All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

What Internet Provider Do You Use And Thoughts On Virgin Media? (UK)

KRC

Hey Guys,

Which of you use Virgin Media as your Internet provider and what are your thoughts on their service?

I have a package which has upto 152mb p/s and I'm still getting lag on some games through Steam and Xbox, I have had the hub replaced and I'm still getting lag, anybody else experience this?

I have troubleshooted everything and stilll have not come to a conclusion.

Shall I move providers?

Can you run clean a clean tracerout out of your network, or is their a absolute point where you start seeing packet loss? I would do some basic network testing to rule out simpler things. Assuming this is over coax, check your cable modem for the db's of your signal strength. They must be routinely within tolerance to maintain any type of consistent service, so check it during peak hours and off hours.

For instance, over the course of a a couple years I had issues with my Comcrap connection dropping, but they were always able to play with the signal strength and "fix it". Finally this was no longer possible, and I got lucky, and had a talented tech dispatched. My service line from the curb was shot after being in the ground for 20 years. New cable, and I've had outstanding service ever since. Likewise, something in your home could also be causing similar issue, so changing providers may not have any positive effect if the common problem is the feeder cable or one within the premise wiring.

• Like 1

Cheers Guys,

I finally cracked it, On my superhub router I had to open some random ports, reset the router, then I logged in to Xbox Live/Steam and voila. I think when I updated the firmware it erased my open ports.

But all is a-ok now :)