All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[ATTN TOM] Pinball Arcade GUI Change

Drybonz

OK, got the grids figured out and it works. Since I have to run DX11 with dmdext.exe to use my pinDMD v3 I will just launch via scripts externally. I know PBA has been a real PITA for you and we appreciate the effort. I do have FX2, Future and Visual running great.

Many Thanks,

Harry

• 3 weeks later...

Hi hlr53, anyway you could share your scripts to show how you are getting TPA to select the right tables?  

For the life of me I can't get it working with my setup.  I tried to a startup script from ginsonic that was posted a while ago but can't seem to get it work - gets all the way to start screen of TPA and you can hear 'clicks' but doesn't do anything.  I'd be interested in seeing what you came up with before I go roll my own.  Besides launching from PinballX, I also want to launch the NoEx Free CameraMod and DMDext as well but first things first.

I used what Tom built into PBX. I only tested the first few rows. However, I could not get it to call up the DX11 version which is what I need to use my pinDMD3. Plus, the PBX scripting was very slow in table selection. Problem is Far Sight built the new interface code mainly for mobile touchscreen use. (Their Stern launch has been an epic fail. Just unbelievable! It's not like they don't have good programmers. Just lousy leadership and project management).

I've put PBA on the back burner for now because I've been concentrating on adding FP and VPX tables.

I tried adding PBA as a custom entry but it loads all the tables to the wheel menu, even without giving it a tables path. Perhaps, someone can tell me how to stop that? I just want it to call PBA DX11 and I will do table selection inside it.

I haven't had time to try out the CameraMod yet.

On 1/6/2017 at 6:37 AM, hlr53 said:

I used what Tom built into PBX. I only tested the first few rows. However, I could not get it to call up the DX11 version which is what I need to use my pinDMD3. Plus, the PBX scripting was very slow in table selection. Problem is Far Sight built the new interface code mainly for mobile touchscreen use. (Their Stern launch has been an epic fail. Just unbelievable! It's not like they don't have good programmers. Just lousy leadership and project management).

I've put PBA on the back burner for now because I've been concentrating on adding FP and VPX tables.

I tried adding PBA as a custom entry but it loads all the tables to the wheel menu, even without giving it a tables path. Perhaps, someone can tell me how to stop that? I just want it to call PBA DX11 and I will do table selection inside it.

I haven't had time to try out the CameraMod yet.

CameraMod is awesome for those with cabinets, requires PBA DX11 unfortunately.  And then PBX can't really launch the table correctly.  And it takes a long time to select the wrong table.

Such a shame that Pinball Arcade won't support cabinet configurations better.

hi chaps, i am doing my nut in with this pinballx to pinball arcade setup, steam updates pinball arcade and breaks the freecam mod which i have managed to get around but now i am having issues with the table selection ahk that runs in the pinballx.exe, i have tried 2 pcs and it keeps selecting the wrong tables, is there any tips you guys have found to getting this to work ? i have even tried setting to grid position 1x1 and hoping it selects my first table in the alphabetical list but it runs off and picks 1 x 3 or 2 x 3 so i.e 3rd row down and 1st or 2nd column, i dont understand why its doing too many keypresses 

can you explain how the ahk works and what affect the wait for and table delay has on the ahk ? if i can just get one table loading that i wanted selected from the grid position i set in game manager i might be on my way lol

my pinball arcade.xml is really basic as i only have 1 TBA table that i am trying to get working before i move onto adding all my owned tables hehe

<menu>
    <game name="TAttackFromMars_Enums">
        <description>Attack from Mars</description>
        <rom></rom>
        <manufacturer></manufacturer>
        <year></year>
        <type></type>
        <hidedmd>True</hidedmd>
        <hidebackglass>True</hidebackglass>
        <enabled>True</enabled>
        <rating>0</rating>
        <gridposition>1x1</gridposition>
    </game>
</menu>

still no command line support from farsight is frustrating especially when my pinballx isnt playing ball like some people of obv got it all working :)

btw i did notice the dx11 version of the pinballarcade works better than the dx9 version for receiving the keypresses for me.

let me know

Cheers

Steve

1 hour ago, bduncan said:

Such a shame that Pinball Arcade won't support cabinet configurations better.

Well, they will if you are Arcooda Pinball in Australia and build your cabinets with 42" LCD touchscreen displays. Why you would want to slop up your display with fingerprints is baffling to me? Bad enough keeping my iPhone clean.

Arcooda Pinball

When I get a chance I will have to install CameraMod.

