All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Machine Says....

Mame Offender

If you displayed the top ten list for your cabinet, what would it look like?

Here's mine. Actually , I will include a tidbit for every game on the list.

1. Rygar.  Hours and hours of play.  This one had me from Rahhh!!Rahhh!!

2. DoDonPachi - So far, the best manic shooter that I have ever came across.  Brilliant game with endless entertainment behind its flawless design.

3.  Donkey Kong - Everyone knows about it, everyone plays it, very few are talented enough to master.  The beat thing about DK is the randomness of the enemies.  

4.  Cyvern - A manic shooter with absolutely gorgeous graphics and smooth animation.  I love how the projectiles come in not only so many different shapes and sizes, but also so many different speeds.  It has it all this one.

5.  Raiden - A revolutionary vertical shooter that was challenging everyone who tried it.  Known to have an unfair "hitbox", the enemies get a shot at you even when you are maxed out on a weapon.  The programmer just adds amount of hits to destroy to allow them to take a shot at you.

6. Ms. pacman - Hours and hours spent on this one at any venue you can think of: Roller Rinks, Ice Cream Parlour, Coffee Shop(s), Laundromat(s), etc.

7.  Strikers 1945 - This one knocked my socks off right away.  It contains an " all business" approach, wasting little time on animation and storyline and allows you to skip if you can't wait to get into the action.  Nothing sucks about this one, nothing.

8.  1944 : The Loop Master - Oh boy.  You take a ride on a learning curve with this one, what a blast this one can be.  The music and sound effects are fantastic to say the least, all while keeping the gameplay really tough but not impossible .

9.  Centipede - a chick helped make this one ma y years back.  Many different strategies can be used.  

10.  Pacman (on here because my daughter loves it).

Chime in if you have a minute, I would love to hear from the other gamers.

M.O.

• Like 2

Sounds like fun!  :) Are you looking for a top ten MAME or a top ten total in GameEx? 

GAMEEX

1. Star Trek the Next Generation (via Visual Pinball)
  2. Hangman (via Fairchild Channel F)
  3. Galaga (via MAME)
  4. Final Fantasy Origins (via PSX)
  5. Tetris: The Grand Master (via MAME)
  6. Super Mario 64 (via Nintendo 64)
  7. Super Mario World (via Super Nintendo)
  8. Metal Slug - Super Vehicle-001 (via MAME)
  9. Donkey Kong (via MAME)
  10. Centipede (via MAME)

MAME

1. Galaga
  2. Tetris: The Grand Master
  3. Metal Slug - Super Vehicle-001
  4. Donkey Kong
  5. Centipede
  6. Mario Bros.
  7. Joust
  8. Tapper
  9. Shinobi
  10. Cleopatra Fortune

Honestly, I don't play much MAME other than for our competition.  There are so many games out there, it's hard to find ones I like that aren't popular to begin with.  That's why my 10th one is actually some random game I found and actually liked so I've played it multiple times.  I'm actually surprised I've played it more than the other games in our competition.

These lists often change for me over time as MAME has introduced me to titles I missed.  Still, I love this thread topic, because often times it exposes a game I'm unfamiliar with.

The Star Wars and Empire are at the top of my list, which I'm sure comes as no surprise. 

Donkey Kong (I grew up on this series, and I like Jr too)

Ms Pac is a favorite I often return to

Joust

Tempest

Q-Bert

Burger Time

Mr Do / Dig Dug

Would be cool to see old classics re-imagined into modern equivalents......

