they go back to default controls  after I restart Gameex. 

And also ,my custom "Global exit" joy input isnt working when I set it to the xb1 controller.  i tried various key combinations. and none are working. (yes, custom input is enabled)

I saw other threads with people having similar problems. But no definitive solutions have been posted as of yet,

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks very much for this wonderful software

Hi meshflesh, I understand you are having some issues with your xbox one controller, but please try to avoid posting repeated threads about the same topic.  :)

Much as it was the case with the 360 controller, it took a bit of time before the controllers driver was compatible among all windows applications.  If your could provide your gameex ini and log, it could possibly provide the devs with some insight to look into the problem you are describing.  If you need help locating these files, please see the links in my signature.

I have two Xbox One Controlers that I use with the wireless receiver on a Windows 7 machine and use corded on another Windows 7 machine. There have only been a few times where both were used at the same time on the wireless machine, but they worked fine once they were set up. I have my global exit set to a 6 button combination and it has always worked as well. Overall, I have been pretty happy with them inside and outside GameEx.

I do recall an issue a while back where the Xbox One drivers were not working so fantastic. You might want to see if you can find a manual installation or check if your Windows install is up to date. That may help your Player 1/Player 2 issue you mentioned in the other thread.

Like the oh-so-wise tthurman mentioned, being able to see your gameex.ini and log.txt file for discussing GameEx would be helpful. It is a bit odd that part of the GameEx.ini file is defaulting back.

Bottom line is, Xbox one controllers will not work before W8.1. In fact it is not guaranteed to work till W10.

Xbox One controllers have never been guaranteed, if you want a sure thing, 360's are your best  bet .

They work with EVERYTHING :P

21 minutes ago, DazzleHP said:

Bottom line is, Xbox one controllers will not work before W8.1. In fact it is not guaranteed to work till W10.

Xbox One controllers have never been guaranteed, if you want a sure thing, 360's are your best  bet .

They work with EVERYTHING :P

I have windows 10 And im having issues.

And reddogg was able to get the xb1 controller workingbon windows 7. So the jury is still out on that 1. 

Yea..i agree.. Xbox 360 controllers just syraight up work!

@meshflesh So I did some testing with my two controllers and found some unexpected behavior when they are plugged and unplugged. Since I am on Windows 7 and you are on Windows 10, you may want to do some of the same tests as well. My bet is that they will act the same, but who knows. Either way, maybe it will explain some things for you.

I plugged my Blue controller in first and tested it with GameEx and Mame161 and in both cases it called it Controller1. I then plugged in the Green controller and tested it in both and it registered as Controller2.

I then unplugged the Blue(Controller1) while in GameEx and retested Green. It was now acting as Controller1. I did the same test in Mame and and it did the same thing. The Green changed from Controller2 to Controller1 as soon as Blue was unplugged...but of course, the key assignments set to Controller2 in Mame were unchanged. I am not sure how to prove it, but I would think that Windows7 is doing the reassigning and GameEx is just allowing whatever Windows does.

Then, after removing the Blue controller and letting GameEx/Mame change the remaining controller from Controller1 to Controller2, I plugged Blue back in and tested. GameEx handled it just fine. The Green controller went back to being Controller2 and Blue became Controller1 again. However, Mame did not recognize Blue being plugged back in, so nothing changed. So, you must have your controllers plugged in before launching Mame.

Your Global Exit is similar to mine. Mine is pressing both sticks and both shoulder buttons. Again, I did not find any problems testing it.

One thing I was not able to replicate was GameEx losing it's input config (ie custominput.ini). Even if you manually delete custominput.ini, GamEx will only create a new file when one or more keys/buttons are set up...and it is not the same as the original default file as the file remarks are missing in the new file. The only thing I could think of was that it might be due to unplugging and plugging in gamepads, but I still cannot think of how GameEx would be impacted to do this.

