All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Zelda 30 Year Tribute

B2K24

Have you not played the original LoZ before @stigzler?  If you haven't, you should redress this issue immediately!  ;)  The nostalgia goggles are in full effect here, but even after all these years, the first title in the series is still my favorite.  I go back to it time and time again.  To my mind it is a perfect crystalline example of zen and the art of gaming, lol.

At any rate, I was able to make it to the first dungeon in this browser version.  No idea whether all the dungeons have been implemented (heh, I'm at work right now), but it does seem like a 1:1 representation of the original game from what little I've seen.

Pro Tip: Your first order of business should be to enter the cave you see on the very first screen.  It's dangerous to go alone don't 'cha know!  :D

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stigzler said:

Found first cave. Got a sword. NO idea what to do next. It doesn't give you many clues does it?

Ha, yeah not so much.  The original game actually came with a beautiful folded map of the the entire overworld (and possibly the first couple of dungeons as well, IIRC).  Back in the day we had it laminated and wrote our own annotations on it.  Ah ... good times.  Legend of Zelda was the very first console game I ever owned (I had played Atari 2600 at friends house, but the NES was my very first console).

I'm wondering if that missing screen is one of the shops; so possibly not such a complete translation after all, eh?  At any rate to get to the first dungeon, you go one screen over from the first one, and head north until you see a wooden bridge pointed west (granted this browser version doesn't really have 'screens' per se, but you can still kind of tell where the screen divisions would be).  Cross that bridge, head into the mouth of the spooky tree, and you're on your way.

If anyone hasne't already you should check out Zelda Classic and PureZC if your a classic zelda fan. There are tons of fan made Zelda adventures leveraging a game engine/map builder. You could try your hand at creating your own if you like. I have been out of the scene for awhile but there are some great old quests, and surely new golden ones. Highly recommended for that new retro experience.

I know this won't go over well, but I recall always hearing about this game.  I think I sub'd to Nintendo Power for something like 5 or 6 years, and I recall it was a staple, as for as titles that repeatedly came up.  Finally I couldn't take it anymore, and I went out and bought it.  I may have put 3 ~ 5 hours into it before I was scratching my head thinking, WTF.  I just never "got it".

A couple years later a guy that worked in my department had gotten hooked on the NES, so I gave him my copy, with that huge fold out map that null mentioned.  He wouldn't shut up about it, and for months that's all I heard.  Fast forward 12 years and my current co-worker; who's an avid gamer himself, says it's one of the greatest games he ever played, and credits it for his gaming addiction.

I dunno what I missed, but it just wasn't my cup of tea!

Like I said, I never played it.  My exposure to the NES was limited to my brother's friend growing up.  He only had SMB/Duck Hunt/World Track and Field (Not sure if that's what it's called, but it came with the floor mat), SMB2, SMB3, Ninja Turtles, Marble Madness, and Top Gun.  We would come home from school (they were 3 years younger than me) and while I was in the kitchen doing homework, they would be back in his room playing NES, and it was typically their mission to beat the game before we had to go home.  My mom and his mom worked together as child care providers, so once the kids they were watching got picked up, it was time for us to leave.  They would get about half way through a game (different each day) before we had to leave.  Fridays were special because we would sometimes spend the night and get to finish the game.  Sometimes they would get games from BlockBuster or the grocery store's video rental section (whatever happened to those?!).  Usually it was something like Battletoads (90% of the time).  But we never got/played Zelda.  So to me, I never played hardly ANY NES games.  Now that emulation is possible, I'm still finding myself playing those same games rather than expand my horizons into something else.  I've yet to give Zelda a try.  Final Fantasy is another game I'd like to try, but I'm actually trying to play it on the remastered PlayStation version (Final Fantasy Origins).

Should I opt to give Zelda a try... does it SAVE, or is it a "never turn your NES off or you'll have to star over" kind of game?  Or does it use passwords/etc?  I guess if you have the right emulator, you can probably save your position directly even if the game doesn't have that feature.

On 4/6/2016 at 5:57 PM, hansolo77 said:

Like I said, I never played it.  My exposure to the NES was limited to my brother's friend growing up.  He only had SMB/Duck Hunt/World Track and Field (Not sure if that's what it's called, but it came with the floor mat), SMB2, SMB3, Ninja Turtles, Marble Madness, and Top Gun.  We would come home from school (they were 3 years younger than me) and while I was in the kitchen doing homework, they would be back in his room playing NES, and it was typically their mission to beat the game before we had to go home.  My mom and his mom worked together as child care providers, so once the kids they were watching got picked up, it was time for us to leave.  They would get about half way through a game (different each day) before we had to leave.  Fridays were special because we would sometimes spend the night and get to finish the game.  Sometimes they would get games from BlockBuster or the grocery store's video rental section (whatever happened to those?!).  Usually it was something like Battletoads (90% of the time).  But we never got/played Zelda.  So to me, I never played hardly ANY NES games.  Now that emulation is possible, I'm still finding myself playing those same games rather than expand my horizons into something else.  I've yet to give Zelda a try.  Final Fantasy is another game I'd like to try, but I'm actually trying to play it on the remastered PlayStation version (Final Fantasy Origins).

Should I opt to give Zelda a try... does it SAVE, or is it a "never turn your NES off or you'll have to star over" kind of game?  Or does it use passwords/etc?  I guess if you have the right emulator, you can probably save your position directly even if the game doesn't have that feature.

It was the first game to have a battery backup to save if I remember correctly. You can only save after you die though. It's a good game. Half the fun is exploring and trying to find where you need to go to next. It's not as brutal a Metroid was a far as figuring out where to go. The puzzles are fairly easy as well. As an added bonus after you beat it you can run though a second time with the locations of the dungeons, and the dungeons themselves, changed up. Or create a new save file with the name "Link" to shortcut to the 2nd quest. You could probably work though the entire game in 10-15 hours. 

• 4 weeks later...