This is a tough topic to try to respond to... My top 10 favorites (in no particular order):

MAME

1. World Class Bowling
    It's one of those games you can get together with just about anyone to play. When people come by, this is what they want to play. Just plain fun.
  2. Dig Dug
    I grew up on this and I still love playing it. Sure, it's not the hardest arcade game out there, but I can pick it up and play it for hours. It never gets old. :)
  3. Galaga '88
    Maybe a bit more controversial that I would pick this one over Galaga, but the game play is basically the same with the addition of boss battles and a better soundtrack.
  4. Frogger
    Another one that I would wait in line to play for hours, this was hot then and it still holds it down today.
  5. Cyvern
    You can't argue with this one... It's everything a SHMUP should be. Wonderful graphics, awesome soundtrack, intense gameplay... 100% satisfying all the way to the last life. I remember when it was recommended to me here on GameEx, never played it before that (I think it was @DazzleHP who turned me on to it actually).
  6. Metal Slug
    Oh the amount of quarters I spent on this... I remember when this first hit the Neo-Geo machine at our local bowling alley. I saved up for years to buy a Neo-Geo console for this one... And I never actually made enough to buy one. Sadness.
  7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    My friend Dave and I loved on this machine... It got to the point where we could beat the entire thing on less than $5. It was cool that four people could play at once, so there was rarely a line at this machine. Don't get me wrong, X-Men and The Simpsons were great too, but this one was always #1 in my book.
  8. Journey
    I would call this one a guilty pleasure. Sure, it got slashed by critics and it was lousy, but our local pizza joint had four machines and this was the best of them. Most people gravitated towards the Donkey Kong cocktail or Food Fight, but not me!
  9. Tron
    We had a convenience store that had a Ms. Pacman and a Tron machine. Every week I'd ride my bike down there with my weekly allowance and get a fountain soda, then the rest of my money went to Tron. It sucked that it was set to 50c, but I dropped all my quarters in anyway. :)
    I've never been able to emulate it right, so I think I may just buy it as a dedicated cab someday. It would be worth every inch of the the footpront in my cave!
  10. NBA Jam
    In the Wisconsin Dells, I worked at a waterpark during my teen years called Family Land that had an arcade. I spent a lot more than I'd like to admit on this one... They would let us play after the park closed and we had some pretty epic 4-player battles over root beer floats (which were really just root beer mixed with Miller Lite).

Console/PC (GameEx)

1. The Pinball Arcade (Steam)
    This one has a lot of the pins I loved to play growing up... I still mostly spend my time playing Funhouse, Whirlwind, Addams Family and Twilight Zone. If they could get Millionaire or Tommy on it, I would be ecstatic!
  2. Road Rash (Sega Genesis)
    I play this game all the time! Nothing more satisfying than the sound of sinking a chain or a crowbar into someone's midsection... Except Natasha! Half the fun is trying not to piss her off!!
  3. Super Mario World (Super Nintendo)
    And not just the official version, I also love to play the fan mods. It was ahead of its time and it still holds its own as a crowd favorite.
  4. Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)
    If you've never played this, you should! Great little platformer with lots of strategy. It's definitely right up there with all the other Kirby games.
  5. Double Dragon Neon (Steam)
    I would have never thought it would be possible to reboot this franchise, but this remake gets it done. Worth the $10 no doubt.
  6. PaRappa The Rapper/Um Jammer Lammy (PSX)
    I put them both here because they're both pretty much the same idea, and both are equally awesome for different reasons. I remember that feeling of f*ck yeah after I beat PaRappa the first time even though it was uber short. What a great game!
  7. Kung Fu (NES)
    A true classic! The arcade version was way too hard. This one was just right. Lots of hours spent mastering this one!
  8. Enduro (Atari 2600)
    Yeah, it was basic and there was only one sound effect. But that fog level? LOVED IT!
  9. Mario Golf (Nintendo 64)
    When I had this cart, I bought an imported GameBoy cart reader so that I could use my GameBoy character when I played. My friends were so jealous! We used to sit up and have quarters tournaments... I miss them days!
  10. House of the Dead (Sega Dreamcast)
    What a wonderful FPS! I remember how it blew my mind when it came out, and it still plays great today. When I got the lightgun for DC, it was even cooler! What a hard mofo to beat though!

This list could have literally gone on for another 50 games... These experiences were tied in so tightly to my best memories that I could probably go on forever. :)