Perhaps you can do some testing on your own to see if you can come up with some steps to replicate the issue with the config resetting...or you maybe you can give some further feedback on things that you may have done just before the gamepads stopped working (such as moving gamepads port ot port, setting up software, GameEX update, etc, etc). Hopefully some of what I learned will help in some way. I found it helpful since I tend to unplug controllers when they are not in use.

Oh, and by the way, I did check the Microsoft website and the Xbox One controllers are supported for Windows 7 and above.   ;)  

• Like 3

Thank you for looking into this reddog!!

Ok so to clarify. When my xbox 1 input settings go back to default. What i observe in the settings is that the "custom input" box becomes unchecked By itself . But all my controls settings are still present. This happens consistently whenever i use an xb1 conteoller + wireless adapter. 

Regarding 2 controllers... I will try using one wired loke you said to see if it makes amy difference.

I have a theory that the Xbox 1controller is doing this due to Windows 10. 

@reddog , you have windows 7 and arent experiencing as many glitches. 

Im going to make an extra partition on my hard drive for windows 7. And do some mpre xb1 controller experimentation.

Thanks for all the help. Worse case scenario...ill keep my xb1 controllers in the dRawer until all the kinks are ironed out. 

I have ps3 controllers that emulate xinput perfectly. 

@meshflesh I know you have essentially tabled the controllers for now, but I thought I would do some more testing since I do have the wireless receiver.

I put the receiver on my main PC that I normally only do wired controllers...and I am pretty darned convinced that there are some issues with the XboxOne Receiver drivers or a conflict between those drivers and other gmaepad drivers.

One thing I did not realize before was that when the receiver is used the gamepads will not show up as their own hardware in the Devices & Printers. Instead, the XBox Receiver is 'controlling' all of the XboxOne wireless controllers. When wired, windows treated them as separate gamepads and I think that is the reason why those operate correctly (much like the Xbox360 gamepads).

I also found some inconsistencies when connecting the controllers wirelessly. For instance, after installing the receiver I initally set up Button1 (A) as Select in the GameEx Setup Wizard. I also confirmed that Button1 on the controller was indeed Button1 in the Device Properties of the Gamepad (under the receiver); but when I used the controller in GameEx, Select was assigned to Button 2 (B). When I exited GameEx and unplugged the receiver and connected the gamepad via USB, it did the same thing. I then removed the controller, rebooted, plugged the controller back in via USB, and Select worked on Button1 (A) as GameEx is configured. Then, I unplugged the USB on the controller, plugged in the receiver again, and connected the same controller wirelessly...and Select was Button1 (A) for the USB and Wireless. So this time it was working right with no real change on my part.

I originally set up my other PC (my MediaPC/CouchPotatoBox) via USB, added wireless later, and setup GameEx. Since then, I haven't changed anything except to connect and disconnect controllers wirelessly. Maybe I have just been luckier than you or maybe Windows10 has some issues with the drivers that Windows7 does not have.

Sadly, it still does not explain the wiping of the CustomInput.ini file. However, if you do decide to set those up again, you might consider setting that file to read only once you have it set up. GameEx and the SetupWizard will not crash. It's not a perfect solution, but it would work for until you or someone else comes up with a way to replicate the issue.

Thanks again for following up Reddog!

From what I observe,,the custon.ini file does not wipe. Instead what happens is...The checkbox for custom inputs becomes unchecked witrhin the gameex configuration menu. By itself. But all my custom settings are still there. This only happens when I connect two wreless controllers xb1 controllers. And I have to manually tick the checkbox to get it working again.

On a side note tho, I have tried another Frontend called "Launchbox" and use retroarch cores with it.  And the Xb1 controllers work flawlessly with that combination. Its a joy.

Retroarch recognizes each controller and sets the controls instantly. truly plug and play. Everythings works.

I know I committed adultery with another frontend hee hee. But Gameex is still my Go-to for mame I must say. Nobody does mame better than GAMEEX.