Ok i have had a play and would like to remove the script as i have come up with a work around for me, may not to everyones taste but is there a way to block remove the autohotkey script ? i have already deleted PFX2_Borderless as this seems to run a script yet still it runs and actually interferes with my workaround LOL

any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

37 minutes ago, leggless2001 said:

Ok i have had a play and would like to remove the script as i have come up with a work around for me, may not to everyones taste but is there a way to block remove the autohotkey script ? i have already deleted PFX2_Borderless as this seems to run a script yet still it runs and actually interferes with my workaround LOL

any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Not sure what the PFX2_Borderless has to do with Pinball Arcade, for which this thread was opened? Did you mean to post in a Pinball FX2 thread? Otherwise, you can run Pinball Arcade as a separate emulator rather than use the integrated support.

31 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

Not sure what the PFX2_Borderless has to do with Pinball Arcade, for which this thread was opened? Did you mean to post in a Pinball FX2 thread? Otherwise, you can run Pinball Arcade as a separate emulator rather than use the integrated support.

no draco, its regarding the pinball arcade script that was changed and the embedded autohotkey script that runs when you fire up a pinball arcade table from pinballx

PBFX2_Borderless is a file thats used in this process i am sure and its part of pinballx, if you manage to get to windows and right click the systray icon for it, it mentions scripts so hence why i believe this was being used to emulate keys etc...

i just want to turn off the script so i was hoping there is a configuration change in the ini that will acheive this pls ?

Cheers
Steve

pbfx.JPG

Can I get a screenshot of settings people are using to get TPA to work in PBX. Mine are attached. I use TPAFreeCamMod and DX11. I can get PBX to launch TPA DX9. But tried the following to get DX11.

Have PBX Launch TPAFreeCamMod before launching TPA through stream -  TPA doesn't launch at all
Have PBX Launch TPAFreeCamMod which directly launches TPA DX11 (TPAFreeCamMod settings.ini) - Get "Game Allow" error that I heard you can't get around anymore even with Admin rights and UAC turned off.
Rename PinballArcade.exe to something else, then rename PinballArcade11.exe to PinballArcade.exe, use steam default settings for TPA - Nothing launches.

My default screenshot attached. Can I see a screenshot of someone's that is working please and if I need to rename files.

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 11.47.03 AM.png

7 hours ago, guypin said:

This worked for me. Originally was having problems because I had to have steam verify cache files for Pinball arcade, a file was messed up. Thank you.

So when you say this worked for you, what exactly does that mean as far as time lengths go?  I have no idea what to expect, but my experience with PinballX with the freecam mod with PBA direct X 11 version, is it takes pinballx from when you select a game around 40 seconds before it is finally sitting on the game list menu in PBA and it has attempted to select the game you chose in pinballx (wrong game for me every time it would seem)

Is that to be expected?

Thanks Carny works a treat that suggestion :)

basically am just happy with running Pinball Arcade from the gui but changing the tables from within pinball arcade with xpadded converting the joystick to mouse so that the user can change the table within the pinball arcade from end, no drama`s happy with that. 

Perhaps pinballx will work with PA better on another machine and select the tables, if not at least i have a solution.

thanks for your replies...

Cheers

Steve

I haven't played around too much with "Wait for" and "table select delay", but yet I would say it takes about 30 seconds or so before I click on a TPA table in PinballX and it finally loads. This is mostly because it has to use the grid function to click through the menus and select the proper table. FX2 use to be like this years ago, but now you launch FX2 directly. As far as I understand it Farsight has yet to embrace the pinball cabinet community for TPA for things like cabinet mode, front end system launching (pinballx) or directoutput feedback capabilities. Real bummer.

Yeah I have seen the request that go back years, I have also seen the discussion how previous methods of game selection broke when they changed the UI at some point.

Anyone know with the previous UI of PinballArcade, was it quicker/better at selecting tables?

Given the fact that the makers of Pinball FX 2 want proof your a hobbyist before they allow cabinet mode, any chance the makers of PBA are not giving the support to avoid certain parties trying to do things with the product they don't want?

34 minutes ago, bduncan said:

Anyone know with the previous UI of PinballArcade, was it quicker/better at selecting tables?

It wasn't perfect, but it was worlds away better. 

34 minutes ago, bduncan said:

Given the fact that the makers of Pinball FX 2 want proof your a hobbyist before they allow cabinet mode, any chance the makers of PBA are not giving the support to avoid certain parties trying to do things with the product they don't want?

According to one of the Farsight wonks, it was because of licensing agreements with the various manufacturers that they are recreating the tables. If that is the case, then why not just say "We can't provide cabinet or command line support because..." instead of outright lying?

As a general rule, we stay away from discussions that involve hacking the functionality of the application.

That said,  if using AutoHotKey mods or a frontend to perform the actions taken normally by the  person via mouse and/or key presses, that is ok as it doesn't involve hacking into the application's code and making a change.

Ahh OK, glad I asked then.  Without crossing that line, it does look like they are doing this on purpose, and I hope there are more hobbyists as we move forward demanding this functionality and they change that in the future.