All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

CastAR

tthurman

I can see it working for some embedded situations, like windshields on vehicles to display GPS navigation information. It might make flight in poor conditions more intuitive, being able to see a virtual representation of your flight path, the horizon, ground, structures, and nearby aircraft.

I'm not convinced that they will be categorically different than Virtual Reality, I get the difference and limitations of both, but I see these being combined eventually. I think 3D cameras added to the Occulus to bring the real world in will bring AR to VR. Imagine your house is the level, the computer bad guys are loaded into reality, and you fight off a simulated home invasion. Or perhaps a lockdown situation at a school to train first responders! I could see this as an invaluable training tool. To separate the categories for me needs to be price. I'm willing to pay more for VR than AR, I think it would be more immersive to be able to add 100% Virtual into the 3D reality brought in by the cameras. IMO this is better accomplished by an enclosed headset blocking out natural light. If AR is to be the next step they need to be cheap enough to provide a good enough experience, since virtual augmented reality (VAR) will provide a superior experience at a higher price point.

This makes sense for architects, engineers, other professionals that work in 3D spaces and need something in between full VR and their computer (Auto CAD, master CAM, Sketchup, and what have you). Something that allows you to see your virtual model while drawing a blueprint for example.

Bringing board games to life could be cool, but I'm not paying 300 bucks for a board game! Ok maybe if it creates a category of AR board games that use the glasses you already purchased, but even then you would need 2-4 pairs! They need to be cheap enough to painlessly get another pair before this makes sense.

It's should make for some wicked cool virtual pinball :D

The way it's described, at least as I'm reading, it seems more advanced that the VR units. It would also seem to expand possibilities, perhaps HUD's for aircraft, perhaps automobiles at some point. Regardless, it's exciting to see Lawnmower Man type technology becoming a reality.

I see it as a next phase before true Holodeck technologies with lasers and force fields become real. Put on the glasses, and whatever room you're in instantly changes into whatever "reality" program is running. VR is total immersion, to the point where you can't see things around you in real life. This makes it difficult to track hands, etc. With this "AR", you can actually see your hands in front of you. Now that I think about it, wasn't GoogleGlass sort of the same thing?

I see it as a next phase before true Holodeck technologies with lasers and force fields become real. Put on the glasses, and whatever room you're in instantly changes into whatever "reality" program is running. VR is total immersion, to the point where you can't see things around you in real life. This makes it difficult to track hands, etc. With this "AR", you can actually see your hands in front of you. Now that I think about it, wasn't GoogleGlass sort of the same thing?

That's what I mean about bringing the "real world" into VR. With AR you essentially superimpose virtual elements onto real world objects. You are still looking through transparent glass (or plastic) LCD screen that displays the AR. With VR you can choose to block out all the real world while choosing how much real world you want to let in. I think VAR is more flexible in that sense. You get all the benefits of AR without the limitations (not being able to completely block out the real world). Of course the limitations of VAR are in 3D cameras and LCD resolutions having the same focal length, paripheral angle, and clarity of real eyes. This limitation is quickly disappearing though.

This is from the artical tthurman linked:

"The final thing is the AR/VR clip-ons. Those fit on top of the glasses. Through a series of optical expansions, they turn it into a full VR device, as well as an AR device, both of which don’t require the surface."

So they intend to get into the VR relm anyway. Treaturous territory with the bug guns of Occulus, Sony, Samsung, and more getting into that category. It seems a little late for a startup to fill this category. I wouldn't buy stock in them, but who knows, maybe they'll get acquired by facebook and join the occulus team. It depends on IP, which I thought was long ago established. AR has been around for awhile, I thought. I swear google had something like this in the works.