All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

One controller to rule them all!

sbuc1980

Hi Guys first post here so please be gentle, quick question please. I am looking to make a seamless Game Ex setup for my HTPC, my kids are loving Dolphin right now and I bought a Dolphinbar to use with it which works perfect for us but my question is can I use the Wiimote setup for other emulators using the bar? I have tried several methods and not quite got there yet and wonder if anyone else has any ideas? Years ago I bought a PS3 controller which I had setup and worked well but I just am looking to use one controller for everything rather than switching controllers.

If I could just use the Wiimote and map the buttons for other emulators that would be great. Anyone done this?

Thank you

Stu

Hi Stu and welcome to the forums,

Likely this will be a pipedream - sorry to be blunt there :unsure: But the Wiimote as awesome as it is, is designed for specific software/hardware and doesn't translate all that well to other systems (especially older systems). I'm not a naysayer though and would never claim it can't be done, however with my experience it would be one hell of a task to pull this off - so much so that you would probably end up resenting the Wiimote as a consequence :P

If however you think in the other direction, then a PS3/Xbox360 pad are probably your best options as a "universal" controller, particularly the 360 pad as it works with most emulators by default. Those that don't can be easily enabled using third-party software like Xpadder.

I'm not a guru on this subject though, and the Wii games i emulate usually have the Classic Controller or GameCube controller enabled like Monster Hunter, GoldenEye etc.

It's not unusual either to have multiple controllers attached to an HTPC - just take a look in the Gamer Rigs forum and you will find many setups that have 5, 10 or even more controllers attached and configured ^_^

There may be new ways of using a Wiimote on a PC that i'm not aware of, but as it stands i would just use a 360/PS3 for everything except Wii/Dolphin, and pull 'em out when needed :)

That's just my 2 cents though so take it as you will ;)

• Like 2

Controllers in the emu world are pretty much a necessary evil. Like remote controls, there are some that will let you get by acceptably, but there's nothing like the real thing in most cases. The fact something like the 4-play has been developed is pretty much a testament of this.

• Like 1

I am really hoping that the 4-play gets funded. Then I will be able to stop adding USB ports to the arcade..lol

Z.

So, does changing the wiimote mode not work for you sbuc?

I use an xbox 360 controller mainly but have a Dolphin Bar also (absolutely love it!!) and I thought pressing minus and right on the wiimote changes to game controller (Direct Input) mode? It's LED 3 I think?

• Like 1

I have a dolphin bar but I also have a couple of x360 controllers that I use for everything including Dolphin. I use the wiimote only for Wii games that specifically require it. But there is a dinput mode you can set your wiimote into and it can be used in anything that uses dinput (which is most emulators). I don't have a classic controller so idk how well it works but stuff like NES works perfectly with just the Wiimote in dinput mode. So yes, you should be able to, it says so in my instructions, but I can't confirm it because I have no classic controller.

My 360 controllers are set up for all my emulators (I have over 35 systems installed on my PC) and most emulators don't need to be configured because they have xinput support. There are a couple emulators that have problems like epsxe not registering the triggers, but as Adultery said Xpadder easily remedies this. I personally would use 360 controllers if I were you but I know they're a little pricey for a good new one. Mode 3 on the dolphin bar should enable dinput.

I just received my Dolphin Bar today after reading this thread a few days ago. First off, it's amazing. Secondly, from the manual it looks as if you can configure a Classic Controller without much hassle for other emulators. You'll have to switch to Game Controller Mode (LED 3). The button mappings are listed in the manual for the Dolphin Bar. I'll check later this week to see how well it works.

• Like 1

It's a worthy investment no doubt! I upgraded my cab to 64-bit Windows just for Dolphin and the bar. Best $30 I've spent in a long time.