All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEX showing mvsc2 ZIP contents rather than launching rom

Forty0ztoFreedom

I'm at a loss. I'm trying to play Marvel vs Capcom 2 with the latest build of Demul. All other games I've tried launch within GameEX, and Marvel vs Capcom 2 launches from Demul outside of GameEX. But in GameEx, this one game that I really want to play, refuses to launch. It brings me to a list of the contents within mvsc2.zip (with the title of the game greyed out). I've attempted multiple zips, downloaded from various sites. GameEX does the same thing every time. Its as if ANY zip named "mvsc2.zip" will be looked at as an unplayable archive.

Log and GameEX.ini attached

GameEx.ini

log.txt

Do you have the "files in zip/7zip/rar" option turned on in the emulator settings?

Yes, and all other rom zips I've tried work fine. Its just this one that is not working, but it works fine outside of GameEx. So frustrating. Honestly nothing has gone very smooth in my setup. Even Mame took multiple tries and downloads to get working. What is going on with GameEX? I just put down $65 because I remember loving it in the past, so I figured I'd support it and get lifetime updates. Its been huge headaches so far..

Well bud, that's why it doesn't work. That setting is causing it to show the contents of the zip file. And those are the contents of the zip file. So it's doing exactly what it's supposed to. That setting is meant for zip files with multiple games inside them.

So I'm not trying to be a dick, but GameEx hasn't changed in that regard. This hobby isn't for everyone, and MAME is a complicated emulator. Blaming the front end isn't really fair. Your expectation of not needing to know anything about the emulator or skipping getting it running outside of GameEx is unrealistic.

/my 2c

For your demul issue... don't turn on that setting and then try it.

Keep in mind that MAME has gone through extensive changes, especially with the MESS integration. It has caused headaches for quite a few.

I suggest following Adultery's suggestion for changing that setting. If it doesn't work,  submit an updated copy of your log.txt file.  If it does work, let us know as well. 

Thanks! 

That worked, thank you both. Now I feel douchey. Weird how other roms were working fine.

Didn't mean to hate on the emulator. I think its great and prefer it miles more than the acid trip that is Hyperspin. It just seems like nothing's gone right this time around.